Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Askeaton Co Limerick

• 27-12-2005 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Our local exchange in Askeaton Co Limerick had just been broadband enabled. The exchange is about 1 1/2 miles from where I live (about 1/2 mile from the town) We already have Isdn and I did the line test on eircoms page an BT's and it failed. Is there anything I can do. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I rang all three providers this morning and got the same answer. My 2 neighbours at either side of me have been approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Your line is more than likely in bad condition or is split which means you wont be able to get broadband. Unless the line is improved, this is up to €ircon which means you have two chances.
    Register your interest at http://www.smarttelecom.ie/ when enough people signup they will enable the exchange. You MIGHT be able to get broadband with there ADSL2+ products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Fionn^ wrote:
    Our local exchange in Askeaton Co Limerick had just been broadband enabled. The exchange is about 1 1/2 miles from where I live (about 1/2 mile from the town) We already have Isdn and I did the line test on eircoms page an BT's and it failed. Is there anything I can do. Any help is appreciated.

I live in the town and am all signed up with digiweb waiting for the modem and router to arrive woohoo bring it on :D

hello John :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

his line will not pass till he downgrades from ISDN, ring them on 1800503303 because the downgrade (cost 25) has to be done the day the BB is live.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    his line will not pass till he downgrades from ISDN, ring them on 1800503303 because the downgrade (cost 25) has to be done the day the BB is live.

Dont the online tests take this into account?

no. isdn = test fail (but isdn = no carrier line too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

that explains a lot i was wondering thatnks for the info

Sponge Bob wrote:
    no. isdn = test fail (but isdn = no carrier line too)

you think they would tell you that when you use the online test.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Sponge Bob. I asked eircom about that and they told me that isdn wouldn't have any baring on the test......bunch of con artists. I've asked them to take away my isdn line so hopefully I'll pass the line test soon.

irishguy wrote:
    you think they would tell you that when you use the online test.

will they *&^* ISDN users are their best customers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

having isdn should not affect the test, it should pass if the line is capable, the quality of the line is probably the most likely explanation, ive seen lads been told they will never be able to get broadband, their line just isnt strong enough to take it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unfortunately the Backward Telecoms in this country does need an old POTS line . ISDN will make it fail.

Other countries can run just as fast dsl (or faster vdsl) over ISDN.

It is a crime that you have to get rid of ISDN, but it is true!

BTW if the line supports ISDN it almost certinally can work adsl. Esp. at that distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Fionn^ wrote:
    I rang all three providers this morning and got the same answer. My 2 neighbours at either side of me have been approved.

That has to be a balls :mad:

I rang eircom today to check how long before they downgraded my line to a Pstn line. Girl told me that there was no record of my previous request and I had to order a new downgrade which could take up to 28 days :mad: She also said that downgrading the line might not make any difference as I could be on a different exchange to my next door neighbours on either side of me. Eircom are hilarious.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    because the downgrade (cost 25) has to be done the day the BB is live.

Should my line pass eventually even though It won't be downgraded for 28 days or more. Its a new type isdn plug and play box, is there any way I can downgrade the line myself. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Fionn^ wrote:
    Should my line pass eventually even though It won't be downgraded for 28 days or more. Its a new type isdn plug and play box, is there any way I can downgrade the line myself. Thanks for your help.

No - it's done at the exchange level. the box in the house is a NTU (it's a digital service) - you are connected to a digital port in the exchange - ADSL can not be carried on the same exchange port....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

cupthehand wrote:
    I live in the town and am all signed up with digiweb waiting for the modem and router to arrive woohoo bring it on :D

Got all my gear but when i connected it all up couldn't log onto internet, rang Digiweb support which were very helpful last tuesday. Modem kept failing loopback test they said this was either an issue with internal wiring in the house itself (wiring is fairly new ~3-4 years old only) or else because the exchange is only just after being upgraded 3 weeks ago I was one of the first to get broadband so it may be experiencing teething problems.
    Anyway Digiweb have logged the issue with the exchange with Eircom since last Tuesday and as of today they still have not heard nothing back from them :mad:
    What can I do just wait....?

After waiting 7 long weeks, Eircom are finally downgrading my isdn line on Friday 24th. How can I get them to do a line test on that day. Do they have to send someone out or can they do the line test over the phone. Any help is appreciated..... thanks.

• Advertisement

The eircom engineer should ring in and have the test done the very second he removes the isdn box , if its a pass you get enabled in minutes

Hey, that was fast :) . Thanks for all your help Sponge Bob

Eircom engineer came a day early and uninstalled isdn. I asked him to a line test but he said the line was too noisy and that it would fail the line test. He logged the fault with eircom. I have a sky + digibox connected to the line and a the phone is an eircom cordless one. My next door neighbour had just got broadband and the other neighbour has already passed the line test.
    Don't really know what to do now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unplug the cordless phone. They are notorious for creating noise. The Digibox is polite.

An eircom technician came and fixed the noise on the line. I replaced the wirless phone with a standard phone and disconnected the digibox but I'm still failing the line test. I rang eircoms broadband department and asked for a manual test. The girl asked her supervisor and then told they do not carry out manual tests. She said I would have to wait for 3-4 weeks before my line would be tested again. I sent Phil Nolan the following email

Dear Phil
    I am living 2.5km from the Askeaton exchange which has recently been broadband enabled. Despite downgrading from an isdn to a pstn line and living within the required distance from the exchange I'm still failing the line test. The line is not split as it was previously an isdn line. I have also checked to make sure that I actually am on the Askeaton exchange. Taking all this into consideration I can't understand how I am still failing the line test

Amber Program:
    From 27 May, any Eircom customer who is linked to a broadband-enabled exchange will be guaranteed a service so long as they place an order. The two exceptions will be customers who live too far from the exchange to receive broadband - the current limit for DSL coverage is 4.5km from an exchange - and those whose lines have been split to carry other operators.

I need a dsl line at home for business, and for an Oscail distance learning course that I am doing. I read on Boards.ie that you were most helpful with anyone who contacted you with a similar type request. I would very much appreciate it if you could help me out with my situation. The number in question is ********* and the account number is *********.

And I received this reply

RE: Broadband

Mr. *******

Thank you for your e-mail. We have referred your query to our Broadband Management Team. They will investigate the issues that you have raised below and as soon as they have an update they will revert to you.

Regards.

Executive Assistant to Dr. Philip Nolan.

Hopefully I'll eventually pass the line test

I thought the tech rang the BB department to get an instant test done as part of the ISDN Downgrade for BB process. having you ring up to get the standard crap that Eircom gives their customers sounds wrong.

Be handy if (a ) edit out that womans name :p and (b) you post what should have happened once you find out what should have happened

By my reckoning you are still in the ISDN downgrade and instant test process cost €25

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I thought the tech rang the BB department to get an instant test done as part of the ISDN Downgrade for BB process. having you ring up to get the standard crap that Eircom gives their customers sounds wrong.

Be handy if (a ) edit out that womans name :p and (b) you post what should have happened once you find out what should have happened

Forgot about the assistants name. :o The tech that carried out the downgrade said that there was too much noise on the line (it was impossible to hear anything on the line after the downgrade and I couldn't get dial up to work) and that I would fail the line test . He reported a fault on the line and a 2nd tech came out yesterday to fix it. The line is perfect now but its still failing the line test. So it looks like I have to wait for the next round of tests to be carried out or hopefully my email might hurry up the process a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Point of order, your honour, but this isn't true. ISDN lines can pass the online prequal test. I've known this to be the case for in and around a year now. I've just checked 5 ISDN (using the main MSN) numbers and 4/5 pass.

Fionn^, if you use Netsource's line checker you should see a previous test date that might help you determine when the next test is due (although the ISDN>PSTN downgrade might render that useless, I know of one case where it didn't, but that's all). You might also try ringing again and see if you can order a manual test. I know of one person who did this last month and succeeded. Neither he nor I know if a test was indeed carried out, but they did ring him about an hour later to say his previously failed line was now passing. Others, here, have reported it to be possible, but many more report the same as you (that it can't be done), so try another call or 2 and see if you get anywhere.

.cg

I did another line test on netsource.ie this morning and it passed. It said the last test was carried out yesterday. Yay! :D The email definitely hurried things up. Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. Now to order line rental and 3mb dsl from BT.

• Advertisement
Advertisement