Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie for mobiles

Options
  • 28-12-2005 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Any chance of getting the mobile skin reactivated so that it's more plesant browsing boards from phones such as the k750i and 6230i ... ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

On a slightly similar request. Any chance of a "light" version of the pages.

I have my PSP set up for the internet however it always runs out of memory trying to read any Boards.ie page. There is simply too much on the pages.

I dont have the problem with any other site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

similar problem with my PDA.
    It reads boards fine, but its a bit of a "heavy" skin.
    If theres an easy way to sort it, that would be great.
    if not, its not a biggie for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yes i too would like a psp friendly version also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This is probably an obvious suggestion so forgive me if you guys have tried it already. Have you tried tweaking forum options like turning off images, avatars and signatures as well as reducing posts per page? Should save a lot of memory for your mobile device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd like to be able to goto www.boards.ie/vbulletin/mobile rather then having to change all my profile options each time I goto the forums.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Probably making things overcomplicated here, but what about profile groups for each member?
    So I could have 3 profile groups, Home, Mobile and Work.
    I could switch between the 2 with a 2 button click, my home would be cloud with avatars, sigs and imgs on, my Mobile would be plain white with no images at all and my work would be on minimalist with no sigs... or something like that.

It would save having a psp/pda/phone friendly skin that you had to change between, and would allow all users to take advantage of it, not just the ones with mobile internet. You also wouldn't have to keep resetting your options every time you log on.

ciaranfo wrote:
    I'd like to be able to goto www.boards.ie/vbulletin/mobile rather then having to change all my profile options each time I goto the forums.

Problem is with the PSP you get out of memory on any page. The exception being the front page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Could the forum not detect the UA string and send the appropriate CSS accordingly?

So a specific mobile theme, triggered by the "/mobile" extension should solve that Hobbes ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

flogen wrote:
    Probably making things overcomplicated here, but what about profile groups for each member?
    So I could have 3 profile groups, Home, Mobile and Work.
    I could switch between the 2 with a 2 button click, my home would be cloud with avatars, sigs and imgs on, my Mobile would be plain white with no images at all and my work would be on minimalist with no sigs... or something like that.

It would save having a psp/pda/phone friendly skin that you had to change between, and would allow all users to take advantage of it, not just the ones with mobile internet. You also wouldn't have to keep resetting your options every time you log on.
    Superb idea. A lot of work, but a great idea! Thumbs up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

thumbs up here too. would be very handy.

as a side note, anyone with a phone that is able to use jad or jar based apps can download opera mobile which has an option to turn of images and a few other bits that can be usefl for browing on a mobile phone, and works very well on my nokia 6230i. can be hard to find though, but google should get you there if its not on the website (think it's still in beta).

if you can't find it and want to try it let me know and I'll upload it somewhere for you to download.

I have mobile opera.... it's good, but it's not as good as a mobile theme would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Actually lads the archive function would work for me just to look up, but i know you cant post on it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-2054867516.html

I downloaded a style thats REALLY basic for PDAs and PSPs
    http://forums.sparky-s.com/index.php?styleid=10

For the admins if you decide to use it, its located here
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92071&page=1&pp=15&highlight=PDA+style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

ciaranfo wrote:
    If the mobile skin is brought back, bookmark (if you have the options for bookmarking) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=STYLE_NUMBER

Change STYLE_NUMBER to whatever number style it is and every page you look at from there will be in that style.

Then whenever you want to visit boards access it from that bookmark

The archive is not a good page to read as it doesn't quote text properly.

Could the running out of memory problem be caused by all the CSS information being in the header so it's loading what looks like one gigantic file instead of the html and the css seperately?

I'm sure having that much CSS in the header can't be good for loading times anyway. Aren't CSS files cached for faster loading on other pages?

steveland? wrote:
    If the mobile skin is brought back, bookmark (if you have the options for bookmarking) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php?styleid=STYLE_NUMBER

Change STYLE_NUMBER to whatever number style it is and every page you look at from there will be in that style.

Then whenever you want to visit boards access it from that bookmark
    My thoughts exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I support this product!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

didnt there used to be a text version a few year ago, or am i thinking of something completely different?

Quick fix...

Bookmark http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2F%3F_gwt_noimg%3D1 in your mobile/pda

You should get a (fairly badly laid out) version of boards but it's navigatable(ish)

To sign in you'll have to go to a post and hit quote, then put your details in.

You can't post things because the post field seems to have disappeared but you'll be able to browse.

Very short term solution though due to the layout and inability to post

Edit: actually you may be able to post... when you've put in your thread title hit continue, then put your message in on the next page. To post you have to hit the quote button but you can get rid of the quoted text afaik

Another Edit: you can use "Quick Reply to this message" and remove the quote in the text field and you can post without having to go to another page by hitting continue

• Advertisement

*bump* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've been over here http://www.avforums.com/ for a while and I've noticed that they have a display setting for PDA's in the User CP. I used it for my PSP today and it's great, everything is nicely laid out when you activate it.

Perhaps the mods could implement something similar. :D

*bump* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually a "forced" mobile skin would be a good idea. http://m.boards.ie/ (for example)

Strip out the javascript (most phones don't support it yet), obviously remove images and sigs á la the minimalist skin, and any other superflous items (Moderator tools, DHTML Menu, etc) to keep down the size of the files.

Dam good idea seamus. Seamus for president!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I heartly endorse this product and or service.

I want it even more now since I've got my smartphone .. anyone? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Aye, I'm a peespy user too and though I've not had the "running out of memory" issue (mine can load near any boards page alright) it does slow down tremendously if it's a "big-sig" thread.

Oh, you know what I mean ;)

Advertisement