Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L' Equipe Team of the Year

• 27-12-2005 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Gregory Coupet
    Willy Sagnol -John Terry -Jamie Carragher - Paolo Maldini
    Kaka - Steven Gerrard- Frank Lampard -Ronaldinho
    Chevtchenko- Samuel Eto'o

Dodgy translation Article from the french
    The Eleven 2005, ideal team of the year for the journalists of the Team, was revealed Tuesday. Two French, Grégoy Coupet and Willy Sagnol appear in the formation. Only three players elected in 2004, John Terry, Ronaldinho and Andreï Chevtchenko preserve their place in the vintage 2005. The team: Grégory Coupet (Olympic Lyonese, FRA) - Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich, FRA), John Terry (Chelsea, ANG), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool, ANG), Paolo Maldini (Milan AC, ITA) - Kaka (Milan AC, BRE), Frank Lampard (Chelsea, ANG), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool, ANG), Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona, BRE), Chevtchenko (Milan AC, UKR), Samuel Eto' O (FC Barcelona, CAMWOOD).

The tricolour players make their return in the Eleven of the year. They had missed in 2004. Intractable in the cage of the OL, Coupet carries out the high dragee to Fabien Barthez in that of the team of France. Essential in Bayern Munich, Sagnol is from now on a framework impossible to circumvent of the Blue ones. The men of Raymond Domenech succeed respectively the Buffon Italian and Brazilian Cafu. The legendary captain of Milan AC, Paolo Maldini and the English John Terry and Jamie Carragher supplement the rear-guard.

Deprived of Balloon of Gold "France Football" and the title of player FIFA of the year 2005 by Ronaldinho, after one year full, Frank Lampard appears logically in the Eleven. Blue is shouldered by Red and compatriot Steven Gerrard, third with the classification of the Gold Balloon. Brazilian Kaka and Ronaldinho seize without surprised the places offensive mediums. First is rewarded in particular for its services out of Cut for the Confederations, gained last summer by Seleçao, the second is for the whole of its work. Prize winner of the fiftieth Gold Balloon, player FIFA of the year, the fantastic player of Barça continues his raid of trophies and honors.

With the point of the attack, Andreï Shevchenko still appears. Already present in the Eleven 2004, the Ukrainian is honoured for his active role in the qualification with his selection to the his realism and World cup 2006 in Milan AC, however private of title. The FC Barcelona counts a second representative in the person of Samuel Eto' O. The Cameronian integrates the Eleven for the first time. Current better striker of Liga with 17 achievements, the "Lion untameable" carries out a first half of blazing season.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Can't really argue with too many of those selections IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Good selection tbh, except for maybe sagnol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Not a single Juventus player?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Sagnol is a good right back imo, Have you seen him play for Bayern?

PHB wrote:
    Not a single Juventus player?
    Looking by the way the team is lined up it looks like it is based on performances in Europe.

Out of interest which Juventus player do you think should be included in the line up?
    phenom wrote:
    Sagnol is a good right back imo, Have you seen him play for Bayern?
    He is also French which probably makes a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Out of interest which Juventus player do you think should be included in the line up?
    The best centre half in the world and the captain of an international team renowned for its defensive ability would have a chance of getting in. :)

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281820

eirebhoy wrote:
    The best centre half in the world and the captain of an international team renowned for its defensive ability would have a chance of getting in. :)
    I agree he is definitely one of the best, but I think the purpose of the team is to gauge how good of a year each player has had, as opposed to list the best XI in the world.

Carragher and Terry have had as good a year as any IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

thats a mouthwatering line up. Four Englishers is a big surprise. I think the players deserve it mind you

I agree he is definitely one of the best, but I think the purpose of the team is to gauge how good of a year each player has had, as opposed to list the best XI in the world.

Carragher and Terry have had as good a year as any IMO.
    I don't see much of Juve but according to that thread:

"Cannavaro has been absolutely amazing the last season and a half (I.E. since he joined JUVE), turned a defence from was beginning to grow very afraid into one of the finest in the world!"

I see a lot of Carragher and Terry. Its tough to say whether Cannavaro deserves to be in ahead of either but of all the Juve players he probably deserves to be in the team most and Juve are a quality team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Emerson, Cannavaro, Buffon & Ibrahimovic are brilliant players that should be in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Gregory Coupet
    Surely both Dida & Cech had a better 2005?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Dempsey wrote:
    Emerson, Cannavaro, Buffon & Ibrahimovic are brilliant players that should be in there

and you fail to mention Zambrotta who has the best claim of all of them and should be there instead of Sangol .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

^^^

Zambrotta is highly underrated outside of Italy, he is the best left back in the world in my opnion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Zambrotta is a world class full back, how did I forgot him. Maldini has played very well despite his age. Nedved and Vieira deserve a mention also

I actually forgot Zambrotta too. He's a cert for all my CL fantasy football teams. :)

Advertisement