Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just installed Windows XP have some questions

• 28-12-2005 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I just re-installed windows xp and there are a few things different that i need fixing,

1st: If i login to boards and close down the site and open it again i have to login again, it's not storing my cookies i think but i dont know how to switch it on,

2nd: When installing windows i must have selected US settings, and now my @ key is (Shift+2) and i'd say there are more changed as well, how can i change it to European settings,

3rd: When scrolling down pages or moving a window it's draging really bad, it's hard to explan but it's like my computer is running slow .. but its fine,

can anyone help me,?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

1. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ it's safer for browsing
    Otherwise if you must use IE, start up Windows Automatic Updates and download/install all the security patches, especially the ones for IE.

2. Start Menu -> (Settings ->) Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - > change languages to English (United Kingdom) -> go to the Languages Tab -> click Details-> change that one to English UK too -> Ok -> restart computer.

3. Ummm... not sure what's wrong here... give more details maybe?
    Is the scrolling jerky or just slow no matter how fast you try to move it?
    Is the window creating a wake where you see lots of edges of windows when you drag it? or is it moving slowly no matter how fast you move the mouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

1 - instead of logging in from the front page, open a thread such as this and use the login box - making sure to check the "remember me" box...

3 - install your graphics card drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

a) control panel -> internet options -> privacy
    b) control panel -> regional and language options
    c) have you installed display drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

a) control panel -> internet options -> privacy
    b) control panel -> regional and language options
    c) have you installed display drivers?

OK thanks guys got the 1st to fixed.

I dont know if i have display drivers installed. i just reinstalled windows, i'm sure they are,

more info hope it might help,
    Is the scrolling jerky or just slow no matter how fast you try to move it? Jerky, If i use my mouse scroller (in the middle) it jumps as i go up and down the pages, If i click and hold the top bar on any window and move it it doesnt leave a shadow, just jerky, kinda like it needs to reload from place to place,

Is the window creating a wake where you see lots of edges of windows when you drag it? or is it moving slowly no matter how fast you move the mouse?
    No not seeing alot of edges, same thing happens doesnt matter how fast or slow i move it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

yep you need to install display drivers, have a look through the cds that came with the pc or if you bought the gfx card seperatly look for the disk that came with it for the driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

press the windows key and the pause break key together; system dialog box comes up. go to,hardware, device manager and see if anything has a yellow mark next to it. if so you need to install drivers for it.

greglo23 wrote:
    press the windows key and the pause break key together; system dialog box comes up. go to,hardware, device manager and see if anything has a yellow mark next to it. if so you need to install drivers for it.

See i dont have the drivers on CD, it does have a graphics card, but when reinstalling windows i didnt use the restore dick cos i lost it i got a new copy of Win XP and installed that, when i check the device manager it does say that there are no drivers for "Multimedia audio controller" , "Video Controller (VGA compatible)" and my printer but i have those,

I knwo what graphics card i have it's a standard geforeFX 5200 if i find them on the net and install them should it work ?

drivers installed and all is well.

cheers guys,

just noticed that i now have no sound,,, and i know it's the drivers, but i dont know what sound card i have , it's just the normal one that comes with the system i didnt add any new one, so what will i install ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Look for a program called CPU-Z. It will tell you almost everything about what is on your motherboard, including the sound card.

You can then download the drivers from the manufacturer's website.

• Advertisement

got cpu z ,, but i cant see anything about sound card, i clicked the motherboard tab, says model, chipset. southbridge etc, but nothing about sound card,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

try this http://tinyurl.com/e2f9x. Everest Home. it will give you a full report on your hardware and even active links to the drivers for your devices

cheers got them working

EDIT sorry replied instead of making a new post..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

(For reference) Edit -> delete this post.. confirm

Advertisement