Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Truth - the best discworld book?

• 30-12-2005 11:03am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Read this last week over Xmas, probably the best one I've read so far. Slightly similar to Going Postal (printing press / postal service). Otto the Vampire is great, plus a few minor appearances from the watch. Lord Vetinari plays a interesting minor to medium role too.

Now, starting the 5th elephant, which will be then followed by Thud (after reading some non discworld in between).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Its excellent but it certainly aint the best.

I think Night Watch is the best so far still, i think Vimes should turn into a Veteneri like character now and only referred to in passing as one of the people who runs things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Have to say I thought it was great. Loved all the pokes at journalism. Wouldnt be my fav though. Im partial to the Death and Witches books.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No way

Jingo
    Night Watch
    Soul Music
    Thief of Time

Guess they just say something to me

Actually I thought the truth kind of petered out towards the end..? first 3/4 ruled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

In no particular order -
    • Soul Music
    • The Light Fantastic
    • The Colour Of Magic

Are three that really stand out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

hmmmm

Small Gods.
    Guards Guards.
    Thief of time.

In no particular order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Truth is high up for me too, as is 5th elephant. Night Watch is probably my fav. Jingo also good. Interesting Times is probably my 2nd favourite actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

People make faces at me when I say I thought Going Postal was incredible but I really enjoyed it. The Truth slightly less so. I think I just love seeing the little guy beat the big bad b*stards of the world :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I keep mixing up Guards, Guards and Nightwatch.

Can someone summarise each one in 3 points to jog my memory. Too lazy to google :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

In order of preference:

1. The Colour of Magic
    1. The Colour of Magic
    1. The Colour of Magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Nightwatch
    Pyramids
    Lords and Ladies

(and although it's not Discworld 'Good Omens')

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

BossArky wrote:
    I keep mixing up Guards, Guards and Nightwatch.

Can someone summarise each one in 3 points to jog my memory. Too lazy to google :o
    Guards! Guards!: plot to put a king on the throne; dragon; Night Watch consists of four people (first Watch book)
    Night Watch: Vimes goes back in time; Carcer; revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Night Watch was the best written of all the discworld books.

I was disapointed because Thud felt like such a step back for the character of Vimes after Night Watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Guest

Anything with nanny ogg and granny weatherwax makes me laugh and the best of that lot has to be Masquerade, as for the Truth one of the better ones id say, the enterance of father pin and sister tulip administering to a man with his dog/badger is not to be forgotten lightly.

about to start monstrous regiment, hope it works out well, looks different to anything from the ramtops or Ankh-Morpork. lets hope its good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Its excellent but it certainly aint the best.

I think Night Watch is the best so far still, i think Vimes should turn into a Veteneri like character now and only referred to in passing as one of the people who runs things.
    never!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think night watch is the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

The Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic and The Fifth Elephant were my best.

The Scone of Stone-only Prachett could have thought up that!:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Demetrius wrote:
    The Scone of Stone-only Prachett could have thought up that!:)

Having recently read MacBeth I am assuming that Prachett was taking the piss/referring to Scone, the place in Scotland where the high kings were crowned.

mikhail wrote:
    Guards! Guards!: plot to put a king on the throne; dragon; Night Watch consists of four people (first Watch book)
    Night Watch: Vimes goes back in time; Carcer; revolution.

Ok, Guards Guards was the better of those in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

BossArky wrote:
    Having recently read MacBeth I am assuming that Prachett was taking the piss/referring to Scone, the place in Scotland where the high kings were crowned.

Yep, this is exactly what he is doing. I love the Discworld books and recent ones are really devloping but a large portion of Pratchetts work is simply taking historical events and putting a discworld spin and reasoning on them. I have nothing against this at all because he does such a great job and the characters are so well thought out :)

The Truth was one of the best of what I term 'the new books' where Pratchett has begun the modernisation and technological development of discworld, although I loved Going Postal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My favourite has to be Reaper Man - makes me laugh out loud still, even tho I've read it hundreds of times! :)

Advertisement