Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow likelyhood and winter weather indications thread (part 5)

Options

Comments

I think areas above 200m will see snow and the Dublin MTN's will be white come
    morning:)
    I would say even higher than that and 300m
    So around the three rock mast in Dublin and areas inland of that down to the sally and wicklow gap and maybe Glencree.
    South of that line any high ground again above 300m could see some, though those showers are very narrow so its not going to amount to much.
    That said though I notice that once you go more than 10 miles inland the temp is about 3 degrees lower and that certainly would tend the precip above 200m to snow.
    You would have to know why its 3 degrees lower to determine that though eg no wind(like we have here and Dublin has) or clear skies

Dublin airport temp is +4c now with a above 0 dew point.

Mind you there is a definite cold pool associated with that precip so ya never know.

Also though the temp is quite high here(too high for snow) at 5c-the dew point here has fallen below 0 again.
    That would support wet snow above a 1000ft I think particularally with a downdraft from the shower.ft or so

Anyhow I'm taking Beruthiels advice and heading off to the pub now.
    My relationship with the perpendicular might be a bit iffy later so lets hope theres no ice about...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

A light shower in Carlow town at the moment, seems to be little bits of sleet or ice pellets mixed in with it, its not pure rain anyway!

Last thought

Heres a pretty chart from the 12z FI
    If that blue/purple area exists at the end of the month then and if it maintained that course with a resurgemt hp in scandi then it would be cold.
    Real cold and not this twopence halfpenny cm or 2 of wet snow that some will get tonight.
    That chart if it progressed further would be freeze the shannon time :)

Be interesting to see if it does develop.

Rtavn3842.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's a nice chart to see allright... In fact, it's probably one of the best FI charts I've ever seen. I hate the date that's on it though:rolleyes:

Rain shower a little heavier here now, but still with little bits of sleet mixed in :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Light drizzle in Tullow! :(

Needless to say I'm still here and I'm amazed
    Sleet here at 5c - now that is rare and with a positive dewpoint.

By sleet I mean rain with wet flakes dropping.I'd imagine you'd not have to go too high for that to fall as wet snow, probably 600ft or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well hot looking showers kicking into the southeast while the precip in the Irish
    sea headed for Dublin area has stalled and intensified:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Thought I was going to have lowest max since 18th Feb 2003, but temp has now got back up to max of day at 4.6C. A few spots of drizzle. Certainly will not be any sleet here.

raining here now:)

Some ice in there though as it clatters the roof and tin items out the back

• Advertisement

Another rain shower kicking off here in Carlow town, but there is more sleet mixed in this time! :D:D

Heavy haily sleety stuff here

Wont take much for that to turn to snow as it heads inland and hits colder air

What tin items have you out the back wc?

Yeah, pretty sloppy heavy bits of sleet falling here, trying its best to snow! So close!! :D

Earthman wrote:
    What tin items have you out the back wc?

!! few buckets and that overhead heater thing and that thing you put your
    christmas tree in!! maybe not tin but metal

!! few buckets and that overhead heater thing and that thing you put your
    christmas tree in!! maybe not tin but metal
    Oh i thought you should go out and tidy up and all...

Croppy boy, theres a heavier blob that I've had here for a half hour heading your way and theres another one heading straight for mothman that should stay north of here

I'm watching them on the Met Office radar, should be an interesting (and late) night :D

very pecuilar set-up! showers coming from the south-southeast and hoping
    for them to be of snow:o :D

Just seems like its meant to be the other way round!
    I suppose it has been through much of my weather watching life!
    I havent seen such a scenario like this ever

Ah when you get as old as my self and mothman you will have seen a lot of things :D

Still sleeting here
    Dunno whether to call it sleet now or wet hail

radara23304yi.png

• Advertisement

heh wind is from the south west now,it might bring some cold air :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Earthman wrote:

and theres another one heading straight for mothman that should stay north of here

Yes a bit heavier now. Temp still 4.5C.
    Ah when you get as old as my self and mothman you will have seen a lot of things
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

Dewpoint well above zero here and temp 4.2c so not really ski-ing weather.
    I'd imagine its very snowy on croghan right now but I shall not be going up there on this occasion.

I notice the FI 18z is not as nice to cold lovers this evening...

Still sleeting away here.......

rain and just rain here

ah well gud niterrrrrrrroooooooooooooniiiiiiiiiii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1.6c here. Cloudy, but I can see moonlight to my west.

No precip as of yet.

Jeez and it still continues to sleet here, where's the snow?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

as usually it just rain, raining quite heavy outside and quite mild, more chance of it snowing in the costa del sol or the middle east than in Ireland these days, i gave up this is a snowless kingdom unless you live at the peak of a mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Temps falling - were 1.9c a while ago, now 1.7.

Cloudy overhead.

Still dry, although looks like fog/haze around.

• Advertisement

After a few hours of sleet...then rain...then sleet the cloud cover seems to be lightening up and breaking, still its spitting bits of sleet :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement