Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis reliability

Options
  • 29-12-2005 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new(er) Avensis, trading up from my trusty '98 diesel model. However, I've heard from two independent sources (mechanics) that the '03+ model is not as reliable as the previous one, that there's quite a few engine problems being encountered by owners.

Nothing more specific than that, dunno if it's just '03 models, diesel or petrol, but I'm wondering is that a general concensus or just two bad experiences?

To all Avensis owners, can you let me know what your experience is or what you've heard.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the engines on the 03 models were carried over prom the previous generation. the 1.6 VVT-i was on the Avensis since '00, as was the 2.0 D-4D Diesel engine. the only problem with the 03 new model was on the headlights, but this was later rectified. Sure there's more potential problems with common rail diesel engines, and more electronics on the car, but when your model Avensis came out in the tail end of '97, there was a chorus of "It'll never be as good as the Carina E" so it's up to you! of all the new cars on sale today it's very hard to come near Toyota for reliability or build quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I know a lad who bought an 05 diesel avensis after owning a `01 old styled one. Hes had no reliability issues but he reckons its slower then the old car and not juat as economical either.

There a sweet car though. I cant see the new model giving too much trouble, sure they reckon the new Landcruiser`s arent as reliable as the last model either, but i dont think they`re giving loads of trouble like, so i wouldnt say they can be that bad. More a case of instead of being Super reliable, down to greatly reliable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

lovely looking car anyway, toyota are finally making cars people want.

Nuttzy wrote:
    I know a lad who bought an 05 diesel avensis after owning a `01 old styled one. Hes had no reliability issues but he reckons its slower then the old car and not juat as economical either.

this is true, all the safety stuff and increased size makes the new one heavier, although the 2.2 sorts out any speed problems, the Corolla 1.4 D-4D is closer to the old avensis in size, and is as nippy too,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

The parents have a 2002 D4D, but the old shape. It is not a particularly economical car, and only does about 43mpg (city/back road driving). I think it is common knowledge that the new one is worse. The engine has done about 80k now with no problems.

We had a '99 Avensis TD before, and the head went on it under warranty, and come to think of it all the suspensions were replaced in the first 12 months. Toyota also replaced most of the early 1.6 VVTis. A friend of mine got a phone call one day and was asked if he would drop his car in for a new engine!

Toyota give fantastic service which makes any problems you might have much more bearable.

There is a facedlifted avensis coming out sometime on 06.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well I have the MkII Avensis since 2003. I had a 2001 model before that. It is the 1.8 Luna saloon model and have covered 70k in it since new.

There have been two small issues with it since I had it:
    • After a couple of weeks there was a rattle coming from the rear part of the interior. It ended up being a plastic clip located near one of the rear reading lights. Replaced and no bother from it since then.
    • Early this year I noticed that the inside of the drivers side front headlight fogged up after very heavy rain or a car wash. Apparently this was a design flaw with the clip that held the light socket in place. The whole front headlamp unit was replaced under warranty and I was given a replacement car for the duration of the time the car spent in the garage. The flawed part in the headlight was redesigned from late 2004 onwards.
    These are the only two problems I have had with the car in almost 3 years so don't really have much to complain about.

As for comparing economy between the new Avensis and the old one, well the new car is bigger, taller and heavier than the old model. All engines were carried over from the previous model. The old model, like most Jap cars back then felt very light but the new model feels much more solid and you even get that nice clunk sound when you close the door. They are also very safe and have a 5 star Euro NCAP rating and the only car in this class to have 9 air bags as standard including a knee air bag located just above the pedals.

Which ever model you go for I would advice you to avoid the 1.6 petrol version as my girlfriend's father has one and it struggles in the heavy shell and economy suffers too. He is averaging around the same mpg as I am getting from the 1.8.

Comfortwise, I find the car great and often do a few trips from Limerick to Dublin or Galway and feel fresh getting out after the journey, the seats are comfortable and if you opt for the Luna model you get multi-zone climate control which allows your passangers to have different air temperature to the driver.

Servicing is pretty reasonable too, I pay around €150 every 12k miles from the main dealer which is not bad imo.

I have heard alright from a few taxi drivers about the 2.0 D4-D diesel unit that the fly wheel had failed on a few engines with 100k miles plus and that it can be expensive to replace. Not sure on the exact facts of this though.

I know the looks are not to everyones taste but overall I like the car and would have no problem buying another one.

All cars will need some bits replaced with high mileage, try driving a Passat or Laguna and compare your bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Sound, thanks for all your helpful advice.

Certainly the multi-zone climate control is a must, that'll save a lot of hassle with my wife over control of the heater knob!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

What's Good
    Launched in Japan as the Allion in January 2002 and in UK as the Avensis in March 2003. A much sleeker, more exciting looking car than the old Avensis. Saloon, hatchback and estate bodies (Verso arrived August 2001). 4,630mm long (estate 4,700mm) x 1,760mm wide. Has 129bhp 1.8 litre direct injected VVTi petrol engine, 2.0 litre chain cam 147bhp VVTi direct injected petrol and 116bhp 2.0 litre D-4D, conforming to Euro4 emissions standard (arrived May 2003). Manual or sequential shift automatic on petrol engines. Handles much better than old Avensis because benefits from Toyota's change in suspension strategy (has double wishbone rear). Nine airbags (including driver's knee bag), a/c, 8 way electric front seats and eight speaker stereo all standard. Satnav and Traffic Avoidance systems optional. Prices from £13,995 for 1.8 VVT-i up to £21,495 for 2.0 VVT-i T Spirit Tourer auto. Low insurance groups from 7E for 1.8 VVT-i through 8E for D-4D to 9E for 2.0 VVT-i Spirit. Best ever ressults in NCAP crash tests gave total score of 34 points and 5 Star rating. Drives, handles and rides very well, in same class as a Mondeo. Two new engines for 2004: 2.0 D-CAT has NOX and PM reducing cat, develops 114bhp and 280Nm torque. 2.4 DI petrol engine develops 161bhp and 240Nm torque, gets car to 60 in 8.8 seconds. Offered with optional 5-speed sequential multi-mode autobox.

Road test and long-term tests of diesel at:
    www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=90;
    www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=98;
    www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=107

Along with previous model came 19th from top in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 82.2%.

New Piezo electronic injected alloy block Euro IV diesels announced March 2005 will transform the car and take full advantage of its excellent chassis. 2.2 D-4D with 148bhp at 3,600rpm and 310Nm from 2,000 to 3,200rpm. Lightweight all-aluminium construction. New, compact six-speed manual transmission. Targeted top speed of 130mph and 0-62mph in 9.3 seconds. Targeted combined fuel consumption of 47.9mpg and CO2 emissions of 156g/km. New 6-speed transmission. Available in the UK from 1st July 2005 at prices from £18,145.

Also 2.2 D-CAT Clean Power, on sale in UK from mid 2006. 180PS = 175bhp and 400Nm from 2,000 to 2,600rpm. Combined fuel consumption on average 20 per cent lower than rival engines with similar output (target figure). Lighter than most engines in segment, 11 per cent lighter than current 2.0-litre D-4D unit. World’s lowest compression ratio for a production diesel engine, 15.8:1, aiding quieter operation and better performance from start-up. Electrically-activated turbocharger with turbine wheel inertia reduced by 30 per cent for quicker engine response. Toyota D-CAT system makes engine the cleanest on the market for combined nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions. Class-leading cost of ownership profile.

Both 2.2 diesel engines produced in Poland by Toyota Motor Industries Poland (TMIP)

What's Bad
    Looks don't appeal to everyone. Looks classier in darker colours. Admitted road noise problem seems to have arisen with 5-door automatics, not caused by tyres. Reports of rattle from steering column/steering rack. Irritating rather than dangerous and replacements in short supply.

What to Watch Out For
    No problems apart from a mysterious rattle from the rear experienced by HJ over 6 months with a D-4D, but make sure recall work has been carried out. If the engine intermittantly cuts out and the fault cannot be diagnostically traced it may be due to a faulty safety fuel cut-off solenoid switch. On D-4D, cutting out can also be caused by a build of of salts on a hot wire in the mass airflow sensor. VVT-i engines can start to use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles after 40,000 miles.

(dons anorak)

The Allion was actually launched in 2001, and isn't really the same thing as an Avensis. The uk built avensis was actually the first car Toyota exported to Japan.

Also in Ireland we get the option of the 1.6 VVT-i from the Corolla Auto. and we don't get the 180bhp diesel that the UK get either, pity!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

colm_mcm wrote:
    (dons anorak)

The Allion was actually launched in 2001, and isn't really the same thing as an Avensis. The uk built avensis was actually the first car Toyota exported to Japan.

Wow .. first time I heard anyone query Honest John .. honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MrWenger1982

I have a choice of a 2 litre Avensis D4D Diesel (01) for 10k (70k miles) or 2 litre Avensis SOL Petrol (00) for 6.5k (55k miles). Any reliability issues with either model? Which would be easier to run (cost of petrol vs diesel)? thanks!

The Sol will have some nice goodies on it, and the Avensis D-4D will likely be an Aura model (standard model + sunroof, CD, colour coded handles) the 116bhp D-4D is brilliantly suited to this model, there's masses of pulling power, and while it's not quite as smooth as the old 2.0 TD, is still fairly refined.

The figures figures for the 2.0 petrol are 34mpg combined, the diesel coming in at 47mpg,

The 2.0 petrol will do 60 in just over 9 seconds, the diesel taking 11.5, but the diesel feels an awful lot quicker (thanks to 184 lb/ft torque from just 2000rpm, compared to 131 lb/ft at 4400rpm) It's fairly hard to justify paying €3500 more for the Diesel, as the Sol model will have aircon, 4 electric windows, fogs, alloys and more.

I'd go with the petrol

Are most 01 & 02 D4Ds not poverty spec terra models?

Id still go diesel and would even say the Petrol is overpriced at 6.5k.

It is D4D Terra. I know both owners. One is my aunt and the other is my friend. My aunt owns the SOL and I can safely say it probably never crossed 60mph whereas the D4D Terra probably never was under 60mph for more than 5 secs at a time. Is 10K a good deal for the D4D Terra? Is 6.5k overpriced for the SOL? I know for a fact that neither owner had much trouble with either car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is D4D Terra. I know both owners. One is my aunt and the other is my friend. My aunt owns the SOL and I can safely say it probably never crossed 60mph whereas the D4D Terra probably never was under 60mph for more than 5 secs at a time. Is 10K a good deal for the D4D Terra? Is 6.5k overpriced for the SOL? I know for a fact that neither owner had much trouble with either car.

Second hand 2.0 petrol Avensis are more difficult to sell due to the obviously more expensive running costs. I would say that a 6 year old one should be going for between €5k and €5.5k

The D4D is more expensive as it is diesel and is in more demand but €10k still sounds a bit expensive especially since it is the basic Terra model which has no sunroof or cd player, etc. You could probably buy the Aura model for the same money and that will have a cd player and sunroof or air con.

yeah but if you actually want a sol, it's difficult to find a nice one

I'm not too pushed on the extras to be honest. I just want a reliable car that won't give me too much trouble. So basically here is my question:

I have a choice of a 2 litre Avensis D4D Diesel (01) for 10k (70k miles) or 2 litre Avensis SOL Petrol (00) for 6.5k (55k miles). Neither have been crashed and neither have given the owner much trouble. I know both owners well so I know this to be true. The SOL was driven easier over the years though. Both have over a years NCT remaning.Taking running costs into account, which one sounds like the better value?

Should I just look somewhere else altogether? I have looked online (carzone.ie)and in the Autotrader but you are never fully sure if that car was clocked, crashed, given the owner trouble. What do you think?

how much mileage do you do?

Sorry for the late response. I would do about 15-20K per year.

• Advertisement

I would go for the 2.0 Sol. You'll never make back the difference in fuel savings, and you'll enjoy the comfort

colm_mcm wrote:
    I would go for the 2.0 Sol. You'll never make back the difference in fuel savings, and you'll enjoy the comfort

A 2.0 Diesel against a 2.0 Petrol, 20k a year? You will make it back alright!!

(Also factor in that the D4D will also be worth more when it is being sold on, e.g. maybe €1500 when the petrol will be impossible to sell....)

I find the D4D nicer to drive but is it worth the extra money? Is 10K a standard price?

I mean you're gonna spend €3500 extra on a car over three years (probably how long you keep the car?)

that's an extra €22 per week.

you're doing an average 385 miles per week.
    The 2.0 Petrol should average 35mpg, the Diesel getting 47mpg,
    or in other words the diesel using about 75% the amount of fuel the petrol engined avensis will.

in order to break even you need to be saving €22 per week on fuel. so €22 should be 25% or your weekly fuel bill on the petrol car, so unless you're gonna spend €88 per week on petrol,
    (€88 = roughly 20 gallons) (20 gallons @ 35mpg = 700miles per week) (700 miles per week = 36400 per year) and travel over even 30,000 per year (pull back figures to allow for possible poorer economy on the 2.0 petrol) it's not worth putting the extra €3,500 into a lower spec car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I know it's little to do with the Avensis, but I had a 00 Corolla and it was fine for two years. I see 88 Corollas going around all the time. Now I got a 02 Corolla and it's a heap of junk - The back windscreen shattered in the cold, the steering is spongy, there's a loud noise from the manifold and a serious loss of power so you can't overtake with confidence any more and the gear change is stiff and stutters constantly in 1st. Servicing didn't help. Maybe it's the way Toyota are making cars now.

Now I got a 02 Corolla and it's a heap of junk - The back windscreen shattered in the cold, the steering is spongy, there's a loud noise from the manifold and a serious loss of power so you can't overtake with confidence any more and the gear change is stiff and stutters constantly in 1st. Servicing didn't help.

maybe if the car was properly maintained by a dealer these problems wouldn't appear, i'm seeing corollas 6 days of the week, and they are ultra-reliable. servicing isn't exactly gonna fix a problem of a noise from the manifold or an ignition problem, sounds like the car's had a hard life before you got it

I would think you would want to be a very very easy driver to get 35mpg from a 2.0 Avensis.

10k sounds ok for the D4D. I would pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I know it's little to do with the Avensis, but I had a 00 Corolla and it was fine for two years. I see 88 Corollas going around all the time. Now I got a 02 Corolla and it's a heap of junk - The back windscreen shattered in the cold, the steering is spongy, there's a loud noise from the manifold and a serious loss of power so you can't overtake with confidence any more and the gear change is stiff and stutters constantly in 1st. Servicing didn't help. Maybe it's the way Toyota are making cars now.

Was the car crashed badly repaired as to the back window that what probaly caused by chip which filled with water froze expanded and cracked that could have been avoided with proper servicing.

maidhc wrote:
    I would think you would want to be a very very easy driver to get 35mpg from a 2.0 Avensis.

10k sounds ok for the D4D. I would pay it.
    even if you only got 25 mpg from the petrol, you still would be spending more on the diesel model.

and the diesel model is the very base spec, the petrol is top of the range

• Advertisement

Is 6.5K a standard price for a 00 2 litre Avensis SOL with the 55K mileage? It will have just passed the NCT if/when I buy it so will be valid for 2 more years

Advertisement