Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Issue with Result but who was right?

Options
  • 28-12-2005 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

I bought my wife an MP3 player in Argos for Christmas however it didn’t work, so I brought it back yesterday, to exchange it. They come in Blue/Grey I had the blue one however they had none left.

So I said ok I will take the grey one, woman says no problem that will be 10 euro please, I said why, she said the original one u bought was on sale 10 euro off but as u are getting a different one I need to charge the normal price, I laughed and said you are joking right, anyway after politely arguing with her the manager comes out I explained I am exchanging a faulty product for a new one and your charging me 10 euro cause its no longer on sale, he said yes but its a different catalogue number, I said yes cause its a different colour, I said I have studied consumer affairs and you must exchange a faulty good with a new one. Colour should matter, he was sticking to his guns until.........I said ok hang on I will ring my uncle he is a solicitor, well his mouth dropped and I got my mp3 as a "goodwill token and to save anymore issue, but normally this wouldn’t happen" at this stage I got cheeky I admit out of frustration I said “Normally you wouldn’t have people who know the law and will stand up for what is right” yea whatever, amazing what you can do when you use your head.

For the record I have no uncle a solicitor however one is excellent at business management and would have resolved it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a very good manager - most stores, regardless of the technicality of the law, would immediately issue you a new one as a sign of goodwill.

Nice work though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

wow, I dunno what store you were in, but that was handled badly. I work in Argos, and personally I would not have handled the situation like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The handled it very badly. Of course the product in a different colour is going to have a different catalogue number. He should be asking you nicely to accept the substitute colour or would you mind waiting until the original colour is back in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Nice one, but it shouldn't have been handled like that in the first place.

I bought a stainless steel kettle in Argos and within a month it started blowing the fuses in my house. I look after an electrician's child and he told me that it was a faulty kettle. I took it back to Argos and they didn't have the same one so I asked for a different brand that was the same price. The woman serving me didn't want to do this and said I could only do an exchange if I had the original box. Who keeps the packaging in case there will be a problem.

She soon changed her mind when I said "alright be a jobs worth and told her that I was just going to phone the local radio station then Carmel Foley ODCA and let her explain why she was failing to meet the legal requirements"

I just have to share this very good tip that I read somewhere else regarding discounts not being passed on to the customer especially in the supermarkets where they advertise 3 for 2 or BOGOF, use your camera phone to record these offers as it will be proof in case of dispute.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I once went into Argos and purchased a surround sound system. Unfortunately after 30 minutes they told me that they couldn't find it in stores and would I come back the next day. I told them (it was the manager) that I was going away and needed it that day. So we both mumbled a bit and he suggested I look at their other models. I picked another unit out and asked could he do anything with the price bearing in mind the delay etc etc so he threw in speaker stands as well (around 45 euro).

At the end of it all I left happy. To be fair the manager was amenable to being flexible and nobodys body language got angry or agreesive (strangely).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Very wierd, Ive always found argos the best place for refund/replacement.
    Must have just been an off day.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's weird alright. My GF returned a CD player back to Argos in the UK. They no longer sold the version that she had bought, so they swopped it out for the equivalent new version for no charge. She didn't have the box for it either, but the girl was happy to exchange it for a similarly unboxed player*

*It's my understanding that this is standard for all electronics equipment because if you return an item to the manufacturer unboxed, you receive your replacement unboxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

how are argos for refunds without receit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Smithers wrote:
    how are argos for refunds without receit?
    it won't happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Very wierd, Ive always found argos the best place for refund/replacement.
    Must have just been an off day.

S.

Too good tbh the q for returns is always bigger then the q to buy.

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement