Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on VW Bora ?

Options
  • 28-12-2005 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im thinking of getting a VW bora soon enough as the new year comes in. I have a few questions though:

I drive a 1.0L now and Ill sell that, but will a 1.4 or 1.6 Bora use much more petrol than it ?
    Does/Has anyone ever owned one or currently own one ? What are your opinions ?
    Is getting a 1.6 better than getting a 1.4

I have a full licence so the engine capacity doesnt really matter anymore.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

the bora should fall in value a bit now that the jetta is re-released. A jump to 1.4 wont make much of a difference on your petrol costs. best of luck with it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

pontovic wrote:
    Hi

Im thinking of getting a VW bora soon enough as the new year comes in. I have a few questions though:

I drive a 1.0L now and Ill sell that, but will a 1.4 or 1.6 Bora use much more petrol than it ?
    Does/Has anyone ever owned one or currently own one ? What are your opinions ?
    Is getting a 1.6 better than getting a 1.4

I have a full licence so the engine capacity doesnt really matter anymore.

Thanks

A slightly larger engine does not always mean increased fuel consumption as the 1.6 would require less exertion than the 1.4. I'd go for the 1.6. (Obviously the road tax will be slightly higher).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Bora is just a MkIV Golf with a boot. The 1.4 VW petrol engine has only 75bhp which is not great by any means and is known to be underpowered (especially for overtaking) in the Golf so expect similar performance in the Bora. The 1.6 would be more suited to the heavy body but the 1.4 would probably be easier to sell on due to lower running costs. Avoid the base model as up to about 2002 this didn't even have electric front windows or cd player. The one to go for is the Comfortline model which can be identified by full colour coded bumpers/side moldings and door handles, electric windows all round, velour seats with a front arm rest and wood inserts on the dashboard.

Now that the Jetta is launched the Bora second hand prices will fall even further, VW saloons such as the Bora, Vento and Jetta never seem to hold their value like the Golf even thought they are basically the same car just with a boot instead of a hatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They definitely don't hold their value and they're not a great car to be honest. You should consider a Ford Focus, I've handled a few of them over the years and they don't give much trouble, are nice to drive and have a good resale when the time comes to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

try a skoda octavia, cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

colm_mcm wrote:
    try a skoda octavia, cheaper

I was just going to say that.
    We have had three off them in my house and my uncle has had a few too. there great cars.
    Practicaly a passat but cheeper and i like the squarer look better then the VW version.

Practicaly a passat but cheeper and i like the squarer look better then the VW version.

Actually the Skoda Octavia is based on the VW Golf/Bora. The same goes for the Seat Leon/Toledo and Audi A3.

The Passat uses a different platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

If you want a Golf with a boot, it's perfect, if you don't, well then it's not. It doesn't hold its value well, is pretty ugly, why couldn't they use the face of the Golf on it? With the Jetta coming out prices should slump

Squirrel wrote:

Yeah that 2001 red Bora is way overpriced at €12,950 for what is a 5 year old car next week. Also it isn't the Comfortline as advertised, looks like the base model. The Comfortline has fully colour coded bumpers, side moldings and door handles.

You could have this 2004 version for €15,950.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=380957&ID=638748&NumPics=3&Make=VW&Model=Bora&frmFilter=

€3k more expensive than the 2001 model yet three years younger.

• Advertisement

A 01 Bora is worth no more than 7 grand.. no matter how good it is.

bazz26 wrote:
    Actually the Skoda Octavia is based on the VW Golf/Bora. The same goes for the Seat Leon/Toledo and Audi A3.

The Passat uses a different platform.

Yeah you'll notice the Octavia is a bit tighter in the back, but no more so than an A4 or Bora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

thanks for the replies guys, very helpful, but one more thing, I have been keeping my eye on a bora comfortline but im torn between that and a skoda octavia. is it possible to get an equivalent comfortline model in the skoda octavia range ? what keywords should i look for on car buyers guide ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

junkyard wrote:
    A 01 Bora is worth no more than 7 grand.. no matter how good it is.

how much would u value a 99 1.4 5dr golf comfortline with 60000 miles? want to trade mothers car to a 06 golf 1.6 automatic, wondering whether to sell private or just trade it. cant get quotes cause all the garages are closed till the 3rd(crazy when u think about this being the busiest time for car sales)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

lomb wrote:
    how much would u value a 99 1.4 5dr golf comfortline with 60000 miles? want to trade mothers car to a 06 golf 1.6 automatic, wondering whether to sell private or just trade it. cant get quotes cause all the garages are closed till the 3rd(crazy when u think about this being the busiest time for car sales)

I Would value a 1999 golf CL 60,000 around 7-7.5k based on carzone.ie and cbg.ie

I would sell privately as i think you never get a decent price from a dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

i Have to say i REALLY like the bora. Its not as common as the golf but still has the relaiability and the looks of one. The 1.4 model is suppposedly way underpowered whereas the 1.6 does the job in my case i've been looking for a 1.9TDI. They should def falll in value in the next 2 months (new year launch of the new jetta) so i'm gonna hold out for a while cos i really am considering buying one also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I like the bora aswell. Better interior than the cordoba and octavia other than pretty much the same car. I don't agree they don't hold their value. The only cheap ones seem to have high mileage and scruffy interiors, iffy history. A scruffy interior says huggggeee miles on a VW. Though they are not as reliable as a jap car. I was looking for one, but now I reckon they are overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

neacy69 wrote:
    I Would value a 1999 golf CL 60,000 around 7-7.5k based on carzone.ie and cbg.ie

Anybody who spends €7.5k on a 7 year old (1999) Golf 1.4 needs their head examined. A 2002 Octavia 1.4 would be worth about that

As others said, it's nearly identical to the Golf Mark IV but has a much bigger boot

A 99 Golf 1.4 with 60k miles is worth 4.0 to 4.5k regardless of what cbg.ie or carzone are telling you. You will probably sell it for more privately but don't be surprised at that price. If your trading in the dealer will only bump up your trade-in price to close the deal.

junkyard wrote:
    A 99 Golf 1.4 with 60k miles is worth 4.0 to 4.5k regardless of what cbg.ie or carzone are telling you. You will probably sell it for more privately but don't be surprised at that price. If your trading in the dealer will only bump up your trade-in price to close the deal.

Well I'd appreciate if you could point me (PM) in the direction of such cars. I'm not seeing anything like that price. Being in the trade you probably have sources that punters don't have.

• Advertisement

bear in mind that if a dealer is asking 7500 for a golf, he has to buy it in at about 5500, warranty it, do any repairs, and service it. he also has to advertise it and pay someone to valet it. there's 6250
    easily spent. he then has to allow for the fact that people never pay the price in the window. so allowing for a discount of about 750, he's bought it for 6250, and sold it for 6750, made 500 quid which he has to pay vat on. Yipee!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I like the bora aswell. Better interior than the cordoba and octavia other than pretty much the same car.
    Isn't the Cordoba actually based on the Polo ? If so it's not really fair to compare them.

Yeah the Cordoba's based on the Polo, While we're on the subject, The Seat Leon has the nicest Interior, robbed from the Audi

stevenmu wrote:
    Isn't the Cordoba actually based on the Polo ? If so it's not really fair to compare them.

Your right I meant the toledo. I keep getting the names mixed up.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Yeah the Cordoba's based on the Polo, While we're on the subject, The Seat Leon has the nicest Interior, robbed from the Audi

So does the toledo. That A3 dash. But seems to be a much cheaper plastic/materials than the audi.

junkyard wrote:
    A 99 Golf 1.4 with 60k miles is worth 4.0 to 4.5k regardless of what cbg.ie or carzone are telling you. You will probably sell it for more privately but don't be surprised at that price.
    indeed i am surprised by the price. no way il sell for that, 7 is rock bottom private sale ,as it the desirable non windy windows version comfortline. also has a full history. il let u know how i get on with quotes in jan garage wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lomb wrote:
    no way il sell for that, 7 is rock bottom private sale

And you might very well get it. Lots of eejits about that would be willing to pay that price :)

well if u take it that a golf lasts 10 years and is desirable, that 2000 euro a year depreciation, now 7 years use at 2 grand is 14k, and since the equivelent new car is 21k cash, i dont think 7k is an excessive amount of money. remember this is a desirable car...
    now take luxury cars, i think roughly the same calculation applies accept u depreciate it between 10 and 15% a year depending on desirability. like a brand new sl350 is and will be desirable in 7 years, and u cannot expect to pay the same pro rata for it than say an 'undesirable' s350.
    i very much doubt the trade buys 60k miler 99 golfs in for 4 grand, if they did theyd be turning 3 grand profit on every one, even after a valet and warranty. maybe im wrong but if any one is willing to enlighten me as to where a good golf can be got for 4k then ill be enlightened:D

You think €7k for a 7 year old Golf is excessive.

This guy must have fell out of his tree: :eek:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=330731

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    i very much doubt the trade buys 60k miler 99 golfs in for 4 grand, if they did theyd be turning 3 grand profit on every one, even after a valet and warranty. maybe im wrong but if any one is willing to enlighten me as to where a good golf can be got for 4k then ill be enlightened:D

er.. no. If you are to actually put a Golf on a main dealer forecourt, you might well ask 7 grand for it. but the reality is that most 99 Golfs won't make it onto main dealer forecourts due to age and mileage. Those that make it to the main dealer's forecourt will have a major service including timing belt, which if you've ever done this is quite expensive. they will be guarunteed, cleaned, advertised etc. And as i said, even if you ask €7,000, you will never get it (especially for a 7 year old Golf).
    Most will be bought from the garage by independant traders who will buy the car from the garage as a member of the motor trade, therefore will get mo warranty and no real comeback. For the garage, this is a way of quickly selling the car without the hassle of servicing, cleaning and sorting out any potential problems the car may have in the next 12 months.

Lets say you buy a new Golf for €22,000,
    (there's a cash discount of €1500 available if you don't trade a car in.)
    He offers you a trade in of €6,000. You take €6,000 from €22,000. you get €16,000 cost to change.
    or €20,500-€4,500 giving you €16,000.
    He has now bought your car from you for €4,500

He sells the car to a trader for €4,500. the trader then sells it on with a few hundred euro profit to a small garage who deal mainly in older cars, they fix whatever needs to be fixed and sell it.

You have to allow for the fact that motor dealers and the motor trade are in business, and do have to make money. And just because some one on carzone reckons their car is worth 8 grand, it doesn't make it true!

Advertisement