Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony psp questions :)

• 27-12-2005 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi All!

Want to get me one of these, but I saw that there are many different firmware versions 1.50,2.50 etc.Can anyone explain to me which is the best firmware to get, what are downgraders,basically would like to know anything there is to know about the psp. I heard that you can play some different games on it to like emulators etc. I've seen on ebay that some people are selling full dvds with games and movies:confused: -and I wonder how is that possible-is there a way to for example convert normal dvd movie to psp format and watch it?
    All answers will be much apreciated :D

trance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Uh your sig is way too big buddy,
    SIGPO will be on your ass in no time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Firmware 1.5 is the one to get but no new PSP will have that on it unless its been sitting on the shelf for about a year. The ones in the shops now have at least firmware 2.01, which cannot yet be downgraded. If you get one with firmware 2.00 it will run homebrew and can be downgraded to 1.5 if you wish.

All that sh1t you see for sale on ebay is warez, twats selling "backup" copies of stuff. Stay away from it.
    For converting video to play on PSP, have a look at pspvideo9.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭trance2004

Thanks for that Stephen. What is homebrew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Home-made software - people have made tetris/sudoku/mario clones etc that run on PSP, as well as emulators for old systems and games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

I thought most psp's still for sale are 2.00 or less, a friend of mine got a giga pack and it had 2.00 on it.
    Anyway homebrew is great and a lot of it will now run on a 2.00 PSP using Fanjita's eboot loader. Emulators for almost all the old consoles and computers are available. and some of the homebrew games and apps are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

My Giga Pack was 2.01 :(

Well there's still hope Fanjita is working on getting homebrew for 2.01 to 2.5 using the exploit in GTA, so don't despair too much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

where theirs a will, there is always a way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Here's the biggest puzzle for me when it comes to PSP owners..

Buying a brand new PSP to play (mostly) emulated NES/SNES/Megadrive games, yet they're usually the same people who say "teh DS is teh n00b".. :confused:

Laguna wrote:
    Here's the biggest puzzle for me when it comes to PSP owners..

Buying a brand new PSP to play (mostly) emulated NES/SNES/Megadrive games, yet they're usually the same people who say "teh DS is teh n00b".. :confused:

Can't speak for anyone else but I grew up with all those old machines (showing my age now ;) ) and I love getting to play them all again. I know I can play them all on my PC but I can't very well bring that with me on the plane/train/automobile. Also the ability to put movies on there along with MP3's, Ebooks assuming you have a decent sized memory stick that is.

As for the DS, I don't know if you can run emulators or homebrew on them out of the box. I think you have to get a flash cart don't you? That drives the price up to match the PSP. So for me the PSP is perfect, It does everything I want and more.

P.S. you should try some of the old games, the graphics might not match up to todays standards but the gameplay is pure class on some of them. There's no harm in a bit of nostalgia now is there?

• Advertisement

Got myself giga pack with the letter F on the box,today:eek: . I presume that will make it 2.0 firmware. So,how do I downgrade to 1.50 to play those emulators :D?

Cheers,

trance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Google search, its against the charter for anyone to link to the sites.

Ok, sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭muffler

trance2004 wrote:
    Thanks for that Stephen. What is homebrew?
    I thought of something else :D:D

Seriously though I am lost when it comes to the terminology used in relation to PSPs or any console for that matter. Pity there wasnt a thread to explain all this

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Good thing all you have to do is type "PSP" into google and follow a few links to find out the information you need :v:

"PSP news" or somehing if you don't want to look too hard.

Lazy sods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thank you Ma'am. Your kindness is exceeded only by your good looks

Advertisement