Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel of time - Help needed.

Options
  • 30-12-2005 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I swore I would never get another Wheel of Time book but it being Christmas and all I caved in and bought book 11 "The knife of Dreams".

Needless to say it has been so long since I read the previous books that I am completely lost. I googled around but most of the fansites I found haven't been updated in years. I desperately need

a. Plot summaries of the previous novels.
    b. A cast of characters telling me whos who.
    c. A decent glossary of WOT gibberish.

Anyone know any good WOT reference sites that were updated this century?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I was the same way, but after reading a hundred or so pages I started to remember more about what was going on (although I hadn't read book 10), then after another 50 or so pages I threw it away in disgust.

never again! Robert Jordan's gotten enough of my money. the www.wheeloftime.com forum might help, or www.dragonmount.com might have what you're looking for... prob more so than the wot.com forum.

(edit)

well, there we go
    http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Knife_of_Dreams/DM_WoT_Recap.pdf

wot recap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

For some reason the only thing I had forgotten when I read it again was the names of the whitecloaks, but I still can't remember anything to do with Shannara, which is far simpler. Funny world isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I'v been the same for the last 3 books. Ended up just re starting the whole series each time one came out but when I got Knife of Dreams I was like, "Fcuk that if I'm restarting it again!" and just kindaplowed into it. Got so lost at parts but finished it there last week with a fair idea of whats going on. Think I might just leave it a year or 2 before getting the last one when its out and just do the whole complete thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I actually enjoyed Knife of Dreams. Haven't liked a Jordan book since Lord of Chaos, but things actually happened in KoD, some people actually died, and he's starting to wrap up plot threads a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Well I couldn't face starting again so I've just dived into "Knife of Dreams". I'm about half way through and its actually quite good. It doesn't feel like the series is approaching a conclusion but I am delighted to report that Jordan HAsN'T INTRODUCED ANY NEW CHARACTERS and HASN'T STARTEd ANY NEW THREADS, Whoopee. Best news of all is that the 12th book, working title "A Memory of Light" is flagged as being the CCONCLUSION OF THE SERIES.

Sorry about all the shouting but this f*cker has given me so much entertainment and frustration in equal measures that I will dance for joy the day that the final book in the series hits the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Yea he was contracted for 12 books years ago appearently so the next one is the last. I found not too much happened in Knife of Dreams nutill the last couple ofhundred pages then, wham! All over the place! Made up for the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

moridin wrote:
    I actually enjoyed Knife of Dreams. Haven't liked a Jordan book since Lord of Chaos, but things actually happened in KoD, some people actually died, and he's starting to wrap up plot threads a little.

Same here, 'twas actually a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

!_Brian_! wrote:
    I'v been the same for the last 3 books. Ended up just re starting the whole series each time one came out but when I got Knife of Dreams I was like, "Fcuk that if I'm restarting it again!" and just kindaplowed into it. Got so lost at parts but finished it there last week with a fair idea of whats going on. Think I might just leave it a year or 2 before getting the last one when its out and just do the whole complete thing.

That's exactly what I did this time too, and ended up skimming through book 10 to refresh my mind rather than miss anything. I love the whole WoT series, and feel that if when the whole series is available in its entirety it will become a lot more readable than at present. It is certainly epic in its scope and I understand some people get fed up with all the subplots etc, but its all part of the magic for me ;)

It's not that people got fed up of the subplots as such, well, I know I didn't. My problems with the series are:

1) At the beginning of the series it was rare to see the One Power channeled. Everyone was so weak, including Moraine, who instead of slaughtering hundreds of trollocs instead chose to run with Rand, Mat & Perrin. Because of the general lack of power, the storyline was quite well planned and didn't rely on big bangs and explosions.

2) Leading on from point 1, the storys took place over months. Compare this to book 9(?) which takes place over 1 day and bugger all actually happens.

3) Jordan has a dreadful habit of writing about how his characters tug their braids. All the time. They must have the strongest scalps in history.

4) Yes, I like subplots, politics, machinations etc... but they should either go on for a long time; revealing little hints of answers in each book that make you want to go back and re-read the previous books so that you can use your new knowledge to piece together a better picture of what's gone before; or shouldn't go on forever and ever but should instead bring some real action/conclusion to a subplot. Look at the writing of Stephen Erikson for an example of the former, and George RR Martin for an example of the latter.

Hmmm.
    Firstly, I will say that I agree that books 7 - 9 are slower than the previous and that possibly too much time is taken up with character building and sub plots (they are there), book 10 is the least good of the series so far, in my opinion. To answer your points;

1) The story starts from the point of view of three country lads who knew little or nothing about the one power. Moraine, who was one of the strongest wielders of saidar at that time, chose to run rather than fight and risk losing the only chance the world had of winning Tarmon Gaidon. It becomes clear later on, that many talents had been lost over the years, and Aes Sedai were far weaker than in the past. All that was to change.

2) It was more than a day afair. The cleansing of saidin was a gigantic event surely? The arrival of the daughter of the nine moons and the seanchan subplots as well as the treatment of Faile by the Aiel were all very interesting, as was the intricities of the Aes Sedai, both in the tower, and in the rebel camp.

3) Nynaeve is the braid puller, it signifies she is getting annoyed, and the harder she pulls, the more angry she is. She does a lot, its true, but shes only one character. His portrayal of women, and Nynaeve in particular, shows quite good insight into the female thought processes ;)

4) Yes I agree, Jordan instead brings even more subplots into the picture, which does muddy the waters a little.

However, I stand by my original point, when the entire series is finished, it should be more appealing. Its the waiting for the next one thats the killer :D

I've read some of George RR Martins work, the song of ice and fire was great, which others do you recommend?

I haven't read any Stephen Erikson, which one should I start with?

Bought myself a stack of books a month ago, still have to get through;

A Feast of Crows - the bould george again
    Honoured Enemy - Feist
    Swords of Night & Day & Winter Warriors - Gemmell
    Assassins Apprentice - Robin Hobb

I've also read all the Hickman/Weis Dragonlance books, loved them too.

• Advertisement

Lanfear wrote:

1) The story starts from the point of view of three country lads who knew little or nothing about the one power. Moraine, who was one of the strongest wielders of saidar at that time, chose to run rather than fight and risk losing the only chance the world had of winning Tarmon Gaidon. It becomes clear later on, that many talents had been lost over the years, and Aes Sedai were far weaker than in the past. All that was to change.

The problem being that when that change came about, Jordan lost a lot of the edge and the tension that the early books had. The hunted became the hunter, and the Forsaken were made out to be nothing special really. These were the best of the darkfriends who went to join the Dark One in a time where Aes Sedai were at their most powerful - and they fail to live up to the hype.
    Lanfear wrote:
    2) It was more than a day afair. The cleansing of saidin was a gigantic event surely? The arrival of the daughter of the nine moons and the seanchan subplots as well as the treatment of Faile by the Aiel were all very interesting, as was the intricities of the Aes Sedai, both in the tower, and in the rebel camp.

Didn't the events where Rand was in some town where he couldn't draw his sword take place over one day? (I really can't remember the specific name of the place). Yes, the cleansing of saidin was a big event, however the only reason it was actually of any interest was due to it having being built up so much in the preceeding books. The event itself was a little underwhealming I thought.
    3) Nynaeve is the braid puller, it signifies she is getting annoyed, and the harder she pulls, the more angry she is. She does a lot, its true, but shes only one character. His portrayal of women, and Nynaeve in particular, shows quite good insight into the female thought processes ;)

Oh I know that, but it's not only Nynaeve who does it. Egwene does it too. And Elayne even does it from time to time, as well as her cursing. Yes, it shows how the characters inner thoughts are coming out in actions, but there's too much made of it, it's very repetitive... granted, it's funny to have an image of a woman yanking chunks of her hair out with frustration but at the rate they go they should have no hair left at all.
    I've read some of George RR Martins work, the song of ice and fire was great, which others do you recommend?

Ice & Fire, in particular, is fantastic - not just from a storyline point of view, but the mixing in of lots of characters and telling the story from lots of different viewpoints shows good writing. Plus he's a bloodthirsty bastard who isn't afraid to maim/kill/blind a character who you've been following from the start of the book 1.
    I haven't read any Stephen Erikson, which one should I start with?

Gardens of the Moon is his first fantasy book - it's all the one series, and quite confusing to start off with in terms of how his world works - it mixes gods and magic and morals becoming gods in a very interesting way. Every book of his I read makes me re-read the previous books as every new book gives you more insight into the ones he's written before.
    amazon.com wrote:
    This is not a book for the casual reader. If you tend to read a chapter or so every few weeks, don't bother. You're bound to get confused. There're just too many characters, too many deviations, too many goings-on. This is one of those books that demands your attention.

Check out http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0553812173/reviews/202-2005587-2364638

moridin wrote:
    The problem being that when that change came about, Jordan lost a lot of the edge and the tension that the early books had. The hunted became the hunter, and the Forsaken were made out to be nothing special really. These were the best of the darkfriends who went to join the Dark One in a time where Aes Sedai were at their most powerful - and they fail to live up to the hype.

Forsaken? Don't you mean the Chosen ;) I don't agree that they were made out to be nothing special - it took either Rand or Balefire to kill most of those who died, as they were too powerful for most others. The descriptions of Semirhage and her hobbies were surely gruesome enough?
    moridin wrote:
    Didn't the events where Rand was in some town where he couldn't draw his sword take place over one day? (I really can't remember the specific name of the place). Yes, the cleansing of saidin was a big event, however the only reason it was actually of any interest was due to it having being built up so much in the preceeding books. The event itself was a little underwhealming I thought.

The very end could have been better it's true, but everyone on the planet who could draw saidin or saidar knew something big was happening!
    moridin wrote:
    Oh I know that, but it's not only Nynaeve who does it. Egwene does it too. And Elayne even does it from time to time, as well as her cursing. Yes, it shows how the characters inner thoughts are coming out in actions, but there's too much made of it, it's very repetitive... granted, it's funny to have an image of a woman yanking chunks of her hair out with frustration but at the rate they go they should have no hair left at all.

It didn't really irritate me, brought a smile to my lips most of the time, maybe its a case that when you fix on something, its every mention leaps out at you.......
    moridin wrote:
    Ice & Fire, in particular, is fantastic - not just from a storyline point of view, but the mixing in of lots of characters and telling the story from lots of different viewpoints shows good writing. Plus he's a bloodthirsty bastard who isn't afraid to maim/kill/blind a character who you've been following from the start of the book 1.

Yes, thats very true, it brings out an emotional reaction alright - you are nearly afraid to turn the page :) I haven't started Feast for Crows yet so don't tell me anything more :eek: I'm halfway through the swords of night and day so its next on the list.
    moridin wrote:
    Gardens of the Moon is his first fantasy book - it's all the one series, and quite confusing to start off with in terms of how his world works - it mixes gods and magic and morals becoming gods in a very interesting way. Every book of his I read makes me re-read the previous books as every new book gives you more insight into the ones he's written before.

Sounds interesting and the review has whetted my appetite - have put it on order :)
    moridin wrote:
    Originally Posted by amazon.com
    This is not a book for the casual reader. If you tend to read a chapter or so every few weeks, don't bother. You're bound to get confused. There're just too many characters, too many deviations, too many goings-on. This is one of those books that demands your attention.
    Check out http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0553812173/reviews/202-2005587-2364638

Luckily I am a voracious reader and would be even more so if work and life didn't keep interfering. I get at least an hour a day in, more when I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

Lanfear wrote:
    Forsaken? Don't you mean the Chosen ;) I don't agree that they were made out to be nothing special - it took either Rand or Balefire to kill most of those who died, as they were too powerful for most others. The descriptions of Semirhage and her hobbies were surely gruesome enough?
    I dont agree either. all of the remeinder have integrated so well that when they fall, the organisation they control falls also eg. Mesaana. I cant imagine it keeping together without her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I love these books!! After reading the 11th one I've decided to go back and re-read the whole series. Hopefully this time I won't be so confused when Mordeth pops up and about the 2 forsaken who have swapped bodies. Please no spoilers! It's Jordans. Fault there must have been like a 2 year gap between book 9 and 10. And to make it even worse 10 was very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Mad Mike wrote:
    I swore I would never get another Wheel of Time book but it being Christmas and all I caved in and bought book 11 "The knife of Dreams".

Needless to say it has been so long since I read the previous books that I am completely lost. I googled around but most of the fansites I found haven't been updated in years. I desperately need

a. Plot summaries of the previous novels.
    b. A cast of characters telling me whos who.
    c. A decent glossary of WOT gibberish.

Anyone know any good WOT reference sites that were updated this century?
    How a bout reading a good series?

BURN

if that doesn't learn him, nothing will

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I have a question that contains spoilers. Its a detail that I forgot.
    how did tylin die?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've just finished book 10 - By the Lords of Kobol, it was bloody awful. Nothing happened. Nothing happened!. It's amazing how few events can pass in six hundred and eighty pages.

Take Mat's plot for example:
    Mat goes with a travelling circus and takes a walk with the Daughter of the Nine Moons.
    . There ya go, don't think I really left anything important out.

Or how about Elaynes?
    Elayne travels back to Caemlyn. She takes a bath, has a meeting with the Sea Folk, has a meeting with some nobels.
    . Wuhoo - I've summated it with all the important points marked.

What's particularly irritating is that we don't get to see the consequences of the most interesting part of book 9 acted out -
    the cleansing of saidin
    . Instead we spend pages watching other characters wonder what's going on...

And as to the Aes Sedai. Sorry, Nynaeve's braid-tugging was tired in book two. Now it's just poor characterisation. Indeed many of them aren't well done - the women, Aes Sedai in particular, are interchangable and generally "have a meek demenour but they'd burn the hide off of you if you looked at them the wrong way" or some such. And hte males aren't much better - characterisation is generally along the lines of "Light! He'd never understand women the way Character X does!" Bleh.

Moirdin's also right about the Chosen being far too meek these days - no sense of danger. A lot of that is to do with them constantly finding people extremely powerful in the One Power. For centuries.. nothing. Then they're all over the place - Aiel, Sea Folk, the Kin, etc etc. Nyaneve's gift doesn't seem so special.

I really hope Book 11 is better than this, that the storylines actually move somewhere. That, unlike this book, everyone isn't just sitting on their arses, picking weevils out of their grain and supping weak tea whilst bloody talking endlessly to characters who differ only by a few consonants in their names. Im stuck until the end but if the quality doesn't improve, it'll be a very bitter end :mad:

Let me finish with one of the many brilliant Amazon reviews - an excerpt:
    I started this series before i could shave:
    2 kids
    1 wife
    college
    3 jobs
    2 major moves
    and a bit of hair loss later, i'm still reading about Rand, Matt and Perrin (and 312,456 other characters that i've filed away under "i hate that i have to remember you and your blasted, nonsensical name. especially since you'll probably not pop up again in the story untill book 17, and by that time you will share the same syntax, syllable length and letter configuration as 457 other characters of similar importance introduced since. In addition to not remebering who you are and why you suddenly interrupted an Aes Sedai tea party complete with serenity, dignified reserve and calm surface chatter about ice peppers from Saldea, i have to read a 7 page description about your feelings about the said Aes Sedai's choice of tea." And while that appears to be a long mental file to keep characters confined in, you should actually try reading these books and keep every freaking character straight!)

I once watched a PBS special about cab drivers in London. Doctors had discovered that there is a part of our brain that stores the necessary details we need to travel about our little corner of the world. For London cabbies, who have to recall VAST amounts of detail in a city that seems to have been designed by drunken Lugarders, this part of their brain was COSIDERABLY larger than average. So much so that when compared side by side to that of a "normal" brain, i gasped at the difference. Then something occured to me that had me quickly regaining a sense of serenity; i realized that this portion of my brain must now fill up my entire skull due to the amount of detail necessary to keep up with the story. Jordan himself must have two seperate heads just to store all that detail in. Mensa here i come!

Then another thought occured to me that shattered the icy calm of the void: The doctors said that this part of the brain grew because of NECESSARY detail. That leaves me with only one conclusion: If cab drivers in London NEED all the detail that causes their brains to swell, then the inverse must also be true; filling the brain with useless detail must in turn SHRINK it. If after reading Crossroads of Twilight i have even a raisen left in my skull, i'll consider it a victory. TOO MUCH DETAIL that does nothing for the story. It is NOT "rich" storytelling to embelish every single page with line upon line of fashion, food and mood descriptions while relegating important plot advancements to a paragraph or two. That is called fleecing the sheep. And like sheep, we're stupid enough to keep reading to find out, one day, what actually happens at the end.

My advice to anyone who loves fantasy:
    If you must read this series, become a cabbie in London to fight off the effects of the brain shrinkage. It's what i've chosen to do.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Mordeth wrote:
    I was the same way, but after reading a hundred or so pages I started to remember more about what was going on (although I hadn't read book 10), then after another 50 or so pages I threw it away in disgust.....

never again! Robert Jordan's gotten enough of my money. .....

I feel the same. Read them all but I'll not buy any more. Its like the plot has got away from him, and hes desperately adding more and more to keep it going. He should have ended it and started a new series. Perhaps set 100 yrs ahead in the same world. Its just a meandering mess now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cdol

Well having read all of them comments im left quite confused!I'm in the middle of book 7 at the moment and Im extremly fortunate because i only came across the world of robert jordon last year and therefore had no delays between each book. As a matter of intrest when did he first bring out the "eye of the world", how many years has this series been stretching over?

My opinion at this stage is that already some of the magic has been lost from his books, why he needs to pad them with repetitive sayings ect. i dont understand as it takes away from the pace of the plot! Often i notice that nothing much happens until the last hundred pages or so when it all kicks off.

I have been captured by the world of the wheel of time and will hopefully finish the series out, but i hope it isnt all doom and gloom like many of the above comments suggest!

• Advertisement

Doom and gloom is fine if its done well. Re: the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.

In reply to Cdol:

For a good verview look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

From my memories as a reader the series started with "The Eye of the World" in 1990 and Robert Jordan indicated that the full series would take five or six books. Robert Jordan proceeded to write the follow on books at a rate of about one every 18 months. In my opinon the series kept getting better and better up to about book five. Unfortunately there was no sign of the series reaching a conclusion and each book introduced new characters and new plot threads. Again in my opinion things went downhill from there. Follow on books confused things even further with new characters and new plot threads and no end in sight. Book 11 (The knife of Dreams) has finally started to close off some plot lines and Robert Jordan has promised that book 12 will finally end the series. The sad news is that Robert Jordan has revealed that he is suffering from a rare terminal illness and it will now be a race against time for him to complete the series. for more see here: http://www.tor.com/jordan/

Sad news. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cdol

cheers for that mike! ya sad news about robert!

um.. new spring wasn't released until well after book 7 was out.

maybe book 6.. but it def was not the first.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mordeth wrote:
    um.. new spring wasn't released until well after book 7 was out.

maybe book 6.. but it def was not the first.
    I thought that initially but then I recall that "New Spring" was a fleshed-out version of an older short story. I'm a-guessing that the OP is referring to this original short story (not the novella version) as the beginning of the endless WoT series.

Actually, editing, "New Spring" was originally in "Legends I" and then fleshed out to a stand-alone novel. If I remember rightly.

Mea culpa

The first novel was in fact "The Eye of the World" published in 1990. I'll edit my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I completely forgot what happened in the series but when I read 11 i rememberd them. Although I'll probably forget them in time for book 12.

they made a pc game too, in case anyone's interested... sorry if I already mentioned it.. I can't remember.

www.wheeloftime.com is the official, game site iirc.. it was decent enough, what little I played of it.

well.. that link don't work nomore.. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/wheeloftime/index.html

• Advertisement

Yes it came out in 1999 but I only played the game recently when a faulty graphics card forced me to look at games that would run on a five year old stop gap. I think it is set before the books but the storyline is not bad and feels quite true to the books. You play an Aes Sedai and darkfriends, trollocs, myrddraal, whitecloaks, waygates and Machin Sin all feature strongly. Of course the graphics are ancient but the gameplay stands up remarkably well. It is basically a first person shooter but it stands out from generic FPSes of the time because choosing the right weave (spell) at the right time makes it quite a tactical affair. Apparently multiplayer was particularly good - For example you could wrap yourself in a reflect weave so that an adversary who tried to nuke you with a mega fireball would end up frying themselves instead.

I played about 2/3 of the way through but I ditched it for 21st century flashy graphics when my graphics card returned from the repair shop. Thank you for reminding me about it - I just might dig it out and play through to the finish.

Advertisement