Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Sound question

• 29-12-2005 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Im using windows XP. Strange one really, when I login/startup XP, my sound/speakers wont work. But if I restart the operating system it works instantly and perfectly!

any input would be appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Do you have a soundcard like the Soundblaster live or a built-in one on your motherboard? Also, just check if you have if you have changed any sound card utilities settings recently?

What differences do you mean by "login/startup XP" (you mean by simply logging out and not shutting down?) and "But if I restart the operating system" (Warm reboot) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

When I turn on PC and go into XP –> No sound

If I turn it off and turn it back on again –> Still No sound

However, if I go to START – TURN OFF COMPUTER – RESTART -> I get sound

Its not the speakers anyway, I know that for sure.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Open Device Manager (Start - run - devmgmt.msc)
    Expand Sound,Video and Game Controllers
    Right-click on the card name (the driver)
    Uninstall
    Reboot.
    Test.

If that still doesn't do it:
    Disable startup items,tbh.
    (Start - run - msconfig -6 -> Disable all)
    Reboot and test

Karoma wrote:
    Open Device Manager (Start - run - devmgmt.msc)
    Expand Sound,Video and Game Controllers
    Right-click on the card name (the driver)
    Uninstall
    Reboot.
    Test.

If that still doesn't do it:
    Disable startup items,tbh.
    (Start - run - msconfig -6 -> Disable all)
    Reboot and test

tried all this lads. It still has a mind of its own. It will work sometimes, other times it wont. The only I can get sound if it doesnt work is by going to the start menu and selecting Restart. When Xp restarts, I get the windows Xp jingle...which means sound is working. :confused::confused::confused:

I hope this doesnt mean a new sound card! Ive never came across such a prob before

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is some program turning off the sound ?

does it work in safe mode ?

have you reset the BIOS - turn sound off and then on again

Advertisement