Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topping up a credit card

Options
  • 27-12-2005 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hey all,

am off on my hols to France next week. I don't have a Cirrus card so I'm thinking of sticking a grand into my credit card (it's clear at the moment) and using it as an atm card when I'm over there. Just wondering will I get stuck with the €1.50 cash advance fee every time I withdraw, even if my account is in credit

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

radioman wrote:
    Hey all,

am off on my hols to France next week. I don't have a Cirrus card so I'm thinking of sticking a grand into my credit card (it's clear at the moment) and using it as an atm card when I'm over there. Just wondering will I get stuck with the €1.50 cash advance fee every time I withdraw, even if my account is in credit

cheers

You shouldn't, but check the Ts and Cs of your own card, as it tends to vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Get a Switcher A/C with Permanent TSB. Cash withdrawals free with the Laser card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

cheers

yeah if I thought of this earlier I'd have applied for the Switcher a/c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't you have to pay conversion rates on the credit card ?

Edit ... yeh... so it's euro now ... I'll go back to bed ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Merik

Hi

I'm speaking from AIB credit card experience only.

I've done this a few times when I was going on holidays to visit friends in Asia. Put the credit card into credit. Any money I've withdraw from a bank machine using the credit card did not accumulate a cash advance fee. Am sure I've read this over the years which was the reason I did it in the 1st place :)

Everything was billed in local monies and converted by AIB to the euro amount on my statement, the conversion rate appeared on the tatement I think, again the conversion rate is up to them, its probably based on the rate that day that they advertise. Again no way to avoid that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Note that there is a security risk in pre-loading your credit card. If your card is stolen and abused, you may find that the pre-loaded amount is treated differently by the bank when you come looking for your money back. Speak to your own bank and check the T's & C's for more details.

Advertisement