Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petition Perhaps?

Options
  • 29-12-2005 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I know this subject has been done to death here and generally people who read this are not guilty of offending, but......

Having done some driving in other countries, I have noticed lots of countries fine drivers for sitting in the overtaking lane while not overtaking, ( not looking in your mirrors is surely also an offence...)
    Do you think if enough people hollered about it we could organise the same here?
    Don't get me wrong I am deeply opposed to the Nanny or police state but this is a bloody epidemic here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I always knew it would happen one day.
    Last week I travelled up the m1 in an empty slow lane whilst undertaking about 20 odd cars.
    crazeeeeee.
    Driver inattention in this country is a huge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id be asking for a propper motorway first . 2 lanes is just not on. i know a lot of people do hug the overtaking lane but thats cause they know and quite right in some cases . that if they move into the other they will never get back out .

id say you would have a better chance if you stood in the middle of the motorway with a sign stuck to yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

elexes wrote:
    id be asking for a propper motorway first . 2 lanes is just not on.

Two lanes is not great for capacity reasons, but it doesn't stop people driving properly - I drove to Italy last summer (through UK, Holland, Germany, Austria), and most of the inter-city motorways on the continent are 2-lane, with 3 or 4 lanes around cities.

There was no problem with people hogging the overtaking lanes because they knew how to drive

Their behaviour:
    drive in the driving lane,
    look ahead and behind, to work out when to overtake slower traffic when you are able to pull out safely
    when in overtaking lane, actually accelerate to do some overtaking!
    if there is someone behind gaining on you when you are overtaking, look to pull in and let them through before you continue overtaking the next few vehicles
    as soon as you have passed the slower vehicles, pull back in, even if there is no one behind you
    if you are in a hurry, put on your indicator and other drivers will get out of your way, even if they are travelling fast themselves

Of all of the countries that we drove through, the driving standards were best in Italy, closely followed by Germany, with Holland and the UK not being half as good. In Italy, there were messages on the Autostrada matrices to the effect that you would get two points on your licence for driving in the overtaking lane while not overtaking...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

the m50 needs atleast 2 more lanes each way but as for other motorways i'd say two lanes is sufficent, my father always does that he just doddles along in the fast lane and cars have to undertake him, and he keeps doing it without even realising no matter how much you tell him.

so it must be a lack of education about it or just plan bad driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

You need a petition for the guards to start pulling these jokers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i agree two lanes can be good i drove to manchester last march and had no probloms in any of the two lane motorways infact i thought they were brillent .
    but once we approached a city they became 4 lane motorways . with one lane almost entirly full of trucks and bus's moving at a good place not interupting the flow of traffic for the cars

if you look at the m1 its a excelent motorway untill you come to the airport then you hit traffic and its almost bumper to bumper .

i just think that another lane would make a huge difference . even if its only a lane for buses / trucks / emergency traffic etc..

a stay left campain would be good to see tho . or a keep two cars back . thats another thing i saw in the uk . in high speed aera's ( im guessing there high speed aera's as its the only reason i could think for this ) they had arrows on the road and signs asking to please keep two arrows distace away from the car infront of you. its a small thing but im sure it works wonders in axident prevention

also they seemed to have more places to pull in for a rest and they were better signposted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dilly1

Ye sure we still don't have a motorway in this country, well not a proper one
    anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

draffodx wrote:
    so it must be a lack of education about it or just plan bad driving?
    What education ?

Many on the motorway are self certified.

Judging by the constant "am I allowed to ?" questions on this forum a fair proportion of drivers don't understand the rules of the road despite signing a legal document stating that they did.

Advertisement