Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Wireless to Mac Ethernet BB?

• 28-12-2005 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Ok, here's the set-up so far.

BT BB going through a Belkin wireless router in the hall. New PC laptop with wireless card which picks up the BB in the bedroom. Now, I need to get BB on my 5-year-old iMac (which is also in the bedroom). Problem is I can't find any USB dongle, or other, that will work with a Mac. I know I could splash out on a Airport Card, but I don't use the imac all that much.

So I'm thinking I could pick up the BB through the laptop with an ethernet cable. Is this possible? BB < (via Wireless Router) > PC Laptop < (via Ethernet Cable) > iMac?

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ok, here's the set-up so far.

BT BB going through a Belkin wireless router in the hall. New PC laptop with wireless card which picks up the BB in the bedroom. Now, I need to get BB on my 5-year-old iMac (which is also in the bedroom). Problem is I can't find any USB dongle, or other, that will work with a Mac. I know I could splash out on a Airport Card, but I don't use the imac all that much.

So I'm thinking I could pick up the BB through the laptop with an ethernet cable. Is this possible? BB < (via Wireless Router) > PC Laptop < (via Ethernet Cable) > iMac?

Any other ideas?

Just a pointer in case you do decide to look for the airport card be careful as the early imacs used an 'airport'card as distinct from an 'airport extreme' card and the airport card is now very very difficult to obtain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Cheers, yes I heard they're hard to get alright. I don't really want to go that route as I'm thinking of upgrading to a Mac Mini in the new year.

Anyways, I was hoping to just connect an ethernet cable from my laptop to iMac and 'bridge' the connection so to speak. Basically, little or no messing around if I can help it. :)

Advertisement