Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3d Accelerator Card ?

Options
  • 29-12-2005 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

This is a rather clueless question but I really don't want have a clue what I'm doing here ! Also, apologies if this isn't the right forum.

I'm trying to run Lionhead's The Movies on my new laptop but the game exits to windows once the first logo animations come up. My comp seemed to meet the minimum spec. However, where I was told I need a

"3D Hardware Accelerator Card required - 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 32MB Hardware T&L-capable video card and latest drivers*"

I was left slightly confused and decided to go on despite my pathetic knowledge of video cards etc. So basically, according to my Everest Home Edition, my laptop has the following;
    Video Adaptor: Intel (R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (64MB)
    3D Accelerator: Intel Extreme Graphics 2

So basically, I'm wondering what, if anything, I have to invest in to get my laptop beefed up a bit to play such games. Strangely Half Life 2 works (albeit not too fast or prettily) so I just presumed this game would to ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It should work. That lappy card is very weak but nonetheless it should work. Do you have the latest version of Directx?

Unfortunately unlike PCs, ungrading a lappys gfx card is just not viable. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Thanks for the reply, Dirext x 9 came with the game so installed that ? How odd. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Integrated chips (like the Intel Extreme Graphics(...) chips) are not to be confused with video cards (aka 3d accelerator cards, etc) because they don't have dedicated memory (ie, they 'borrow' from the system). Which makes them pathetic for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As crap as they may be they still for the most part have T&l and work with alot of games, regardless of the quality. Obviously you won't run the likes of Quake IV or FEAR on some of them but a 64mb integrated chip will definately support any game needing a 32mb card with t&l

Also an integrated intel chip can still be referred to as a 3d accelerator.

Advertisement