Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How high can Liverpool finish?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tusky wrote:
    Lemin, youre making lots of sillly points and comparisons. Liverpool are 17 points behind Chelsea....because Chelsea are a much better team, not because Liverpools form has been bad. IMO they have only had a few disappointing results this season. Comparing an attack minded wingers goals to a defensive midfielder/playmakers ( who was also seriously injured last season ) is also silly.

You're mistaken there. I was not the one who said Liverpool have only had 2 disappointing results all season. As I'm pointing out, they've obviously had more or they wouldn't be 17 points behind. The 2 all draw with Brum, the loss to Crystal Palace, the loss to Fulham and the 4-1 loss to Chelsea. There's 4 off the top of my head already.

I honestly can't see how I've gotten into this argument anyway. I joined this thread by praising Liverpool's form but it appears that the Liverpool fans on here think I have a problem with 'Pool even when I am praising them.

I feel Cristiano Ronaldo had a good season last year. He started well and I can remember games where he was on top-form, especially against Liverpool that night when Rio returned.

As for comparing him to Alonso, I'm trying to show the fact that a midfielder cannot be rated on goals and assists alone. Alonso may have been injured too, but he only started five less games in the PL than Ronaldo last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Lemlin how can one compare ronaldo to alonso, both are different tyep of players.

If my memory corrects me ronaldo plays as a winger for Utd or as a withdrawn striker.

Alonso plays as a deep lying midfielder but ever since sissoko signed hes playing alot further up the pitch.

Yes today was a blip but im delighted, noone can stop chelsea with the players they have. Liverpool will challeng them strongely next season and wait for it we have only spent a fraction of what chelsea have done. Even portsmouth now have a russian billionaire so who knows.

Any liverpool side that includes troare will always struggle. The could and should have won it.

Liverpool will battle it out with Utd for 2nd place. ATM if they win their game in hand they go second with Utd playing arsenal at highbury tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Lemlin wrote:
    You're mistaken there. I was not the one who said Liverpool have only had 2 disappointing results all season. As I'm pointing out, they've obviously had more or they wouldn't be 17 points behind. The 2 all draw with Brum, the loss to Crystal Palace, the loss to Fulham and the 4-1 loss to Chelsea. There's 4 off the top of my head already.

I honestly can't see how I've gotten into this argument anyway. I joined this thread by praising Liverpool's form but it appears that the Liverpool fans on here think I have a problem with 'Pool even when I am praising them.

I feel Cristiano Ronaldo had a good season last year. He started well and I can remember games where he was on top-form, especially against Liverpool that night when Rio returned.

As for comparing him to Alonso, I'm trying to show the fact that a midfielder cannot be rated on goals and assists alone. Alonso may have been injured too, but he only started five less games in the PL than Ronaldo last season.

I never said that you said they only had 2 dissapointing results...I only said I felt they only had a few bad results. I wasnt even arguing with you in regard to Ronaldo, I didnt see enough of him last season to comment.

I was merely poiting out that you cant compare a player like Ronaldo to a player like Alonso, be you in the right about him or not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tusky wrote:
    I never said that you said they only had 2 dissapointing results...I only said I felt they only had a few bad results. I wasnt even arguing with you in regard to Ronaldo, I didnt see enough of him last season to comment.

I was merely poiting out that you cant compare a player like Ronaldo to a player like Alonso, be you in the right about him or not :)

Yes, and I was pointing out that I never said Liverpool's form was bad. Read the posts and you will see that I said it was good. It was Jivin Turkey who remarked that they have not went through a blip this season and only had 2 disappointing results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

galwaydude wrote:

Yes today was a blip but im delighted

TBH, you've every reason to be. I've yet to see the highlights, but performance aside Liverpool took a point where two other sides currently in the top 6 took 0 (Spurs and Arsenal) Before today Bolton had only lost 1 game at home (won 5, drawn 2) conceeding only 2 goals in the process. Its a tough place to visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'm aiming for 3rd, 2nd would be fantastic, 4th would be meeting expectations and 5th a disappointment as it was last season.

1st is highly unlikely, it'd take a major mess up by chelsea and if there's a sniff of that then United will be going for blood just as much as Liverpool so 1st would still be a challenge. Arsenal are still dangerous and to be honest there's several other teams that ain't exactly far behind Liverpool.

United and Arsenal draw would suit me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

aparently liverpool have signed a new deal with adidas worth 130 million over 10 years. Money will be provided for the january sales. I still think we need a new striker as crouch was muscled out of the game against bolton and both moro and cisse was injured.Cisse though wasnt fully fit and came on for the last 10 minutes. Flo was very poor yesterday he needs to bulk up as he is been pushed off the ball too easily.

Hopefully it will be a draw tonight as im sure arsenal are hurting alot with the way their season has gone so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

If I was a Liverpool supporter, I'd be hoping for an Arsenal win. They have no chance of catching Liverpool, Man Utd do.

Triton wrote:
    If I was a Liverpool supporter, I'd be hoping for an Arsenal win. They have no chance of catching Liverpool, Man Utd do.
    As a Liverpool fan I've thought that one through. 2 weeks ago or whenever there was justification for us to want Arsenal to beat Chelsea, I saw it more important to keep Arsenal down as they're more of an opponent for Liverpool then we are for Chelsea (no matter how positive our results are during this current patch). So I was happy with the Chelsea win.

Arsenal are capable of putting together some form, and Liverpool are capable of losing theirs so they're definitely not too far behind to catch us - being purely negative I see a draw as our best result. That'd mean our draw with Bolton hadn't cost us anything in terms with catching United and Arsenal will still not be making any ground.

A victory for them against United could be just the tonic to see them start rising again, and they'd be dangerous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, a bit of overarrogance there.

People forget just how good a team Arsenal can be when they are playing on form, and to suggest that they can't make up an 8 point gap between now and the rest of the season is laughable.

Remember Man Utd and Arsenal and Chelsea always pull away from the rest of the pack after Christmas, when the true test of your squad comes into play. Thats why Wigan won't be there unless some magical happens, like Everton last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think Spurs and arsenal will battle for 4th, realistically i expect liverpool to finish second or third, nobody will catch chelsea, its over for this year, chelsea dropped just 5 points from 63 and i dont expect them to drop much more than 5 or 10 points in the second half of the season, United and liverpool will drop at least 10 points between now and the end of the season

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, a bit of overarrogance there.
    From someone not claiming to be a Liverpool fan I'll hope you note ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Lemlin wrote:
    And I could harp on about you not checking yours. Ronaldo scored 5 goals and had 4 assists last season.
    What are you on about? When did I ever say he didn't? I said it took him 19 games to score his first. Hardly an "unstoppable" start to the season. He was fatigued and even given a rest by Ferguson.

Like I said ask any United fan as to how Ronaldo played at the beginning of last year, you won't find a single one over the age of 14 that says "unstoppable".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

1. Chelski
    2. Liverpool
    3. Man.u
    4. Bolton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

oooh controversial!

• Advertisement
Advertisement