Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI Coming to Limerick

Options
  • 28-12-2005 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone happen to know when they are opening in Limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

as far as i know its supposed to be coming to the old krups site (i think thats across the road from LIDL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

Yep, that'd be just off the Roxboro roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

old krups site

that's just across the road from 'Crazy Prices' .... do they still call it that? or is it Tesco's now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Ya I have been hearing that for the past year or so , I what I would like to know is when is it actually coming like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

was up there two weeks ago and its built they are just finishing it off. I would say it will be early January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

hobie wrote:
    that's just across the road from 'Crazy Prices' .... do they still call it that? or is it Tesco's now? :confused:

it is tesco now.

it is tesco now

cheers .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Just passed the old krups palnt and ALDI have a big new sign up, dont know when its opening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

1st week of february i heard..building complete and handed over apparently to aldi. Some more retail units in the hotel building being wworked on now. Plan looks very nice. Supposed to be big plans for that side of town once the halting site is moved which is soon enough

ya that side of limerick is getting everything (which is good for me)
    with the childers rd sc just down the road and the parkway and superquinn not to mention a short drive to the cresent

• Advertisement

vkid wrote:
    1st week of february i heard..building complete and handed over apparently to aldi. Some more retail units in the hotel building being wworked on now. Plan looks very nice. Supposed to be big plans for that side of town once the halting site is moved which is soon enough

They are moving that? Any more info about those developments? I was wondering why a new hotel was going in that area isnt the nicest part of town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mimix

irishguy wrote:
    They are moving that? Any more info about those developments? I was wondering why a new hotel was going in that area isnt the nicest part of town

Its not the nicest part of town due to lack of amenities and historic segregation.

If the council/corporation did what they are trying to do now and integrate the not so well off areas and people with the more well off, This City would be much more plesent.

Council estates were developed and centralised in certain areas of the city and county in the 60s/70s leaving city center and most other parts of suberbia to devleop into what we have now (mini towns).

If integration was initiated from the outset we would not have the squaller we now have in the thomandgate/roxboro type areas.

I live in one of the better areas of the City so my views are just my opinion.

To invest in areas like LEDP roxboro road can only create local employment and make this area a better place to live.

mimix wrote:
    Its not the nicest part of town due to lack of amenities and historic segregation.

If the council/corporation did what they are trying to do now and integrate the not so well off areas and people with the more well off, This City would be much more plesent.

Council estates were developed and centralised in certain areas of the city and county in the 60s/70s leaving city center and most other parts of suberbia to devleop into what we have now (mini towns).

If integration was initiated from the outset we would not have the squaller we now have in the thomandgate/roxboro type areas.

To invest in areas like LEDP roxboro road can only create local employment and make this area a better place to live.

Agreed but i just found it strange that a private investor would put money into a hotel that when built would have a view of derelict/burned out warehouses, a halting site, dual carriageway, poorly kept housing estates and located on an industrial site, it doesn’t seem the best site for a hotel.
    I didn’t know that there were plans to redevelop this area, if done properly it would really benefit the people in this area and Limerick as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mimix

irishguy wrote:
    Agreed but i just found it strange that a private investor would put money into a hotel that when built would have a view of derelict/burned out warehouses, a halting site, dual carriageway, poorly kept housing estates and located on an industrial site, it doesn’t seem the best site for a hotel.
    I didn’t know that there were plans to redevelop this area, if done properly it would really benefit the people in this area and Limerick as a whole.

Yes this whole area is to be developed, the area where the halting site is and the fields beyond are to be developed in the future.

From what I have heard Chorus/CERT/Lets do coffee Cafe i.e the old Krups plant is to be leveled for the site is to be used more efficiently in the form of enterprise blocks.

BTW to keep the op alive Aldi is to open in the next 2 weeks

Forgive the ideology I have not heard this, but if they could remove the roxboro shopping center and its impending shambles of a car park, the site coupled with the now closed down TBA facility , could be used to create an amazing development maybe including a B&Q that can be seen from the road.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

mimix wrote:

Tbf, both those areas are improving every year, agree they were badly let down by successive council/governments but since virtually full-employment came to Ireland in the late 1990's these areas have improved year on year.

However, areas like Moyross and Southill, considering where this hotel is going, seem to be stagnant or even getting worse. Might be just my misconceptions though, I've never been through Southill, and never hung about Moyross much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

I've never been through Southill, and never hung about Moyross much either.

Get the train to Ennis and you travel through Moyross... With a bit of luck you get the real Myross-feeling when they throw stones at the passing train. Happened many times to me.

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

I know getting ALDI at the south side of town is great but go we really need more traffic I mean on saturday the traffic from new dunnes stretched all the way to the roxboro roundabout. Surely the northside could do with low cost shopping

sioda wrote:
    I know getting ALDI at the south side of town is great but go we really need more traffic I mean on saturday the traffic from new dunnes stretched all the way to the roxboro roundabout. Surely the northside could do with low cost shopping
    ya they never should of put up traffic lights at the entrance to childers rd sc
    traffic is always bad there

I noticed this is coming to ALDI soon .... roll on ALDI in Limerick ... :p
    USB SIM Card Reader
    Reads and edits GSM phone SIM cards the fast and easy way. Simply plug into the USB port of your PC.
     Compatible with Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
     USB 1.1 Full Speed
     Supports Plug & Play and Hot Swapping
     Transmission speed: 9,600 - 115,200bps
     CD with SIM Secretary software

8042734343bbf4274b3c7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Seems they have good car stuff there at the moment.....

• Advertisement

Last I heard was Lmk opening in Feb ..... :confused:

There is some great Rugby gear coming up next thursday ... 4 nations gear .... :)

see it on this link ...select "Thursday special buys ....)

http://ireland.aldi.com/

Now where is my map for Ennis ? ... :confused:

wasnt it feb12th
    anyway are they cheaper than maplins when it comes to electronics?(same question aswell for lidl)

Never been to ALDI yet but have bought loads of gear from LIDL .... drills ...grinders ...clocks .... weather/temperature gadgets .... saws ...... water pumps .... hot air guns .... drill bits and tools .... radio's .... mini ovens etc and I think the prices are great ..... only problem is they are all specials and only come up once a year or maybe twice, (typically) and when they are sold out that's it :(

I like Maplins and they have a great selection of 'what they do' .... not sure about their prices being as low as LIDL but they are still very reasonable ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

They open yet ? ha, ha, ha?

u think it would be by now

Willem D wrote:
    u think it would be by now

open 23rd

Hoorah , now I can get more crappy German food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Hooray for crappy german food!!

Oh and not forgetting their speciality in electronics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

ALDI's flyer ("Special Offer") in today's "Irish Independent" says the Limerick store opens 23/02/2006!

IB

Advertisement