Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up home weather station

Options
  • 27-12-2005 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought this.
    I would like some advice on where to site the remote temp sensor to get the most accurate temps for outside.

Thanks for your help.

007 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Location may be dictated by where you want your display/receiver and what the range is between sensor and receiver

Most important is to shield sensor from the sun, so place on north side of fence wall etc. Even then the morning and evening sun in summer would still get it, unless other buildings etc are keeping it in shade. Sensor is best a few feet above ground and exposed if possible to the ambient air.
    In most domestic situations, positioning of sensors is a compromise.

Just looking at product description again, and am wondering, is the temp sensor actually cordless from the display, or is it the display that is cordless with the temp sensor attached?

My reply is based on the former

Edit: perhaps, If I read your post again I would have seen "remote temp sensor" sooner, so that answers Q :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thanks Mothman. I have it all set up ok now. Currently a cold -2 outside.

One more thing, I need to enter the correct barrometric reading. I have no way of doing this. Is there a source of info that will give me a recent reading close to me to put into it. I have found weather reports for Birr and Kilkenny (closest to me) but they don't mention pressure.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1018 is good for this afternoon

Thanks Danno!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I picked one up this evening in Finglas, so there are still some to be got around.

Its a nice piece of kit, but I will have to position the remote sensor properly... for tonight its sitting on a wall. I'm waiting for the outside temp to settle, its at 7.9C and falling, but pressure is reading (Cabra) 1013 hPa

The only thing it cant do is check for wind. But nice all the same.

• Advertisement

DMC wrote:
    but pressure is reading (Cabra) 1013 hPa

Try 1001 hPa for now, though depending when you read this, it's dropping at about 1 hPa/hr

The only thing it cant do is check for wind. But nice all the same.
    It didn't look as if it had a rain gauge?

You have to adjust the pressure setting manually to your area DMC. Mine didn't start working properly till I manually put in the pressure.

Thanks squire, set it to what it says on Weather Watcher in my systray for at 2330 for Dublin... both are faithful at 999 :)

DMC wrote:
    Thanks squire, set it to what it says on Weather Watcher in my systray for at 2330 for Dublin... both are faithful at 999 :)

That'll be very close to the mark :)

Mothman wrote:
    It didn't look as if it had a rain gauge?

Oh, aye.. and that :o but it gives a forecast showing rain clouds... simple, but effective.

• Advertisement
Advertisement