Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGP 2x - 8x question

Options
  • 30-12-2005 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 4 yr old Athlon 1000 system with an AGP2x 32MB TNT 2 card.
    I was moaning lately that the machine isn't up to today's games and for my sins was given an AGP 8x 256MB GeForce 5200 for Xmas.

Does anyone know what will happen if I try to insall this card? As far as I can see in the web, it isn't a great card anyway, but should it work, or am I wasting my time trying?

Cheers
    Ger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry, but a waste of time.

The 5200 is a bad card - but unfortunately it's too good for such an ancient system! Never mind the new games - that 1000 system won't run anything remotely new at all, no matter what card you stick into it.

The 32mb tnt2 is actually grand for an Athlon 1000 - you could, pick up a slightly better card that won't be wasted on your spec like a Geforce 4 or similar, but if you want to play anything remotely modern, you'll need an entirely new pc.

Also, hope you didn't pay too much for that 5200 - they are only worth about 30 quid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Would that card not work ?
    I used to have a TNT card also and later on in that computers life i had an Geforce2 pro in it and it worked fine. I would think his new Geforce 5200 will work in his old system as long as the motherboard and video card are both AGP or PCI " what ever his got ".

But i dont think there will be a big differince in proformance if it works, and you will need a new computer to play todays games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Oh yes, It will work - it's just a waste of time as even a 5200 is too good for the likes of a Athlon 1000 system. Whatever games actually work on that slow a processor aren't going to benefit from a card that powerful.

As said before, you need a new pc if you want to play any games made in the last 2 years, let alone new releases.

Also if you have that old an computer, the psu might not be powerful enough to support a 5200 comfortabely.

But on a basic level yes, there is no reason really apart from the psu issue why it shouldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

Thanks guys, the card didn't cost me anything - was a gift, so no hassle there. I had been thinking of sticking in a cheap 64MB, but if it could work, I might give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

its a really slow card ,get at least a 9800pro ,theres usually fast agp card for sale on boards.ie forum,computer hardware ,if u check every 2 days. even the geoforce4 64meg card agp is much faster than the 5200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

ok, good tip, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

to play most games released in last 2 years u need at least,2.oghz cpu p4 or amd,256meg ram,64meg agp grahics card.jaguar pcs dublin are selling basic pcs 3.oghz 375euro excluding vat,without pc monitor, a fast grafics card in ur old pc wont make much difference cos cpu is only 1gigahertz. do google.ie search jaguar pcs dublin.i wud not buy any pc now less than 2.4ghz cpu ,i dont think jaguar sell amdpcs, only pentium 4 ,u have to install your own os,win98,or winxp,needed for modern games.

Advertisement