Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flat rate for isdn

Options
  • 28-12-2005 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

ok i currently have eircom Isdn and i have the eircom anytime package with is 150 free hours. is there any other flat rate package available on isdn that has over 150 free hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes, both Bt and UTV do a flat rate for 180 hours, and i'm not sure of the price but i think it's 30 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I'm on BT Anytime 180hr p/m. Works fine over ISDN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

lhave used sat for downloading and gor rid of it because no good for gaming online,curntelly using dial-up at speed 33.5kps,slow,very slow,broadband will be over a year away,just checked,looking at isdn with someone.can l buy a isdn modem else where and how do l then get conected,l have a anytime 150 hrs with eircom,could l use this or is it better to get from bt or utv,isdn has to be better for gaming online ?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

isdn is much better for games, in cs i went from 220 ping (56k) to 60-70 (isdn64k).

you have to ring up eircom and get your line upgraded to "eircom hi-speed" - joke of a name tbh - and then you can connect any isdn modem you want to the box eircom install in your house.

so have to get eircom to upgrade line to hi speed ,is that all l need them to do,can l buy isdn modem else where and get utv or bt to provide service,use imagine for telephone service as got sick of eircom high prices ,they dont do isdn,
    cheers for fast reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

yes, and yes.

You can get an ISDN 'terminal adapter' - not a modem - and use BT's service for the internet if you wish.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

just a quick question

how nuch does eircom charge to install isdn and what the monthly charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

€127 for install and €37.50 a month rental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

pretty pricey with ur ISP subscription after that

• Advertisement

djmarkus wrote:
    pretty pricey with ur ISP subscription after that
    Yes and your phonecalls. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I suppose its worth it when u get a ping of 40ms :)

I have only it for the fact that you get 2 lines which I need the phone free for calls. I am in a BB never area. :(

WELL,EIRCOM told a lot of bull,rang my house phone provider and they told me that they send me a form for request for isdn on my line and they sumitt it to eircom and should get 15 days later,l dont need to migrate backto eircom like they where telling me l had to
    connect to isdn is 119 and 37.50 per month,would get anytime internet package either bt or utv

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

E@gle. wrote:
    ok i currently have eircom Isdn and i have the eircom anytime package with is 150 free hours. is there any other flat rate package available on isdn that has over 150 free hours.
    Why in the name of all that's good and holy are you not going broadband?

If you can get ISDN, you can get broadband.

Why in the name of all that's good and holy are you not going broadband?

If you can get ISDN, you can get broadband.
    Really?

I cannot get Broadband and I have perfect ISDN. My exchange is not BB enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bond-007 wrote:
    I cannot get Broadband and I have perfect ISDN. My exchange is not BB enabled.
    Apologies. I only realised the error of my statement after I hit the 'Submit Reply' button.

When I was living in Baldoyle, I was using ISDN via the Sutton exchange for about two years before they upgraded Sutton to broadband. Sutton exchange was probably one of the last exchanges in Dublin to get upgraded.

But lots of people around Howth are on PSTN carrier-lines and served by the Sutton exchange and can't get Broadband. Boo-freakin-hoo! They can afford to employ immigrant labour to carry their 128 bit packets to and from the exchange by hand in Jiffy bags!

But if your local exchange *is* broadband enabled *and* you can't get broadband, then chances are that you're on a multiplexed carrier line and should try the upgrading to ISDN route to force Eircom into giving you a proper phone line to your house. Then after successful ISDN installation, cancel it and go broadband.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem I'm afraid.

LM IN SAME BOAT AS 007
    can get isdn but not bb as the local exchange is not bb enabled,eircom has to put in trigger in exchangeda nd upgrade line,maybe by 2010 if lm lucky,been promised wireless bb in area to community,over 8 months ago,still nothing,so looking at isdn,not perfect,but better than regular dial-up till get something better,had satillite for downloading,worked out same money as isdn will be
    will get 180 hour anytime package from bt,currently have eircom 150 hour same money as bt 180 hours,so bt better value

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

But if your local exchange *is* broadband enabled *and* you can't get broadband, then chances are that you're on a multiplexed carrier line and should try the upgrading to ISDN route to force Eircom into giving you a proper phone line to your house. Then after successful ISDN installation, cancel it and go broadband.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. Quite a lot of lines are too far away from the exchange and some other lines are of poor quality for various reasons like corroded wires and damaged internal wiring.

@ the OP:
    Do you want to use both channels for internet access? I'm not sure but I think only eircom allow access to its flatrate service using both channels.

And if you're in a bb enabled area, change to it if you can. You're very likely to be enabled for bb if you have isdn from an bb enabled exchange.

I think all the providers offering flatrate allow digital ISDN access on at least one channel but I'm not certain on that either.

from what l got from eircom in info was if you have eircoms 150 anytime and use both channell,you will half it as your using both channell 150 devided by 2= 75 hrs,you can get 180 anytime from bt or utv and both support isdn on dual channell

• Advertisement

If you attempt to muliplex your isdn channels on UTV or BT, you will get a stinking letter telling you to stop as its against their T&Cs. You will get charged at per min rates for your 128K connection.

so your saying .only be able to use 128 with eircom only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dun na nGal

:confused:help pleeese .... tech jargon way over my head .. want wireless bb for ordinary home use .. where to start ?????and how to know i'm not bieng riped off ??????????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty posted something a while back about tele2 where you get unlimited calls to a local number as long as the calls don't last more than an hour. you set the ISDN to hang up and redial ever 29 minutes. ISDN redial is v. fast so not a problem. all you need then is an ISP with a local no instead of the non-geographic 189x ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭thecivvie

ESAT BT also do free calls for upto an hour. Finding an ISP with a local access number is a pain but there is one which belongs to O2 which I use from time to time

Join Ireland Weather Network

tcob1 wrote:
    ESAT BT also do free calls for upto an hour. Finding an ISP with a local access number is a pain but there is one which belongs to O2 which I use from time to time
    http://web.o2.ie/personal/help/connecting_to_the_internet/pc_laptop.jsp

Click the link for local access numbers.

Correct. As you said it will reduce your 150 hours to 75. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Ocean free and UTV's free number (1890927171) also accept 128k calls.

It may be possible to bundle UTVs free number as a second channel with
    the prepaid account running on the first. I remember hearing something on the
    phone that suggested it could be OK. I'll test it when I get some time,
    and post back at the weekend. Anyone any experienec of this?

Stick with UTV (180hrs) or BT(who also have a 250 hrs option) for your normal use at 64k,
    and use one of the above if you need a 128k connection occasionally.

Of course you'll be billed per minute twice for those calls, and if you use
    the UTV free while on a UTVip account enabled phone number, they'll drop you a line telling you you're using the wrong number and costing yourself money.

As for the eircom setup, it would want to be set up very poorly to drop your hours all the way to 75.
    The second channel shouldn't kick in unless you really need it, so you may do better than cutting your time in half.

NiallB

It may be possible to bundle UTVs free number as a second channel with
    the prepaid account running on the first. I remember hearing something on the
    phone that suggested it could be OK. I'll test it when I get some time,
    and post back at the weekend. Anyone any experienec of this?

This will trigger a letter from UTV to stop using 128K and we will be charging you per min rates from now on. I wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi Bond, what I'm looking at is subtly different to simply
    using 2 channels on the 1893 number, which is against T&C.

As I said, when I get a chance to test it I will,
    and post back here in a few days.

If I get a letter, I can add it to my collection of
    "Please stop doing that immediately" missives!

NiallB

Advertisement