Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DivX/XviD Player

• 29-12-2005 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where I can buy a cheap DivX/XviD Player in Dublin? nothing fancy in and around the €60-€80 mark if possible. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

curry or powercity i am nearly sure have a standard philips for under 100 and it plays dvix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I got the Philips 5100 for 85, but it seems to be 99 now. Lidl, Aldi or Maplins do cheaper ones though. The philips one I have is ok, but is limited to short filenames and sometimes acts up ejecting disks. That said it has played every type of DivX I've tried in it. I much prefer watching DVD's to DivX's because of the chapters etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I got the Philips 5100 for 85.

Is that the one in argus for €99? if so I may as well go for it, thanks guys

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sorry for going slightly OT here, but does anybody know if a Dvd player exists that has the following features,

High Definition
    Divx support
    and also a USB port.

I have come across the IIsonic 1130 from pixmania but that one is not HD. And likewise there are many HD ready ones there without the USB port.

Leonard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I got the Philips 5100 for 85, but it seems to be 99 now. Lidl, Aldi or Maplins do cheaper ones though. The philips one I have is ok, but is limited to short filenames and sometimes acts up ejecting disks. That said it has played every type of DivX I've tried in it. I much prefer watching DVD's to DivX's because of the chapters etc.
    i bought one of these based on recommendations here and have found it to be rather crap tbh.
    the choppy framerate on certain divx files makes them almost totally unwatchable (imo, at least)
    having to reencode them using xvid seems to be the only option available.
    think i'll sell it and build myself a media box for a few hundred quid instead...

i've never had framerate problems with my parent's divx player - a "yamada" something or other from maplins. it's a fine player if you don't mind having a cheap ass sounding brand...
    the tray can be a bit dodgy though

• Advertisement

Leonard wrote:
    Sorry for going slightly OT here, but does anybody know if a Dvd player exists that has the following features,

High Definition
    Divx support
    and also a USB port.

I have come across the IIsonic 1130 from pixmania but that one is not HD. And likewise there are many HD ready ones there without the USB port.

Leonard

I say a newer philips one in down on dame st that supported divx and HD. Not sure about USB.
    tman wrote:
    i bought one of these based on recommendations here and have found it to be rather crap tbh.
    the choppy framerate on certain divx files makes them almost totally unwatchable (imo, at least)
    think i'll sell it and build myself a media box for a few hundred quid instead...

i've never had framerate problems with my parent's divx player - a "yamada" something or other from maplins. it's a fine player if you don't mind having a cheap ass sounding brand...

Some of the cheaper brands seem to have more features and handle more codecs. Especially the poorly encoded stuff from the web. Maplins never seem to have the yamada in stock which is why I bought the philips.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

hi lads just in case anybody is interested i have a high def dvd/divx/wmv/xvid for sale on boards check it out

TCP/IP wrote:
    hi lads just in case anybody is interested i have a high def dvd/divx/wmv/xvid for sale on boards check it out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054868260

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

tman wrote:

I too have just recently bought the philips 5100 after my Yamada developed a picture fault after two years and as tman mentioned the philips does indeed suffer from a choppy framerate as does the Yamada may i add.
    This is caused by what is termed ' packed bitrate ' which is inherent in the way the video file was originally encoded.

There is however , and it is the what i do , a way to solve this without re-encoding the whole movie and that is by unpacking this bitrate . A small program called mpeg4modifier ( just google ) will check to see if the file is indeed encoded with packed bitrate and will also unpack it for you if you so wish.Trust me by checking the file first with this small program can save a lot of heartache later .Btw the unpacking process only takes a minute or so depending on spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

chopster wrote:
    There is however , and it is the what i do , a way to solve this without re-encoding the whole movie and that is by unpacking this bitrate . A small program called mpeg4modifier ( just google ) will check to see if the file is indeed encoded with packed bitrate and will also unpack it for you if you so wish.Trust me by checking the file first with this small program can save a lot of heartache later .Btw the unpacking process only takes a minute or so depending on spec.
    kudos to you if that program actually works. sounds like just what i'm looking for :)
    i'll give it a try later on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yeah, you'll need to use MPEG4Modifier on some XviD files (especially TV shows) before they'll play on some DivX players.

The Silvercrest KH 6508 sold by Lidl a few months ago (for €70) doesn't have this requirement though.

dr divx is what u need

TCP/IP wrote:
    dr divx is what u need

Whats that then?

it will reencode any avi file into the new divx 6 format always works for me when i have a troublesome file oh and it shrinks the files even smaller without loosing quality check out www.divx.com

Advertisement