Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are the new Fiat Puntos (01 - 05) that bad??

Options
  • 29-12-2005 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im driving a 98 punto, 1.2 16v, and apart from the exhaust needing to be changed, I havent had any trouble in the 2 years that I own it. It only cost me €2500 so I dont think it owes me anything.

Ive been thinking of changing it recently, and Ive spotted some really nice, relatively new Fiat Puntos around. Anytime I mention the word punto though, people cringe!! Is that something thats been tagged to them for years or is it really a reflection of the car in general. Have I been lucky with mine maybe?

A good friend of mine reckons if I stay with 16v ELX models then Id be grand because they are manufactured with a lot more care than the others. I know they dont hold their value but I really like the road handling and nippyness of the punto!!

Any thoughts? Id be interested to see the opinions of the local motor experts here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm no expert, but puntos have a reputation for eating head gaskets like sweeties after about 40k miles. That coupled with the general bad reputation fiat has for reliability is probably what makes them dirty words!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

My GF had a 00 Punto she bought second hand (it's the new old shape if you know what i mean). she clocked up 79k miles on it. No problems at all. Head gasket never went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

They are pretty cheap alright, but you don't see many with big mileage. I've heard they can give lots of small problems which can be annoying to get fixed and fiat garages and parts are expensive. Might buy one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

They are pretty cheap alright, but you don't see many with big mileage. I've heard they can give lots of small problems which can be annoying to get fixed and fiat garages and parts are expensive. Might buy one myself.

Mine's up to 81000 now.. NCT is next week so its a big time for my little rocket. Its due a service so I delayed that and Im just going to let it fail the NCT and then give the list of what needs fixing to the mechanic and see what he says.

If its any more than 400 or 500 then Ive a decision to make!

• Advertisement

Avoid.

Any elaboration?? I have one for the past 2 years... WHY do I need to avoid?

Trotter wrote:
    Mine's up to 81000 now.. NCT is next week so its a big time for my little rocket. Its due a service so I delayed that and Im just going to let it fail the NCT and then give the list of what needs fixing to the mechanic and see what he says.

If its any more than 400 or 500 then Ive a decision to make!

By high mileage I meant over 100K...:D

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=311104
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=334079

Avoid.

Can you report people for drivel? :rolleyes:

My GF bought one as her first car (Before we met).

It was brand new, an unwanted prize.

For the first year it was ok, then the problems started:

Windscreen wipers stopped one day in heavy rain, due to a piece of linkage falling off.
    Head gasket gone at 24,000 miles.
    Electrics causing bulbs to blow frequently.
    Light fittings leaking also causing bulbs to blow.
    Clutch failed at 18,000 miles.

At 3 years old, and 30,000 miles, i had a pain in my arse getting calls regarding the punto, and demanded that she replace it with a toyota corolla.
    Went around the toyota dealers with GF. Trying to trade in a fiat is like being told you have a terminal disease. Eventually we found on dealer who would take it as a trade in. GF got 2,500 as an allowance for it of a 2 year old corolla.

So avoid like the plague, otherwise you are sucked in to fiats for life unless you can afford to cut your losses.

• Advertisement

Can you report people for drivel? :rolleyes:

The OP requested advice, which i gave. If you dont like my replies, F**k off somewhere else.

The OP requested advice, which i gave. If you dont like my replies, F**k off somewhere else.

LOL :D at least you're consistent.
    Trotter wrote:
    Ah yeah but 81k is pretty steep for a 98 punto!

We've a '91 fiesta with 100k. Obviously it has a few "issues". You just don't see many fiats with big mileages. Maybe at that point owners just keep him till they quit. Anyone I know with fiats had very little trouble with them. Mind you none of them would be driving all that hard. I reckon fiats don't take well to a ham fisted driving, hard driving or neglect.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

THe thing with Puntos is that they're unbelievibly inconsistent. I have heard (and suffered) all the horror stories. Just remember that they're very cheap. you'll pick up a 01 punto for a few grand. You'll spend an awful lot more on the equivelant Yaris or Polo. The punto'll usually be better equipped and nicer to drive. the downside is that if you uget a bad one, it'll break your heart. not just the obvious stuff like head gasket failure or gearboxes going, you're talking really annoying stuff like one of the doors not locking or warning lights coming on for no apparent reason. The 01-05 punto feels very solid and is very spacious, but if you're anyway frightened by the potential big repair bills, try something less fashionable like a Starlet Micra or Swift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And a Happy New Year to you Sir! :D

Banned!:mad:

Mike.

Advertisement