Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband / Wireless Setup

• 27-12-2005 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Lads i know this isn't strictly a broadband issue, but im not getting any help from the net/comms & Wireless Forums!

Can anyone give me a guide to setting up a wireless router on an wired eircom DSL line.

i.e What addresses to set up where, what settings i need to have running or not !

The wired Router is a netopia.

The Wireless router is a Linksys.

Im not that good with wireless so step by step stuff here guys if you can!

Cheers Lads

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

srdb20 wrote:
    Lads i know this isn't strictly a broadband issue, but im not getting any help from the net/comms & Wireless Forums!

Can anyone give me a guide to setting up a wireless router on an wired eircom DSL line.

i.e What addresses to set up where, what settings i need to have running or not !

The wired Router is a netopia.

The Wireless router is a Linksys.

Im not that good with wireless so step by step stuff here guys if you can!

Cheers Lads

Broadly the most important thing seems to be putting the netopia into bridge mode. If you do not do that then both items attempt to act as a router so you have a conflict. When its in bridge mode the netopia just gets the signal from the line and passes it onto the router which will do the rest.
    the manual should tell you how to put the netopia into bridge mode.

You then set up the wireless router with the settings you would use in the netopia.
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=97&E=0000000000006667733&K=1170&Sxi=13&Problem=obj(6838)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

ok i went through this last week
    First get the net working all good and well before throwing the Linksys into the works

Then change the netopia's ip address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1

Now get into the linksys system change your ssid "from LYNKSYS" to what ever
    turn off dynamic dns and change it from a router to a gateway

Now if you connect the wire from the netopia to the linksys WAN and the pc from the linksys
    Every thing should be sorted

If you need more info give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 telecom75

i need a blow by blow account of how to set up my netopia and my linxsys as i want to use my laptop away from my pc and use the speed of broadband elsewhere in the house.i need you to assume that i know nothing.i from barcelona ha ha
    tnx guys n`gals:confused:

Advertisement