Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car from France?

Options
  • 28-12-2005 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before but I am in a dodgy internet cafe in France with little time.

If I import a French car (clio) from France - French plates and insurance - can I keep it in Ireland indefinitely? My girlfriend would be driving it (she's French.)

If we keep things quiet can we keep the French plates and French insurance??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Of course not legally, you'd be skipping every tax on it there is.

Her french insurance wont cover it for that anyway, as surely there is a 30 day or less clause on the policy when it comes to driving it abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The French insurance may be limited to France and/or France and adjacent countries.

The insurance is probably based on residence, not origin.

Offficially you are probably obliged to re-register after a few months. If the car has been owned by your GF for more than a year(?) in France, it isn't liable to VRT unless shes sells it here.

You are not allowed drive the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Victor wrote:
    The French insurance may be limited to France and/or France and adjacent countries.

The insurance is probably based on residence, not origin.

Offficially you are probably obliged to re-register after a few months. If the car has been owned by your GF for more than a year(?) in France, it isn't liable to VRT unless shes sells it here.

You are not allowed drive the car.

It's 6 months, and can't be sold in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm open to correction on this but...

In regards to french plates... If you have been resident in a country and are the registered owner of that car in the country (France) for over 6 months, you are not liable to pay VRT if you bring it to Ireland.

I don't have a clue in relation to the insurance though sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 curieux2

For insurance, call AGF Cabinet Parisseaux in Le Mans
    They will cover you in Ireland
    Danielle PARISSEAUX (parisse@agents.agf.fr)
    74 RUE NATIONALE
    72000 LE MANS
    Tel : 02 43 23 45 40
    Fax : 02 43 77 12 31

but if you decide to stay, you will need to get Irish Reg and Insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Slight Ot but do you have to be a uk resident for the 6month rule to apply?

I travel over and back to the uk abit and have an address i stay at,if i was to buy a car in the uk and leae it garaged for the 6months,am i then entitled to bring it over and not be charged vrt or do you *have* to be living in the said country permanently?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eireal wrote:
    I travel over and back to the uk abit and have an address i stay at,if i was to buy a car in the uk and leae it garaged for the 6months,am i then entitled to bring it over and not be charged vrt or do you *have* to be living in the said country permanently?
    You need to be legally resident in the UK. The Revenue will have rules.

Advertisement