Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL pins

• 27-12-2005 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure where this should go, Wireless / Broadband / Nets

Just purchased a Netgear DG834GT ADSL Modem / Wireless router and for the life of me I cannot get DSL to connect. All else is fine, Wireless, LAN etc.

Everything has been setup as per our exisiting IOL BB Zyxel Modem with repect to PPPoE, username@iolbb,password, LLC, VPI - 8, VCI - 35, NAT on.

It never even connects, doesn't get to the negotiating / authenticating stage. However if I plug in the Zyxel it is up in a few seconds.

One thing that worries me, the suppled microfilter will not work with the Zyxel I am using the one I got from IOL/BT and furthermore: according to the manual:

-=-=-=-
    Verify that you are connected to the correct telephone line. If you have more than one phone line, be sure that you are connected to the line with the ADSL service. It may be necessary to use a swapper if you ADSL signal is on pins 1 and 4 or the RJ-11 jack. The DG834GT Super Wireless ADSL Router uses pins 2 and 3.
    =-=-=-=-

Is this correct for Ireland? Anyone ever have a similar problem?

On the verge of returning this...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

reset the router, and enter in your info into the config but only the bare minimum and in order according to your manual.
    i set up a linksys that if you turned your timezone to gmt before you had saved the minimum info it wouldn't connect.
    you could also try and upgrade the firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Believe me I have tried everything, reset, firmware upgrade, I have done this countless times however this is my first with a Netgear ADSL Modem / Router.

Anyone one else, it is going back otherwise in favour of something I know that works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Did you get it from the UK? The UK has a different pin layout than Ireland. Does the phone cabling from your original modem/router not work with the Netgear router?

I have a fairly old Netgear ADSL router that I bought from the UK and I couldn't use the supplier filter or the cable, if I recall. I got an "Irish" filter and it worked fine.

Got it in PC World, Galway (Don't ask, my dad wanted me to sort it before returning home after crimbo)

Tried the original filter also, I literally plug the phone line out of the Zyxel (which is connected and works!) and into the Netgear. Netgear has a status screen but it never gets past the connecting stage and onto the authentication stage.

Not sure what to do next, return it, contact IOL tech support (prob. wont support it), contact Netgear support?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Bring it back to PC World and/or ask them how to connect it. It's possible PC World sells UK spec routers. The fact that you can't get the Zyxel to work with the Netgear's cable + filter to me indicates that there's something weird going on. I presume you've tried all combinations, eg Netgear cable with Zyxel filter?

Does the Netgear come with the UK-type connector, a sort of [white] flat thing? There are adapters for those that will make UK phone appliances work in Ireland. They're only a couple of squids but PC World should supply those free of charge if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Blaster99 wrote:

Does the Netgear come with the UK-type connector, a sort of [white] flat thing? There are adapters for those that will make UK phone appliances work in Ireland. They're only a couple of squids but PC World should supply those free of charge if necessary.

like this fella

vanga_plug-in_data_voice_adapters_vanga.jpg

BT plug to IT socket adaptor. should be no more than €3

Hi ended up returning this, the guys in PC World were no help, and I noticed a few of these in the 'bargains' section so I assume others had returned them.

I did notice lots of people on the Netgear user forums having similar issues, and one suggested fix was modifying the MTU size on the router however as my modem/router was failing to connect at all I doubt much difference would be made.

Anyway opted (as I wanted to do in the first place) for a Linksys kit from Komplett, will use the Zyxel in Bridge mode seeing as I know it can connect.

Advertisement