Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full-time job for 17 yo

Options
  • 29-12-2005 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone knows anywhere thats hiring in cork. I'm 17 and finished school. I have a job at the moment but I'm not getting enough hours ( 20 a week ) I'd be looking for about 40ish. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

what kinda work you looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Try Rci....As much Hours as you want. Savage pay....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Yah went to RCI but I didn't like that kinda stuff. I had to sell timeshare holidays to people over the phone. I'd be up for pretty much anything. I work in a bar now so talking to people is no problem, anythings that pays me remotly well 300+/week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I well i actually work in a Different Part of Rci Its a Company within Rci... I wouldnt do outbound calling either selling time shares......I dont think we are lookin for staff anyway... Sorry

I suppose I could always try apple or siemens, they're always good for a job aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's usually something going in Siemens, tho the money may or may not be great depending on the opening. I'll have a sconce around tomorrow and let you know what's going...

Thanks a lot that would be great. i'm used to getting 7.65 and hour. It can only be the same or better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Try secuity companies- apparently the pay is sweet.

but for a seventeen year old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

You could try Abtran (another call centre type environment) but you would have to submit your CV to cork@lacreme.ie first as they only deal w/ CV's who have been met by a consultant from La Creme. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know a guy who started working part time for a security company when he was 17, he's still with them at the moment. You should call a few around for application forms and ask them how old do they take people on at. You'd probably be more suited to retail than industrial estates, but it's still at bout EUR10 an hour apparently so that's fantastic?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

pay is 7.85ish vary between them mcm are easiest to get into try um i was 18ish when i started was with expess boss a langer group 4 dont pay overtime they give ya extra hours but pay flat rate for it mcm would be best bosses are sound sites ok but do industrial shops are acunt too much hassle get industrial relax watch tv sleep wa ever but dont get caught watch out for guy called mick collier proper **** sneaky parks van away from site sneaks up on ya apart from him its cushy

I know one of the lads working for MCM and seeing as he's doin Industrial, he's all over the gaff- works from Midleton to Carrigaline to Ballincollig. This is obviously very cushy, if you have the means to get to and from work, but goin all over the place would wreck my head. Another guy is doin Retail, and yeah- not as cushy, but he's getting EUR10 an hour. On the down side, he was walking all over Wilton Shopping Centre for hours on a Saturday...

Era sure I could do with an owl walk once in a while. I'll definatly give a ring around so. There's a security crowd ( sheehan ) working in the bar I'm in now. Might ask him

sheehans very hard to get into gaff run by retired guards

I was talking to the fella who does the security in the pub and he said that if he gives me a recommendation ( i'm pretty friendly with him ) I should get in alright no problem. So I think i'll try that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You could try Abtran (another call centre type environment) but you would have to submit your CV to cork@lacreme.ie first as they only deal w/ CV's who have been met by a consultant from La Creme. :)
    my best friend works for abtran and hates it with a passion, have to spend all day dealing w. idiots on the phone

Yah tbh I wouldn't like a call center at all. Too much hassle. Security would be grand, nice and easy. I'm gonna try siemans as well. For IT support.

Apple as well- I know a girl who used to work in the IT Support there. I think she said it was on the northside somewhere.

Apple said they can only give me contract work for 3 weeks at a time. So it's a last resort

• Advertisement

You should try companies like Boston Scientific and Pfizers. I know it's factory work, but it's a job.

Sorry, i'm just throwing suggestions at ya!

ohh yah I never thought of them. I don't care what I'm doing tbh just not call centre. There's always labouring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

Tree wrote:
    my best friend works for abtran and hates it with a passion, have to spend all day dealing w. idiots on the phone

I'd say that's more than likely, god knows, I wouldn't want to work a call-centre because in truth they're ALL the same!
    However, for someone who's 17, the easiest place to find work is that kind of environment, helps to build experience though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

other jobs for the underage usually involve restaurants and supermarkets. stuck in teh services industry. some places are grand though, spent 4 and half yers in mcdonalds and it was grand. one year on in tescos adn the place sucks ass, the checkout manager is a thundering bitch

ant luck yet

no m8 going out to tescos and the cinema tonight. They have to give me a job surely

tescos in wilton are takin cv's but arent hiring until at least march to the best of my knowledge, it sucks to work there anyways

im told mahon point cinema is looking for anyone who can work there

Yah I handed in my cv yesterday. She said that the main requirment was being able to speak english :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

i need a job fulltime so if anyone knows one post away it would be great.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement