Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best David Bowie Song

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The Bewlay Brothers or Station To Station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The best never-recordeded bowie track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Relikk

Such a tough choice but I'd have to go for Teenage Wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Five Years

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Well I know for a fact that if HE had to pick a favorite track it would be Rebel Rebel ...

One of my favorites not mentioned here is Win from the Young Americans album. The Buddha of Suburbia album seemed to slip under a lot of peoples radars but I honestly think it's one of his best - superior to almost everything since Scary Monsters Super Creeps ... and some of the live bootleg stuff just blows the official live stuff into tiny little pieces ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Aaah, the old "best since Scary Monters" quip.

It always rears its head. ;)

poundhound wrote: »
    Aaah, the old "best since Scary Monters" quip.

It always rears its head. ;)

Well I'm old and somewhat slightly dazed ... that's not to say that I haven't enjoyed his albums since that ... I just happen to think theat BoS sits nicely in there with Low, Heroes and Scary Monsters ... Lodger seems somewhat disjointed to me ... could never really see how it was part of the Berlin triology ... chronologically yes but content ? ... more akin to Never Let Me Down ... with the exception of a few stand out tracks ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Absolute Beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Always liked This Is Not America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

@ Ugsparky, interesting thoughts on Lodger.
    Can't see the link with NLMD, I've always thought of Lodger as an album of songs possibly written for Low and/ or "Heroes" but didn't fit the style of either. Therefore compiled as an album in itself.
    Despite some individual gems, it's not generally highly regarded, although he seems to rate it himself.
    +1 for "Buddha of Surburbia", I'd also throw "Strangers when we meet" in there. Beautiful song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Just getting acquainted with his Diamond Dogs album, really liking Big Brother.

Outside of that, Station to Station. A true classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Rebel rebel or ashes to ashes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

At the moment, I would pick "This is Not America" as my favourite David Bowie song. Strictly speaking of course, it is a joint venture with The Pat Methany Band. I just find the atmosphere and sound of the song haunting... it passes the goosebumps test!

However, on another day I could quite easily go for a different song. So honourable mentions should be given to:
    -Jean Jeanie... check out the live version he did on Top of The Pops (pure class)
    -Fame
    -Loving The Alien
    -Criminal World, from the Let's Dance album (I just love the guitars on that song)

poundhound wrote: »
    @ Ugsparky, interesting thoughts on Lodger.
    Can't see the link with NLMD, I've always thought of Lodger as an album of songs possibly written for Low and/ or "Heroes" but didn't fit the style of either. Therefore compiled as an album in itself.
    Despite some individual gems, it's not generally highly regarded, although he seems to rate it himself.
    +1 for "Buddha of Surburbia", I'd also throw "Strangers when we meet" in there. Beautiful song.

Just that my perception of NLMD was that it was made to fulfill contractual obligations rather than as a labour of love. The material on it seemed to be a mish mash of ideas rather than a coherent effort compared to Lets Dance or even Tonight (another album I believe he has stated as being made out of contractual obligation). Likewise I think Lodger was a mish mash of ideas - some worked, some were dreadful, some where revamped ideas from the past or reworked songs written for other people - but not made with the same purpose or intensity of either Low, Heroes or Scary Monsters ... each of those albums exploring ideas but within a percieved set of parameters (at least that's how it seems to me - am I being too arse - y in my thinking ?). I think if you sat down and listened to all of Bowie's work and were asked to put them in chronological order you could probably correctly identify the time scale up to say Heroes ... after that I think it would be interesting ... might try that later :)

Advertisement