Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilisation 4 demo is great!

Options
  • 29-12-2005 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

I've just played the Civilisation 4 demo twice now and I have to say I think it's great!, does anyone own the full version?, if so, how does it hold up in the longevity/replayability stakes?. Another question is, the demo is limited up until the 'classical age', does the game get even better after that?!. Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Its a fantastic game. Buy it as soon as you can. Its Civ 2 looking and playing better. IGN gave it game of the year 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

class game get it when you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Gamespot gave it PC Game of the Year too. Resi 4 got overall game of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Best civ game to date i think. Someone must take the game away from me as for the past month its all i have been playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Laguna wrote:
    how does it hold up in the longevity/replayability stakes?
    Games can last for days and every game is different. It holds up very well :)

I take it from your post that you havn't played a civilization before.. no better time to start as this is the best one yet. And while 'clasical age' is fun, you progress right up to modern times (and slightly beyond) so things do get more interesting.

My game of the year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I'll be picking it up tomorrow, only heard good things about it. For anybody who has it how is the multiplayer side of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Have to say I wasn't impressed at all with this revision of Civ.

Mounted units are now utterly underpowered and effectively useless. (admittedly overpowered before, but still). Knights are now the single worst unit in the game.

NO DEFENSIVE POWER RATING ON UNITS. God that's unbelievably stupid. Training units with defensive bonuses through xp is a good idea, but there was no reason to remove the offensive/defensive power rating on units. Takes a huge amount of the balancing act out of the building of an army.

There are lots of stupid interface changes that annoy me too - no click-dragging on a unit to do a go-to, tiny indistinguishable buttons for your advisors, you can't switch between them in the advisors window itself, and they STILL haven't got a decent window madeup for looking through the civilopedia! How difficult is it to organise the main page of the pedia with a fcking index button??

Meirs' products, like Molenyeux's are getting more and more shoddy and "unfinished" at release time imo. Pirates is another example of this.

Advertisement