Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP install issue

• 30-12-2005 11:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

when i tried to install xp pro or xp home on my friends pcsetup reboots as normal before installing but always just loads the cd again and goes back to the install menu...as if it is doing a loop.

i have tried 3 different hard drives, 4 different copies of xp, both home and pro, i have repeatedly changed the boot priority and used the advanced startup options.

if i force a hard drive boot it boots the cd...if i take out the cd it says "error loading operating system". basically my problem is i cant install an operating system.

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Set the hard drive you installed your Windows on as first boot device in the BIOS, then take out the CD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

yeah i know how that works...problem is the problem occurs before windows installs..

it keeps entering the same loop after the setup files copy over and the installer restarts the pc in order to enter setup...its wrecking my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I had a PC a few years back that had a BIOS option to prevent boot-sector writes to the harddrive... presumably to stop virus related shenanigans (I think the CIH virus was big at the time).
    It's not something I've looked for in my previous few motherboards, since I reinstall every few months anyway, so I'm not sure how common this still is... I know there are still BIOS write protects, but I can't say I've noticed this HDD boot sector protection in the last few years of upgrading.

It seems like a possibility anyway, since I'd say the windows os installer prepairs some boot-sector stuff for the reboot-and-continue-from-harddrive malarky.
    I recall many a "warning! boot sector is about to be written to!" in my time with that old mobo.
    So have a poke around the in cmos settings for something that rings a similar-sounding bell (malarky).

Advertisement