Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting Alloys and do i need new bolts?

Options
  • 30-12-2005 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Just got a set of alloys and was wondering can i use the bolts tha came with my ormal car wheels or do i have to buy new bolts? or is there alloy caps avaliable that i just put over my bolts?? :D

im a complete noob at :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Just buy some locknuts they are cheap (about 40 yoyo). for a set of 16.

You probably will be able to use your originals though I wouldn't reccomend it because they are easy to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

layke wrote:
    Just buy some locknuts they are cheap (about 40 yoyo). for a set of 16.

Youd be doing well getting 16 locknuts for 40 yoyos!its roughly 40 for a pack of 4 in most places.I dont think its reccomeneded that you use more than 1 lock nut per wheel either

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

There is 5 nuts on each whell. Went to my local auto part store this morning and was told the bolts would cost me €80 :eek: :eek:

Does this sound right?

was also told that i cant use the ones i have already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Mebbe i'm wrong but I do remember thinking they were a bit cheap.

I got mine in Icetronics on the naas rd (going towards the Mad cow).

Give them a bell and ask.

Cheers will ring them now if there open

• Advertisement

feckers arent answering or else its just not open. Wanted to sort it out today, any other place u can think of??

Halfrauds are open and should have them in stock

eireal wrote:
    Halfrauds are open and should have them in stock

Nope i rang them and they said they dont stock them. Some ebay dealer said he could get them for £1.10 each so might go for that, works out at about 45 euro instead of 80euro

Did you ask for wheel nuts or locking nuts?Im positive that halfords liffey valley have them (locking nuts)

Asked for wheel nuts, thats what i need though isnt it?

Here are my standard bolts

Wheelatmoment.jpg

Can i use these?

• Advertisement

No,you need a nut that looks something like this

http://www.emotionautostyling.com/Lightweight%20nuts%20red.jpg

The lock nuts are recomended to stop your wheels being nicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

There's something like if you change from steel to alloy wheels you need a different type of bolt because they're slightly differently shaped and the ones for the steel wheels will damage the alloys. I heard that, could've been bull**** though. If they're nice wheels I'd recommend locknuts though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

eireal wrote:

The lock nuts are recomended to stop your wheels being nicked!

yes, but only one per wheel.....something about not being able to torque them asmuch as a normal nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Did you not get new bolts with the Alloys???

I know i have the last 2 times i bought alloys..................sounds a bit wierd that you did not get them

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Yeah when I have bought alloys they give the bolts also...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Squirrel wrote:
    There's something like if you change from steel to alloy wheels you need a different type of bolt because they're slightly differently shaped and the ones for the steel wheels will damage the alloys. I heard that, could've been bull**** though. If they're nice wheels I'd recommend locknuts though
    The difference is usually in the shoulder shape.
    if you hold the nut up and look at it in profile some nuts are round shouldered and some are a V in profile.
    If you try and put a round nut in a V wheel the shoulder can crack the alloy if you overtighten it as it is only bearing on a tiny piece of the wheelnut well.
    The converse applies too a V nut put into a round hole will only contact at the top and bottom of the hole.
    Ask a mechanic as it is a nasty surprise to see your own wheel passing you out!

Advertisement