Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Palm PDA - what can it do

• 28-12-2005 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My wife got me a PDA for christmas, nice little one am still trying to figure out all the stuff I can get for it, however I think, as far as i understand, i need a expansion card to install stuff, I have ordered one should get it next week sometime,

one of the idea's i had about using a pda, think i was told somewhere i could do this, was to set it up to download news stories while connected to my pc using rss, am I wrong or if I am right do i need a plug-in or something. It has 16 mb ram just a glorified phone book at the moment, although did figure out how to put a txt file on it yesterday, any way of putting a doc file reader on it? Had hoped for one with windows CE but that would be pushing it.

So many questions I know, any help would be great. Its a palmOne zire 31, with palm OS

Regards and merry Christmas to all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

you can install apps via a hotsync - there shold be a 'quick install' feature available when you install the Palm Desktop app...

try www.avantgo.com for syncing news to the devices, there is a free account (or a subscription account with extra space available)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

If you want to download news stories etc while connected to PC (for reading later I presume) use Avantgo and you can set up whatever channels you want. It usually comes on the software disk with palms or if not go to avantgo.com and download everything you need from there. You might also get further help on the palm website.
    Not sure if the Zire has a moemory card slot but if so I think you can divert the downloads to there. Make sure you choose not to download pictures to save memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

been using quick news since alpha / beta tested it at start of year.

best i've found for palm os 5.

developers are cool guys and always reply to queries.

download and try it out for yourself for free at link below.

http://standalone.com/palmos/quick_news/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Hi all

Got new pda, has palm OS, slowly getting to know it and add-ons for it, i found this site www.anventgo.com, anyone know of any other good stuff i can do with it, found a tetris game somewhere too having fun with that! Have ordered extra memory card for it too.

Anyone got any other good links too add-ons?

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What model is it? Came into possesion of one of these recently myself, await delivery of charger form EBay.

Mine is more than capable of running all these emulators:-

http://www.pdarcade.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=102

A gameboy, advance, snes, amiga and c64 in one machine that fits in your pocket. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

CiaranC wrote:
    What model is it?

Guess I should have posted that LOL sorry, its a PalmOne Zire 31, nice little one color screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Nice little machine, should run most of the emus OK. Ive been using my Iriver h320 to read ebooks which is surprisingly doable. This thing with its huge screen is going to be great for that. Not to mention video and MP3 playback. Im going to look into satnav and VOIP also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

If you go to Mapopolis.com and download the programme (FOC) you can then download the demo maps, they aren't bang up to date but they do work. I went back in loads of times 'till I had the whole country, then I bought a gps reciever from eBay and I use it all the time around Ireland !!

Advertisement