Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spreadsheets webpages - tables or CSS?

Options
  • 28-12-2005 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

I have a pile of webpages to do with data in table (spreadsheet) fomat. Is it better to do them purely in CSS or as tables?

With CSS there seems to be a lot more control over the layout - the results actually look like spreadsheets. The tables version seems to have problems as it requires some element of CSS (border-collapse - which does not seem to work across all browsers) to get the proper look. Anyone any theory on which is the best way to do this?

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Me, personally, I would export the spreadsheet as html code, then paste the code into your webpage and tidy up the html, adding any css as neccessary for styling.

Reason being, you seem to have a lot of spreadsheets to do and I reckon css will be a godsend when things need to be tweaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Me, personally, I would export the spreadsheet as html code, then paste the code into your webpage and tidy up the html, adding any css as neccessary for styling.

Reason being, you seem to have a lot of spreadsheets to do and I reckon css will be a godsend when things need to be tweaked.
    It will be taking data from a database to generate the pages. The worst case will have around 3.6 million spreadsheet webpages or if I limit it to large hosters, around 300K pages. That's three for every hoster in com/net/org/biz/info/ie going back to 2000. (2005 and 2004 totals and one historical view 2000-2005). The starting point will be a template webpage that will be used by a script to produce the page. (I'm going for static webpages for most of this because it is less of a load on the server.)

So far the CSS version actually looks like a spreadsheet. With a couple of tweaks, the table based one looks like a spreadsheet too but it is not as clean as the CSS version.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement