Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cracked Windscreen

Options
  • 28-12-2005 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi
    A small crack has appeared on my car (03 ford focus ), nothing major but stems from the right hand corner up above the tax disc .
    Tried to ring my insurance company, not open until tomorrow, checked my policy and it doesnt say that i am covered for windscreen replacement

At the time i took out my insurance should i have requested windscreen protection on my policy or is it pretty standard to be included in your policy .???

I dont think my insurance company will pay out and i will have to fork it out of my own pocket

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for best priced company who can fit a replacement and the rough cost of it ? (live in louth and work around dublin airport locality,so a recommondation for a company around this area would be great)
    How much am i looking to have to pay from my own pocket ? Does it take long to have a new windscreen installed .I just dont want to walk into the first garage and get ripped off.

Thanks for any help ye might be able to give me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Usually there is an asterisks (*) along side your policy number on the insurance disc in your windscreen, this usually means your policy includes windscreen cover. I would ring the insurance company tomorrow

The best place to find a windscreen replacement company is look in your local goldenpages. They usually have a callout service.

If you mention you are paying for it yourself, the price is usually alot cheaper than if the insurance company is covering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Live with it until your next insurance policy and then take out windscreen cover and get it fixed courtesy of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

If you are working in Dublin Airport try the place opposite Morton Stadium (Autoglass 8377766) in Santry. They will handle everything and will be able to tell you if you are covered. If it's cracked and has not gotten wet they may be able to repair it. Approx replacement price €250 ex VAT.

Is it a heated windscreen? (common in Fords). If so I imagine it would cost a lot more than standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Thanks folks for the replies, will ring the insurance company when they open tomorrow ,
    its not a heated windscreen ,so hopefully will not be mega bucks if i decide to pay for it myself..but my insurance premium is up in april, will take the advice of asking for windscreen cover and then 2 weeks later make the claim..excellent

cheers folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

andrew1977 wrote:
    Thanks folks for the replies, will ring the insurance company when they open tomorrow ,
    its not a heated windscreen ,so hopefully will not be mega bucks if i decide to pay for it myself..but my insurance premium is up in april, will take the advice of asking for windscreen cover and then 2 weeks later make the claim..excellent

cheers folks

Just bear in mind that the crack will inevitably get bigger/longer especially following frosty weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

i had to get my windscreen replaced last year,its slightly tinted & heated
    quinn direct don't cover windscreens so i had to pay for it myself.
    for the tinted/heated for 1998 mondeo ghiax it cost me under €300 which i thought was very good that was from AUTOGLASS & they came to my house to fit it too.it took about an hour to complete as the old one was a bugger to get out;)

Advertisement