Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Networking Question

Options
  • 28-12-2005 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I feel like an idiot for asking this...

I have a wireless router downstairs, and have two desktops and one laptop. One desktop (main system) and the laptop are wireless. The other desktop isn't.

I want to use the older (non-wireless) desktop as a file server (Ubuntu with Samba).

Would a crossover cable between the two desktops show the older box as an equal member of the network, if you know what I mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

If you do it that way, your server will only be accessible through the desktop, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a router. Most wireless routers have some wired ports as well - does yours? If so, put the server next to the router with a standard CAT5 between them. They'll all be "equal members" then.

Advertisement