Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Stability of MCE

• 29-12-2005 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

I was in PC World today. Decided to pick up the remote and play after hearing so much about it.

The Advent chassis was not connected to an aerial [as evident when I choise tv] not was it connected to a network [no listing were available].

So, I took a look at samples in My Pictures. The system threw a fuss and said it needed to be rebooted. I also noted Paint had loaded.

So I ask -- just how stable is MCE? I'm only assuming that this happened as it was on display to the customers and had probably had every sort of thing done to it since being taken out of its box.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

To be honest its fine
    A bit of a memory hog but generally its good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The OS is generally OK. As above, bit of a RAM eater, 512 is the minimum usable, 1GB ideal.

If its the advent PC that looks somewhat like a DVD recorder, avoid if you can, They have serious thermal issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

It was that popular Advent model -- that explains it.

I was thinking Microsoft wouldn't get away with flogging out something buggy like that [like the XBox 360...]. Seems to be great take-up in the US.

Is it true that MCE will be streamlined into Vista? XP does a grand job at handling digital media. Just as well my tv capture device is MCE compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Is it true that MCE will be streamlined into Vista?

Well there is going to be quite a few versions of vista apparently, like 5 or 6. Im sure it will be included with some of them anyway.

The MCE application can be installed with windows 2003 server with some trickery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ethernet wrote:
    Is it true that MCE will be streamlined into Vista?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista It is rumoured that Windows Vista will ship in nine editions; all of which except for Starter Edition will be in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
    so assuming that 32 and 64 will be separate like XP then there will be 17 different CD's not including OEM/retail/upgrade/corporate

But wait - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_%22Longhorn%22
    will come in server / enterprise / datacentre etc.

so the same basic software will be sold in umteen different versions that differ mostly by missing files and registry settings and license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

My, Microsoft are so consumer-friendly.

They don't produce an OS for about five years after XP with endless patches and two SPs, now they'll make up for it with endless versions of essentially the same bug-laden software.

I hope Melinda Gates talks some sense into Bill!

Advertisement