Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frequency of irish dial tone.

Options
  • 28-12-2005 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

The uk frequency is 350Hz same for ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Legitimate

Have a look at www.eircomwholesale.ie and under regulatory services go to local loop unbundling. there's a document there that gives all the tests/frequencies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

We're intrigued. Tell us why you want to know. Most telephony tones are 'well known' to telephony software (busy, answering machine, fax tone). Why are you singling out dialtone?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chuckleberryfin

Wvdial is supposed to be an intelligent Linux ppp dialer, but never checks for the absence of a dial tone before it dials out. The people I share my house with get a bit peeved whenever I don't check that no one is using the phone before the computer dials out. I have ppp set for demand which it sortof has to be, anyway I amn't going to change it. I got to thinking that if I could determine if the dial tone wasn't present on the line I could stop wvdial from dialing. If I knew the frequency of the Irish dial tone I could send the Hayes command ATH1, record some line noise and then test if the fundamental frequency of the recording was the frequency of the Irish dial tone. I thought a simple c++ program would probably spare me alot of grief. Thanks for the info. BTW if anyone sees a problem with this plan or knows a simpler (automatic) method of determining if someone is using the phone line, please let me know.

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 SHAKESPEARE_SIS

If i unserstand your problem correctly, I think there's a simpler way.
    Most modems have a command which forces the modem to wait for dialtone before dialling - ATX2 or ATX4 as far as i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chuckleberryfin

If i unserstand your problem correctly, I think there's a simpler way.
    Most modems have a command which forces the modem to wait for dialtone before dialling - ATX2 or ATX4 as far as i remember.
    Gah, why the hell didn't I think of that. ATX2 and ATX4 will force the modem to wait. Thank you very much sis you've been most helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement