Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Useless Characters

• 28-12-2005 12:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Who are the most useless characters from television?
    Characters that do nothing and have little or no relevance to anything and are essetially filler characters. This isnt a thread about characters you hate, its more about just pure, sheer uselessness.

To get the ball rolling, my pick is Phoebe from friends. Unfunny, Nothing to add to anything, crap plot for her, crap love interests (except that science guy, Hank Azaria) and just a general feel of "get off the screen love".

and of course Dr. Molly Clock from Scrubs.... but i think im banned from talking about her on these boards.ie
    she angrys up the blood :p

Comments

Towelie :p

I'd agree with Phoebe. I'd also like to nominate Hermes from Futurama. Even Scruffy has more of a point than him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

definitely pheobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Towelie :p

HELL NO!!!!!!!! you just crossed the line :D

but seriously, Towelie was great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

Yeah - Pheobe was useless.

Cleveland from Family Guy is boring & pointless.
    Matt, the son from Nip/Tuck looks REALLY annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The guy whose job it was to pilot the Enterprise in the series Enterprise. He never got up to much, did he? I don't even remember his name, and I must have seen almost every episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Tyrone from Corrie and his big ugly hammy face. What's his purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Towlie carries an important social message for todays youth!!!
    Maggie
    I know its not tv but i have to say it anyway- Tales from sonic the hedgehog
    Chris in family guy
    And the entire cast of joey and will&grace

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

That lad on 'The Simpsons' who says 'Yeeesssss'. he does absolutely nothing else except make ridiculous noises. :mad:

Most of the people on Home and Away are useless - same jaded storylines and worthless characters.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

I'd like to defend Phoebe's position, but not necessarily her effectiveness.....

Friends ended up being evenly balanced with 3 guys and 3 girls...
    Joey was the stupid guy, and Phoebe was the stupid girl.
    The whole friends thing got tired after about 2 seasons anyways.
    Sing "Smelly Cat" after 4 pints, then ask yourself what she brought to the show :-)

As for Molly out of Scrubs.... what can I say.... eye candy, and a little weirdness injected into the series with a new character. Even the Simpsons took the p*ss out of TV shows adding new characters to add life to an ailing plotline with their episode introducing "Poochy".

There's plenty of token characters in various shows, eg. Apu from the Simpsons. Or the character named "Token" from South Park, the English kid they decided to add!

regards,
    Owen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

OMcGovern wrote:

Friends ended up being evenly balanced with 3 guys and 3 girls...

Sing "Smelly Cat" after 4 pints, then ask yourself what she brought to the show :-)

As for Molly out of Scrubs.... what can I say.... eye candy, and a little weirdness injected into the series with a new character.

friends started with 3 guys and girls

i would happily glass ne1 who sang smelly cat in a pub

please dont get me started on molly clock. I think i could write a thesis on how much i hate that character and the idea behind her.
    was thinking of making a website devoted to my hatred of her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

George Foreman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

The guy whose job it was to pilot the Enterprise in the series Enterprise. He never got up to much, did he? I don't even remember his name, and I must have seen almost every episode.
    you mean Ensign Travis Mayweather played by Anothony Montgomery?. hehe, yeh, he didn't really do much, well xcept for that one ep where he went to his family's ship, lol. His character in S2 of Popular was rather pointless too IMHO. They brought him in, hooked him up with Sam, the love triangle with Harry & Brooke starts, & then he just disappears. :D

Another useless character IMHO, was Jesse Ramirez on Roswell S3. Apart from the fact that he did nout, & S3 was a poor season anyway, I just couldn't believe Isabel suddenly wanted to become tied down. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Lisa Simpson, total charactuer of the conscience of the family and just so goddamn annoying,
    bulldog in frasier, pointless character

ps i love when merryweather is in the alternate universe as the spin kickin bodyguard, he eventually takes over the fleet with parks. nice to see the two doing something for once, and how devious was she in that episode. anyway..

kim bauer n the first 3 seasons of 24. (don't kill me):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I vote Stephen the barman in Fair City. never says anything, just nods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

I vote Stephen the barman in Fair City. never says anything, just nods

I hate that guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

OMcGovern wrote:

There's plenty of token characters in various shows, eg. Apu from the Simpsons. Or the character named "Token" from South Park, the English kid they decided to add!

Aint Token the black kid?

The English kid was named Pip if I recall...They kept calling him french

token is cool, they don't use him a lot because there's better characters, like butters and jimmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

I'd also like to nominate Hermes from Futurama. Even Scruffy has more of a point than him!
    Well I don't really think Hermes is pointless, he is actually involved in a lot of humour, like the way he hates Zoidberg so much.

It depends what you mean by pointless really, I mean some people do consider Lisa SImpson pointless because she's not funny, but then she was never meant to be. She's the conscience of the show, as JRH said.

I guess a pointless character would be any "token" character, I wouldn't really consider Phoebe as pointless.

EDIT: for some reason I read useless as pointless. Two very different meanings.

I don't watch Friends so I don't know how useful she is in the storylines, but Phoebe is bloody irritating. I can't believe anyone could be as annoying as her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Roy, the Simpsons short lived lodger in the Poochie episode. He was sh1te, so glad they got rid ;)

The blonde woman who now frequently reappears in Simpsons episodes usually as a sales rep or PR type, i think her name is Lynsey something? As for South Park, the joke actually is that Token does nothing in particular, hes just there to be the only black kid, its a pisstake of the way most American sitcoms do have one minority character written in, but when theyre brought in often the writers realise they dont really have storyline room for them. Majority black US sitcoms do it too, most of the ones you see on Trouble or whatever, the characters have one blonde friend who doesnt really have any decent lines/isnt part of the plot. Just comes in and does the hey we`re multicultural bit then fecks off.

And how dare yis call Apu a token extra, hes one of the top 5 non- Simpsons in the show (after Moe, Quimby and Krusty. Burns follows Apu)

Oh yes, pointless character, dunno if yis watch My Wife and Kids, quite a funny sitcom by one of the Wayans brothers (the older, baldy one, Damon I think). It used to be hilarious, then they started giving too much time to that Franklin kid, hes just in it waaaayyyyyy too much yet has hardly any decent lines.

The daughter in that show, fook me (and no cheek, you know Im referring to the older one so we will have none of that in this house ya pricks :) )

• Advertisement

Tha Gopher wrote:

The blonde woman who now frequently reappears in Simpsons episodes usually as a sales rep or PR type, i think her name is Lynsey something?

I believe her name is Lynsey Nagle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I'd also like to nominate Hermes from Futurama. Even Scruffy has more of a point than him!
    Hermes was class! What about the episode where he gets fired and everyone goes to the Central Bureaucracy to get his job back and Hermes sings the best song ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hermes was class! What about the episode where he gets fired and everyone goes to the Central Bureaucracy to get his job back and Hermes sings the best song ever?
    Zoidberg is the one that'd be dispensable in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Kaiser2000 wrote:

agreed. tho futurama has enough fanboys to think hes a brilliant and ingenious character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Kaiser2000 wrote:

What!? He's a brilliant and ingenious character!

I think the most useless character I've seen would be Kennedy from Buffy. All she did was make out with Willow. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Cat from Red Dwarf.

Rarely has any real input into the storylines and is the least amusing of the four main characters. Annoying too imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Pigman II wrote:
    Cat from Red Dwarf.

Rarely has any real input into the storylines and is the least amusing of the four main characters. Annoying too imho.
    In the first two series of Red dwarf, Cat had quite a few excellent scenes.

In series 3 to 6, less so ..and the least said about RD series 7+ as a whole, the better :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Neelix from ST Voyager. Maybe he falls into the "annoying" class moreso than useless, but he served no purpose. Especially after his missus evaporated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Daelus wrote:
    I think the most useless character I've seen would be Kennedy from Buffy. All she did was make out with Willow. :confused:
    And that's a bad thing because......... ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Zoidberg and Hermes are class.

A bit cliche, but somebodys got to mention Wesley Crusher. Most useless character EVAR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dunno if she's still there, but Betty in Coronation St - 20 years of dispensing hot-pot and nothing else! How much was the actress being paid for this??

Goodshape wrote:
    A bit cliche, but somebodys got to mention Wesley Crusher. Most useless character EVAR!

Yeah, I hated that little f*ck. :mad:

A lad who thought too much about himself. :mad:

wasn't wesley's mum hot?

loyatemu wrote:
    dunno if she's still there, but Betty in Coronation St - 20 years of dispensing hot-pot and nothing else! How much was the actress being paid for this??
    hey, don't go there, betty is an institution NOT a character :D

I hate the way people become institutions despite their crappiness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

betty is an institution

She should be IN an institution

Pigman II wrote:
    She should be IN an institution
    so should half the characters:D

sounds like a pretty crap barfood menu: hotpot or hotpot

Advertisement