Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belkin router with eircom broadband?

• 27-12-2005 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Has anyone used an eircom netopia modem with a Belkin wireless router? I cannot get my setup to work.

Do Belkin products work with eircom broadband?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No reason it shouldn't...

What is it, and what have you done?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Heffo

To be quite honest, I don't really know what I'm doing. The software supplied with the router isn't great, and it seems to have to be configured independently of the eircom/netopia protocol. I think that I have the router, modem and computer correctly connected, but when I use the Belkin software, I cannot connect to the internet. I've heard that one should enable 'bridging' on the eircom protocol, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

What should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Are you using the belklin wifi adapter or a wifi card in your notebook ?
    (you need to install a driver for the wifi adapter)

The first think you should check is can you connect to the wireless router. Enter the IP address of the router into Internet Explorer. The IP is in the instructions.

As far as I know its 192.168.2.1. If you can connect to the router you know the problem is between the router and your ISP connection.

see how far you get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I'm having the same problem here - I bought a Belkin F5D7633uk4 from Harvey Normans and it *refuses* to sync up (my Netopia syncs up in seconds). I was not overly buoyed with confidence when the microfilter has a UK connection on it. If I connect the phone line from the (working) Netopia modem, I get no sync from the Belkin. I've input the generic username / password, as well as the VPI / VCI numbers. No success at all. I've a funny feeling I'll be lobbing this back to Haaaaaveey Noooormaans and telling them to stock Irish compatible gear...

/sigh...the things I do to upgrade to 801.11g :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Just as a follow up to my previous post- I brought the modem / router combo back to Harvey Norman's, and as soon as I told him it was Eircom Broadband I had, the chap there said he *knew* it was impossible to get it to work, and that he had spent 4 hours trying to get it to work himself.

I changed it for the Belkin "Wireless G router". (This, in normal operation, would sit between your (single) ADSL modem and your PC). It also has an "Access Point" mode which I chose. This basically allowed me to use *it* as my wireless network. I disabled the wireless (11b) on my old Netopia, and set up the same SSID and PSK on the new Belkin one (so my existing configurations didn't have to change). All you have to do is give the access point an IP address in the same subnet as your existing network, and now I'm whizzing along at 54mbs :)

Beforehand I had (pre change) the Netopia 3340w with two PCs connected to it (11b network, and 2 spare wired ports).

Now, I have the Netopia 3340w (with wireless disabled), with the access point and the two PCs connected to it. The access point has one of its four ethernet connections used in connecting to the Netopia, so in total I have 4 spare wired connections, should I need them.

In summary (to answer the OP) it would seem that there are issues with Belkin kit and Eircom. If what you have is just a wireless router, then just do as I described to get it to work in combination with your Netopia. If what you have is the wireless modem / router, bring it back to wherever you bought it and change it for the router, then do what I did above :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement