Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! [i need somebody help!]

Options
  • 28-12-2005 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

ok fellow ucdians i need yer help

1] I want to take german ab initio in applied lang centre as a module next semester. the thing is i did it for the leaving and got a B... am i allowed do this? [i've already enrolled for it btw] Ya see i could email/ring and ask them but i dont want to give the game away :D

2] Any suggestions for an elective that is interesting and fairly un-time consuming...and most important passable?

ur help muchly appreciated,
    D.

Comments

1.No idea. I'd guess yes.

2. Intro to Comp Architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'd second that about Comp Arch... Joe Carthy is a fuppin' legend! Everyone should experience his class at some stage. Plus the exam is really easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

right havin a look at the comp arch. can ya tell me what it involves in laymans terms...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well about half of it is basically just common sense, stuff that you pick up along the way if you've got any interest at all in computers. You do a tiny bit of assembly language, very little though. The rest would be just memorisation. Ahh... first year... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Scraggs wrote:
    1] I want to take german ab initio in applied lang centre as a module next semester. the thing is i did it for the leaving and got a B... am i allowed do this? [i've already enrolled for it btw] Ya see i could email/ring and ask them but i dont want to give the game away :D

I don't know whether you're allowed to do that but I don't think you'd be causing any harm doing it so I'd say chance your arm.
    Scraggs wrote:
    2] Any suggestions for an elective that is interesting and fairly un-time consuming...and most important passable?

I feel thats the wrong attitude to selecting modules unless there is absolutely nothing that appeals to you. I would recommend that you choose a module that you have a genuine or passing interest in rather than just picking something for the sake of it so you don't have to do much work or doss. Yeah 1st year is in all honesty about passing but you are more likely to succeed and do well doing something that you like. Look at what you're interested in, look at what you did at LC. I only realized that a fair bit of an Archaeology module covered alot of material I did in Art History at LC. Again it's your choice and we're not back until Jan 16 and I think you can change as often as you wish until Februrary so don't rush your decision.

• Advertisement

yeah i agree with ya there zane...but unfortunately the only electives i actually have an interest in clash with my majors:(

I'm gonna keep the german as i love speaking it and hopefully wont have to change!!

ok a little update....
    the applied lang centre rang me this morning [i had been asleep] and told me to unregister for it as it would me too easy for me ''far too basic for your standard''. kinda ragin as there isnt a single other thing i'm interested in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I'd recommend Introduction to Ethics if it's avaliable as an elective. Half the course is slightly dull but ridiculously easy to pass, the other half is a bit more difficult but the most interesting thing I studied last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I registered for Advanced German for Science with the ALC as one of my optional units at the beginning of the year. It never got going because only two people signed up. Weeks went by as they tried to find an Arts course for me to join but by the time that that didn't work out it was a bit to late for me to join anything else. So I decided to do another unit in the second semester.

Now I have to find another 3rd year subject that I meet the prerequisites for and that wasn't on in the first semester. I had decided on Official Satistics because it seems to cover a very wide range of topics, the lecturer was one of my favourite last year and I've applied for a job as a Census Enumerator. Unfortunatly it turns out that it's only on every second year, so I'm still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

as long as we're chatting about electives...howcomes I can't do one??

A girl I know in 1st Med told me she's doing some sort of English lit module this semester, is it a Horizons thing cos like she's a second year? Meanwhile a friend of mine in trinners (obv the one nice person in the place) is doing psychology but he's taken an elective in film studies aswell?

Is there no way I can do like introduction to zoology or something once a week? My inner geek would love to try something in a different faculty, I'd actually love to do some sort of basic law course cos I want to go to Kings Inns after my arts degree...

stupid horizons, a year too late for me! grrr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

wasnt there a meeting about bringing it into the curriculumn for current 2ndyrs + for next year? Thought i read that here somewhere anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

elmyra wrote:
    Is there no way I can do like introduction to zoology or something once a week? My inner geek would love to try something in a different faculty

Animal husbandry ftw :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Waltons wrote:
    Animal husbandry ftw :v:

holy sh1t is that the vet or the ag one? cos the vet one is a joke, if you want an easy pass its got to be ah all the way. even if youre a townie like me it was fecking pee pee, cant believe theyve invented a module outta that crap! *What is this? Answer: Lamb.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    wasnt there a meeting about bringing it into the curriculumn for current 2ndyrs + for next year? Thought i read that here somewhere anyways.

*prays* *crosses fingers and so forth*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

B-K-DzR wrote:

They want to modularise all years next year (it was on this site, in the Observer, front page of the Tribune, and there were posters and lecture addresses).

BUT, continuing students will not have the oportunity to take modules, for the simple reason that if you're in 3rd year you can't take an electicve at level 3 because you won't have llevels 1 and 2 in your ares and you cant take an elective at leve 1 because yuor not a 1st year.

haha, not that thick, knew about the modularisation plan...what rock would you have to be living under not to? Wasn't too sure on the old electives though, and now I'm all sad that I wont be doing anything new and exciting in a different faculty, but thanks for the info! Atleast it's cleared up, and I SUPPOSE the reason why is acceptable....*slopes off sobbing right down to the core of her little nerdy heart*

From experiencing both the old and the new system, I'm not too keen on modularisation tbh since now you have to pass absolutely every module within a subject whereas you previously just had to pass the subject overall. I'm teh screwed for 2nd year already!

Anyway Scraggs, I was gonna recommend you Info Studies since it is generally a piece of piss with a bit of work but I just checked the horizons site and it appears you can't do it as an elective or as a minor even in semester 2 for some reason. Maybe check yourself to make sure coz it's very passable. I wouldn't recommend on what I did last year, Geography modules are new and quite tricky and Sociology is just evil unless it really appeals to you.

Best thing to do is browse lectures in subjects next week to see if anything is to your fancy. Good luck anyhow :)

thanks zane!!
    i was looking at info studies but the modules clashed with one of my linguistics lectures unfortunately and i'm not allowed do sociology coz its not compatable with irish subjects.....
    anyway i've registered for french ab initio in the applied language centre and also spanish and gonna pick the one i like the best!!

i like the fact that with the horizons degree there are more subject choices available to students...but just wish it applied to me :v:

Anyway Scraggs, I was gonna recommend you Info Studies since it is generally a piece of piss with a bit of work .)

I did Info Studies in 1st year! Attended exactly 8 lectures and 2 tutorials and got hons, I practically felt bad about it because the department are sooooo nice. I was a class rep (sorry to anyone who was in my class, I was never around, I only volunteered cos nobody else did!) and at the department meeting they gave us free lunch, they're sooo nice. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Yerone with the double barrel surname is the worst lecturer ever ever ever though.

elmyra wrote:
    I did Info Studies in 1st year! Attended exactly 8 lectures and 2 tutorials and got hons, I practically felt bad about it because the department are sooooo nice. I was a class rep (sorry to anyone who was in my class, I was never around, I only volunteered cos nobody else did!) and at the department meeting they gave us free lunch, they're sooo nice. Couldn't recommend it highly enough. Yerone with the double barrel surname is the worst lecturer ever ever ever though.

Dr. Traxlor Brown! :D I'm nearly falling asleep at the thought of those 9am lectures from hell of her's for which I was complete and utter twat for attending most of them. :( Going to lectures makes you learn nothing - fact.

Yeah, free lunch for you and NO CLASS PARTY for me!!! :mad: I demand one now! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement