Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband / Eircom wireless router

• 29-12-2005 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Can't find an answer on this one on the search so does anyone know if you can use the eircom supplied wireless router ( netopia model ) with the NTL cable modem to create a wireless net.

I currently have eircom but im switching to NTL in january, just wondering if I can get the two modems to work together - the modem is pretty locked down with eircom firmware though...

just wondering has anyone done this...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

If the Eircon router has an ethernet port it will work. If it's a phone port only it wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

it has a phone connection for dsl and 4 ethernet ports to connect wired...

just wondering could you connect the ntl modem to one of these ports...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I've never tried. I think it should work. Make sure to turn of NATing on the Eircon router though.

I'll give it a go in jan and let you know how it goes...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can't find an answer on this one on the search so does anyone know if you can use the eircom supplied wireless router ( netopia model ) with the NTL cable modem to create a wireless net.

I currently have eircom but im switching to NTL in january, just wondering if I can get the two modems to work together - the modem is pretty locked down with eircom firmware though...

just wondering has anyone done this...

This issue has been raised before on boards so it might be worth a search but I dont recall anyone posting that they had managed to do it successfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

It wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Why dont you ask NTL for a wireless router. I got Ntl before Christmas and got a Netgear 54mbps 802.11 g router supplied free by NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

i thought you have to give the eircom router back when you are ending the contract??? i thought it was free rental sort of thing? other wise its about 145euro to buy. am i wrong on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

NTL isn't ADSL....Eircom is...wont work...

kinda suspect it might not work alright since its a modem/router

i might just ask NTL. A guy at work asked the engineer at install and he gave him a wireless model he had in the van...

• Advertisement
Advertisement