Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2006 Ryder Cup set for RTÉ

• 29-12-2005 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

6.1 news had it that some minister dude is looking at what events should be shown 'free to air' :rolleyes: and is going to look at the 2006 Ryder Cup. So it probably will be on RTÉ cause we all know that ministers don't do nothin for nothin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Minister for Communications Noel Dempsey is looking into adding it to the free to air list, and too right too, the people of Ireland shouldn't have to pay through the nose to see something going on in their own country, especially as at least half of the tickets will be taken by non irish spectators(nothing wrong with that, just reduces the amount of irish people that can go).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the people of Ireland shouldn't have to pay through the nose to see something going on in their own country

what a load of bull****

if RTÉ want to show an event then they should have bid for the rights instead of depending on the government

Mossy Monk wrote:
    what a load of bull****

if RTÉ want to show an event then they should have bid for the rights instead of depending on the government
    it's not bull****, its the same all over the Eu, its why ITV or BBC will carry the FA cup final and such.
    more irish people than can be accomodated want to see it, being its an irish event, the irish people(because we are the governments boss, technically) can demand to see it. its not for RTE it's for the people.
    if this legislation wasn't there you'd need sky sports to see any sport that regularly attracts 100,000 viewers, you'd see no Gaelic no soccer nothing. it would all go to the highest bidder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

The current list is;

The Summer Olympics

The All-Ireland Senior Inter-County Football and Hurling Finals

Ireland’s home and away qualifying games in the European Football Championship and the FIFA World Cup Tournaments

Ireland’s games in the European Football Championship Finals Tournament and the FIFA World Cup Finals Tournament

The opening games, the semi-finals and final of the European Football Championship Finals and the FIFA World Cup Finals Tournament

Ireland’s games in the Rugby World Cup Finals Tournament

The Irish Grand National and the Irish Derby

The Nations Cup at the Dublin Horse Show

and Home Six Nations games.

Apparently this list is reviewed every 3 years and the last one was in 2003

http://www.dcmnr.gov.ie/Broadcasting/Designation+of+sporting+events.htm

Be amazed if the Ryder Cup makes it - why is it suddenly of "national interest" ? If memory serves me correctly this event has been going for quite a while.

Now Ireland in the Cricket World cup in 2007 is a more worthy contender :D

• Advertisement

Daveirl wrote:
    Not a hope in hell of that happening. It's not like the All Ireland final it could hardly be considered a national event.

you're missing the point, it's important this time around becuase for the first time in it's history, IRELAND will be hosting the event,it is a national event, because it will impact the country heavily, it's golfs equivalant of the olympics.according to the reporter on rte there's hardly a hotel room to be had in the country next autumn because of it.

Sorry, I don't think I'm missing the point at all.

Why does a sporting event become a "national interest" just before we are holding it :confused:

Didn't see the plowing championships nor the World fly-fishing championships added to the list?

cgf wrote:
    Sorry, I don't think I'm missing the point at all.

Why does a sporting event become a "national interest" just before we are holding it :confused:

Didn't see the plowing championships nor the World fly-fishing championships added to the list?
    because ireland has the most golf courses per head than any other european country, it's a massive sport in ireland, simply because you are not interested doesn't make it unimportant. i have no interest in cricket, but i wouldn't object to it being on rte if it's world cup was held in ireland.

JR,

Not sure where you have formulated your opinions from. I actually play golf and have followed the Ryder Cup for many's a year. Golf is indeed a popular game in Ireland and a very social one but I still don't see why the Ryder Cup should be designated of national importance :confused:

Obviously we'll have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

• Advertisement

cgf wrote:
    JR,

Not sure where you have formulated your opinions from. I actually play golf and have followed the Ryder Cup for many's a year. Golf is indeed a popular game in Ireland and a very social one but I still don't see why the Ryder Cup should be designated of national importance :confused:

Think so man, anyway, have you tickets for it.

No such luck - but who knows.....

cgf wrote:
    No such luck - but who knows.....
    same as meself so, raging i didn't enter for the tickets, will be entering every comp that has them for offer.

i wonder will BBC Scotland campaign for it too seeing as they invented the sport, that would be nice seeing as it has a huge historical imortance with Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

The first time I ever saw the Special Olympics opening ceromony on RTE was when Ireland hosted it. Maybe this is why they want the Ryder Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

cgf wrote:
    JR,
    Golf is indeed a popular game in Ireland and a very social one but I still don't see why the Ryder Cup should be designated of national importance :confused:

No I don't think you'll have to agree to disagree. If you don't see why this competition is of national importance to Ireland, then there must be something seriously wrong with you. It's one of the biggest competitions and it's in Ireland. How is it not of National importance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

I would think alot of Irish tax payers money is been spent on security etc. so I don't think its unreasonably to look for it to be shown free to air here in Ireland.

Skitbra wrote:
    No I don't think you'll have to agree to disagree. If you don't see why this competition is of national importance to Ireland, then there must be something seriously wrong with you. It's one of the biggest competitions and it's in Ireland. How is it not of National importance?

Very simple -

na·tion·al Audio pronunciation of "national" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nsh-nl, nshnl)
    adj.

1. Of, relating to, or belonging to a nation as an organized whole: a national anthem.
    2. Of or relating to nationality: their national origin.
    3. Characteristic of or peculiar to the people of a nation: a national trait.
    4. Of or maintained by the government of a nation: a national landmark.
    5. Being in the interest of one's own nation: Isolationism is a strictly national policy.
    6. Devoted to one's own nation or its interests; patriotic.

n.

1. A citizen of a particular nation. See Synonyms at citizen.
    2. A contest or tournament involving participants from all parts of a nation. Often used in the plural.

im·por·tance Audio pronunciation of "importance" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-pôrtns)
    n.

1. The quality or condition of being important; significance.
    2. Personal status; standing.
    3. Obsolete. An important matter.
    4. Obsolete. Meaning; import.
    5. Obsolete. Importunity.

Don't think the Ryder Cup fits either, particulary the National bit.

And no, I am quite heathly and sane but thanks for the concern. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'd love it if the ryder cup and the Cricket world cup were shown on free to air tv....i just can't see it happening but we can live and hope

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Sorry cgf - "Being in the interest of one's own nation" is hardly irrelevant to the Ryder Cup.
    It may appear insignificant now - but it's going to be a huge event in 2007, consuming vast amounts of Irish resources, Irish produce and Irish taxpayer's hard cash.
    The notion that it is not an event of national importance is ludicrous - it will form the start, middle and end of every conversation on this island for weeks on end in the summer of 2007, with huge interest amongst Irish citizens as to the proceedings and outcome of the tournament.
    Whether or not golf is currently of interest to most people is irrelevant - for once forward planning is being actively pursued by Minister Dempsey to cater for the massive public interest that will turn to this event come 2007.

Very rightly should it be shown on free-to-air Irish television.
    The Broadcasting (Major Events Television Coverage) Act also does not just designate sporting events - (rather appropriately given the current time of year) in Austria the New Year's Day (Neujahrskonzert) Concert by the Viennese Philharmonic Orchestra is protected by the Act (allbeit most certainly an event of 'national importance').

In any case, 'national importance' is not mentioned in the Act - rather:

" "event" means an event of interest to the general public"

...as stated in the Act. Furthermore:

2.—(1) The Minister may by order—

(a) designate events as events of major importance to society for which the right of a qualifying broadcaster to provide coverage on free television services should be provided in the public interest, and

(b) determine whether coverage on free television services of an event designated under paragraph (a) should be available—

(i) on a live, deferred or both live and deferred basis, and
    (ii) in whole, in part or both in whole and in part.
    (2) The Minister shall have regard to all the circumstances and in particular each of the following criteria in making a designation under subsection (1)(a):

(a) the extent to which the event has a special general resonance for the people of Ireland;

(b) the extent to which the event has a generally recognised distinct cultural importance for the people of Ireland.

(3) In order to determine the extent to which the criteria in subsection (2) have been met, the following factors may be taken into account by the Minister:

(a) whether the event involves participation by a national or non-national team or by Irish persons;

(b) past practice or experience with regard to television coverage of the event or similar events.

(4) The Minister shall consider the following in making the determination under subsection (1)(b):

(a) the nature of the event;

(b) the time within the State at which the event takes place;

(c) practical broadcasting considerations.

(5) The Minister may by order revoke or amend an order under this section.

(6) The Minister shall consult with the Minister for Tourism, Sport and Recreation before making, revoking or amending an order under this section.

(7) Where it is proposed to make, revoke or amend an order under this section, a draft of the order shall be laid before each House of the Oireachtas and the order shall not be made until a resolution approving the draft has been passed by each House.

Ends

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    it's going to be a huge event in 2007

so much so that you dont know what year it is going to be held

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Neh, when will it be! What is it, i gather golf.. neh I'm not into golf really!
    Is it like the all ireland final of golf or something? I dunno I guess RTE gets the GAA all ireland.. but the farmers do watch that.. its not like golfers have fans!! haha, but would be funny! This act seems kinda stupid, its basically the government making sure that big shows with many viewers will broadcast our their channel?!? Where did wanting competition go, its the same with BUPA!!!! neh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Wait.. Irish Taxpayers money is going to fund this??? Is there no way another country can hold the event?!?!
    Heh, i thought golfs world cup was on during the summer.. like a few weeks back i remember hearing about it on the news!
    I dunno, RTÉ shouldnt get this ... whose gonna watch it! Only really the opening and closing cerimonies... RTÉ will only end up showing highlights like they did for the special oylimpics.. they arent a sports channel, let Setanta or Sky or someone get it! Someone we dont have to watch and is dedicated to sport anyway!!!

2007 - an embarrassing error indeed.
    This act seems kinda stupid, its basically the government making sure that big shows with many viewers will broadcast our their channel?!? Where did wanting competition go, its the same with BUPA!!!! neh

Since when has RTÉ been the Government's channel? - the 1970s last time I checked as far as telephone calls from Merrion St are concerned.
    And who says it has to go to RTÉ - entirely possible that TV3 could pitch for it, that's if they'd be bothered to get up off their arses and attempt to serve the public for once :eek: (then again golf would fit it nicely with their mind-numbing schedules :D).

Tax payer's money will fund the event at least insofar as security and services are concerned - then again we are set to make a fortune from the visitors too.
    And how exactly is competetition being aided by placing the rights to the tournament in the hands of a foreign, private broadcaster, who's subscribers pay upwards of €60 a month for its services, and who have access to but less than a third of households in Ireland?

Boosting RTÉ is not the issue - providing a major event to the Irish public on their television sets free of charge is.

Why not?

because in an open market place Sky bought the rights. why werent RTÉ, TV3 or TG4 bidding then? the government should keep their noses out of what doesnt concern them

Whereas I acknowledge the importance of the private sector as part of a 'mixed model' of public and private broadcasting, and the role Sky plays in this (allbeit to the current detriment of digital television in Ireland), the 'open market' is not the End-all of serving the public.

This issue arose before surrounding the rights to a match that Min Ahern got overturned.
    Certainly efforts should have been made if possible to introduce a free-to-air ruling before any Ryder rights were signed, but this ought not prevent efforts from going ahead now.
    Again this is not a case of gilding the schedules of Irish broadcasters to the detriment of Sky - it is about providing an event of major public interest free-to-air. It could be the case that only the opening day and final/closing days be FTA - there are many options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Looks like we're gonna find out later this week if RTÉ gets the Ryder Cup.
    Ryder Cup organisers are facing a war on two fronts just six months before the event in due to take place for the first time in Ireland.

The Irish Government is threatening to add the event to its list of sporting 'Crown Jewels' by allowing coverage by a terrestrial broadcaster despite the fact that Sky hold the exclusive rights.

And a row between management and greenkeepers at the K Club is set to go to the Labour Relations Agency.

Trade Union Amicus, which represents the greenkeepers, says cost of living increases were withheld last year.

The television rights row is set to escalate this week if the Irish government decides to force Sky to share coverage.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is keen to allow either RTE or rival company TV3 rights to televise the event.

The government has been in consultation with the PGA and BSkyB over the television rights and will this week decide whether or not to press ahead with plans to make the rights available to the terrestrial companies.

The European Tour is completely against the plan as the lucrative rights deal to the Ryder Cup, was agreed as far back 1997.

Chief executive George O'Grady says forcing Sky out of the picture would have disastrous financial implications for the Tour.

He said it would call into question the Tour's ability to enter into future contract negotiations.

He also said going back on the Sky deal would be disastrous for Ireland's sporting image.

A European Tour spokesman said they were "surprised and disappointed" by the plan but that they had every confidence the government would reach the correct decision.

Meanwhile Padraig Harrington says he is in great shape as he prepares to defend the Honda Classic title he won so thrillingly at Mirasol in Florida last year.

The Irishman finished 11 shots behind winner Tiger Woods at the Ford championship at Doral on Sunday but says he is more than happy with the way he is playing.

World number two Vijay Singh has announced he may pull out of the Bay Hill Invitational for the first time in 11 years.

The Fijian says ideally he needs a couple of weeks off to prepare for next month's Masters in Augusta.

Advertisement