Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funderland.

• 27-12-2005 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering has anybody been yet? If so was it worth going? Have they got any new rides?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Its a complete ripoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Yeah its crap, new thing is some big swing thing that you freeze your balls off on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you travel on the dart to funderland present your ticket and you're in for free (don't know how much that saves you but what the hey).

saw the poster on the dart a couple of days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

entry fee is usually only a couple of euro, its on the rides that you get ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Funderland never has new rides.Yet I still go every year.I'm sure they'll have the samee rides as usual.Wildmouse etc. That and overpriced candyfloss and funny lookin' carnies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Funderland was great about 10 years ago. Now it's full of knackers......... Don't bring anything valuable

Ahem.Funderland was and is always full of knackers.Once I lost my phone in there and some very nice person returned it to me.So don't be so snobby. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

spiderlegs wrote:
    Ahem.Funderland was and is always full of knackers.Once I lost my phone in there and some very nice person returned it to me.So don't be so snobby. :p

Same thing haooened to me.Phone flew ou of my pocket on one ride.some guy was waiting when I got off and handed it back to me

Exactly. Phones in pockets are dangerous..they always fall out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Last time I was in Funderland I puked all over the place. I was on that tarantula thing and let me tell ya, a feed of beers and a fried breakfast followed immediately by Funderland is a BAD IDEA ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭OsamaBinLaden

13 years ago i was pickpocketed in funderland. three young ones walked up behind me, on of them poked my in the back as a distraction while she stole what was in my pocket. 10 minutes later (i was still standing in the same place) they put the bundled up piece of paper back into my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

a few mates and myself were leaving a few years ago, we were about 16, and a little 10 year old scumbag came up to me and hit me on the back. i didnt hit him back because he had ten bigger mates behind him. instead i legged it back into the place while the big one chased me for some reason. a good night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

i'm telling you..... it's full of knackers. oh and 14 year old oompa loopmas. 10 years ago i would have advocated Funderland as the next Disneyland. now..... well you know my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Funderland is ****e. End of.

Spend all your money with nothin to show for it but nausea.

Daddio wrote:
    Funderland is ****e. End of.

Spend all your money with nothin to show for it but nausea.

^^ add to my above argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Full of scum. Used to live nearby and always had trouble with damage to our cars, the neighbours, and even full bottles of beer thrown through windows. Obviously not everyone who goes to it is scum, but it does attract some filthy pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Devon

...and the rides are bloody ancient! Anyone agree? That thing that doesn't leave the ground where the biggest person has to sit on the outside is as old as me if not older.

Overpriced for the first week or so, but they always drop the prices in the new year to get the last few remaining crowds before all goes back to normal.

Still, I would imagine the RDS would be an expensive place to hire out for the 2-3 weeks it's there? Add staff and the massive power bill on top of rent and they might not be making as much as we all think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

It gets worse every year, less rides and more of those rip-off prize stalls that cheat everyone out of their money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Funderland has not changed since around Italia '90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Do you know what,since I came onto boards tonight and looked into afterhours I completely forgot about "Funderland".I am amazed I havent seen any advertising about it.....

It was always a rip off but people still go..The piped piper me thinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It diverts a hell of a lot of knackers away from places such as clubs, pubs etc for a few nights, so I'm not complaining.

Haven't been there in years personally, amn't too pushed to go back either.

Though there was that one hottie carnie girl....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Dub13 wrote:

Hahahahahahahhahaa

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

complete rip-off, we went there last year and the majority of people were scum, im glad i had zips on my coat pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I am meant to be going there in the next few days, will let you know how i get on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

I lost my phone there the other day it flew out of my pocket on a ride.
    The people working there were so ignorant just completely dismissed me when i was trying to find it.NEVER going back.
    And the amount of scumbags there. its horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i'm surprised non knacker people are actually dumb enough to go to this place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

In fairness...it's pretty dumb to go on a rollercoaster or other ride without putting your phone/wallet in your trouser pocket or a zipped pocket. Imagine how many people lose their phones every day at theme parks, it must be head wrecking for the staff.

I think funderland is ok, if you go with a crowd of friends it's fun, but it's not a patch on a proper theme park obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

To clear up a few things:

Yes, present your Dart ticket and you will be allowed in, saving you €1.50 entry fee.

Funderland is not the same as it was around Italia 90.This year alone 3 new rides have arrived - Star Flyer (brand new this August to Germany), Booster (this is the first time it has ever been outside Germany) and Extreme, seen for the first time in Ireland at Funderland.Last year Sensorium and Take Off were new, the year before Power Tower and Jura World were new, the year before that GForce was new.There are some rides which have been around for a while (Wild Mouse, Speed Loop, Waltzer etc.) but these are seen as traditional fairground rides and the families love them.Feedback shows that these rides are very popular.

Re the nackers - yes Funderland does attract a lot of trouble and I hate this about the place.However, there are certain days which over the years attract the most trouble.These are particularly the first four days and the last weekend.The last week is grand - the young scientist entries invade it every day!During the second week is the calmest when most families and non-nacker teens visit.

Re the price - it's a business, not a charity!It has lots of overheads too but a good day can be had for €30.That's only about a fiver more than an adult ticket, popcorn, a drink and a bag of sweets in the UGC.Funderland is special - when else can you fly 200 feet above the ground without shelling out hundreds for parasailing?When else can you go at 20 rpm 60 feet above the ground without either getting a speeding ticket or a car crash??

Funderland is one of Dublin's most popular Christmas events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Sorchie

I went to funderland yesterday and had a good time, except when I came home my back was killing me from all the banging on the rides and I was very sick for the rest of the day because of a very dodgy hotdog I had eaten there after.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭LORDOFDOOM

If you like funderland, it's safe to assume you like scanda jackets and sovereign rings too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Stop posting.

Actually, after reviewing your post history, **** that! Banned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

actually, i quite like funderland and im not a big fan of scanda jackets and soverign rings, i hate them. funderland is good craic. plus ya get a great drug there.. one thats free too... adrenalyn... an adrenalyn rush is great!

I couldn't agree more, I love Funderland and funfairs.I hope to go to some of the big American theme parks soon to see the big line of rollercoasters.Believe it or not, Funderland does have one of the best line-ups of what we call flat rides (platform rides, without tracks) in the world.Germany and other continental European countries are the best in the business for flat rides, where most of Funderland's rides come from.

The big theme parks are really all about the rollercoasters - they keep getting bigger, higher, faster and come with more inversions now.However on the flat ride score they rate only averagely!It depends which you like more - manually run flat rides or the best rollercoasters in the world.Personally I prefer the flat rides - there's such spontanaity to it.Different rides on one machine aren't the same, unlike a rollercoaster which follows a track every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭OsamaBinLaden

Dub13 wrote:
    what year was that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

LiamD wrote:
    To clear up a few things:

Yes, present your Dart ticket and you will be allowed in, saving you €1.50 entry fee.

Funderland is not the same as it was around Italia 90.This year alone 3 new rides have arrived - Star Flyer (brand new this August to Germany), Booster (this is the first time it has ever been outside Germany) and Extreme, seen for the first time in Ireland at Funderland.Last year Sensorium and Take Off were new, the year before Power Tower and Jura World were new, the year before that GForce was new.There are some rides which have been around for a while (Wild Mouse, Speed Loop, Waltzer etc.) but these are seen as traditional fairground rides and the families love them.Feedback shows that these rides are very popular.

Re the nackers - yes Funderland does attract a lot of trouble and I hate this about the place.However, there are certain days which over the years attract the most trouble.These are particularly the first four days and the last weekend.The last week is grand - the young scientist entries invade it every day!During the second week is the calmest when most families and non-nacker teens visit.

Re the price - it's a business, not a charity!It has lots of overheads too but a good day can be had for €30.That's only about a fiver more than an adult ticket, popcorn, a drink and a bag of sweets in the UGC.Funderland is special - when else can you fly 200 feet above the ground without shelling out hundreds for parasailing?When else can you go at 20 rpm 60 feet above the ground without either getting a speeding ticket or a car crash??

Funderland is one of Dublin's most popular Christmas events.

in the paper today two children were taken to hospital after they were stuck up on that 200 ft ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

ye that was due to a power failure though! id rather be stuck up 200ft than have plummited to my death...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye i heard that to was in the evening herld think it was day before yesterday though . dosnt say much for the safety aspect . thought they said it was due to the strong winds

as for where else could i go . well theres plenty of places around the globe that i have gone . i went to funderland once but id never go back id never recomend anyone to go to it also . save your money go to bush gardens in tampa bay florida its easily one of the best places to go once youve past the micky mouse stage of your life and if you havent then go to disney land florida or disney la , paris is comming along but will be some time i think before its a equal to the american sites .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'll probably be going next week sometime with my gf and other friends... Will have to keep an eye out for those knackers now that you mention it.

About how much do the rides cost? I hav'nt gone in ages

Misticles wrote:
    ye that was due to a power failure though! id rather be stuck up 200ft than have plummited to my death...
    No it was actually a safety procedure that was initiated on the ride, as it says in the Herald if you read it.The ride operates within certain safety restrictions and since it is aerial it has to consider the wind.Wind speeds two nights ago were safe to operate it, but while it was in the air a large gust pushed the seats around too fast and this registered as an excess load (too much stress) on the vice, which caused it to cut out.As a precaution the seats wre manually winched to the ground.It was inconvenient for the riders, but there was never any fears for their safety.To pick up on a few things the Evening Herald said:
    "The frightening experience saw several people trapped on board the 200 foot high ride"....."Several units of Dublin fire brigade and a 100 foot ladder were sent."

Eh... Duh

Quote from a fireman who attended the scene:
    "We didn't really do anything because it was all over by the time we arrived and they had been taken down"

Shows how much of a non-incident it was

And my personal favourite:
    "The two children were sent to hospital to get warmed up and three others were gone into the cafe for a cup of tea by the time we got there"

Since when was getting warmed up a task necessary to be carried out in hospital??And notice the other 19 on board got no metion - presumed gone home without any fuss.....

All I can say is news must be slow these days.

• Advertisement

Would be interesting to know if the operators offered any type of gesture of goodwill or concessions for a future visit...

They did as it happens - free tickets were offered to all aboard.

To the person who asked about the price of rides here you are:
    €1,50 admission (DART tickets and other promotions are available to allow you off this)
    €3,50 for the Big Wheel, Wild Mouse and Speed Loop coasters and Jungle River log flume
    €4 for the Star Flyer
    €2,50 for all other rides incl. Take Off, Booster, Extreme, Waltzer etc.
    Kiddy rides are €1,50 to €2

Anyone doing the young scientist usually gets a half price passport for either half price rides or 2-for-1 deals during the last week when it is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭xXxnaoisexXx

yeah the rollercoster is 3.50 and its over in 2mins its a rip off the hole thing is its not worth going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

funderland attracts the wrong kind of people to the area. why couldnt it be in summer to benefit everyone; it'd be warm for the people going and the people who live nearby would be away so wouldnt have to endure it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

LiamD must be getting paid for all this positive propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

It gets worse every year, less rides and more of those rip-off prize stalls that cheat everyone out of their money.

I worked on one of those rip-off prize stalls for 10 days one summer and yes it did cheat everyone out of their money. Worst job ever.

Sure does. They're not designed for people to win even though they look straightforward enough. If people won all the time, then the owner would be forced out of business. Chance is a fine thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

ok after seeing that article in the paper about the peopel being stuck in that ride outside for half hour cos it stopped in the wind im never ever getting on on eof them again!! eeeep

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Funfairs in Ireland are sh*te full stop.. If you compair them to ones abroad.. Look at the "Roller Coaster" in Funderland.. the only scary thing about it is the intense pain in your ears as your head gets bashed violently from side to side... I was watching something about american theme parks and thrill rides and how they are always looking for new ways to use "G-Force" (which I wont pretend to know much about because Im not a physicist) to make the rides more exciting... Funderland is just full of overpriced crap.. That stuped "Magic Carpet" thing has been around since the first time I went when I was about 9.. Im now 22 :confused: I do hope someone is oiling it well..

Anyone remember that ride out in Blanchardstown a couple of years back when two travellers where thrown from one of those bungee rockets into a tree when a cord snapped :eek: Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Question for LiamD or anyone else who has been this year, is the Sensorium there? My sister said it was hilarious.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement