Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Jerky In Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

dudara wrote: »
    Donnybrook fair definitely stock it. I love the stuff
    Do you know how much it costs there and where exactly it is shelved?

Anyone else know of places in Dublin that Beef Jerky is sold? I'm addicted to Teriyaki but don't want to use online ordering forms to get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

The only place I've seen it is in Cork, two weeks ago - the shop at the bottom of Gaol Cross just by UCC has a few different flavours of beef jerky! Yummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I saw Beef Jerky in Tesco Express in Galway the other day, if anyone's looking for some round these parts. I'm kinda tempted to try it, but it looks a bit like leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

In the Galway Saturday market Henry and his wife sell Biltong from the same stall as they sell the Boerwors from, while you're at it try a nice Boerwors with chutney, mustard and onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 thutt

Hi all,

I have been monitoring your posts for a while now mainly because I am thinking of producing beef jerky within Ireland. I am originally from Canada (been here 7 years now) and I owned a small snack company in Halifax, Nova Scotia called Peg's Fine Foods, and we manufactured beef jerky in original, hot, teriyaki and smoking hot.

Do you think there is a viable market here in Ireland? I would like to actually manufacture it here in Ireland and I have a lot of experience in it, albeit 7 years ago.

I know I can deliver a good product at a reasonable price, and if the minions enjoy it I might just make a few bob in the process. What do the jerky experts think? I am open to suggetions...

Cheers

Terry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

thutt wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been monitoring your posts for a while now mainly because I am thinking of producing beef jerky within Ireland. I am originally from Canada (been here 7 years now) and I owned a small snack company in Halifax, Nova Scotia called Peg's Fine Foods, and we manufactured beef jerky in original, hot, teriyaki and smoking hot.

Do you think there is a viable market here in Ireland? I would like to actually manufacture it here in Ireland and I have a lot of experience in it, albeit 7 years ago.

I know I can deliver a good product at a reasonable price, and if the minions enjoy it I might just make a few bob in the process. What do the jerky experts think? I am open to suggetions...

Cheers

Terry

I'm all game for trying locally produced beef jerky, a long time fan.

But I would recommend you put some links or info in your personal profile on Boards.ie and not to plug yourself or your blog (if you have one) on the threads forums. It doesn't go down well.

Just a heads up!

But beef jerky made in Ireland is a great idea! All the best with it!

Thanks Lornen,

I am new to this and would not want to upset the boards or this thread here. I am not looking for self promotion or traffic to a particular web site, like I said I am just "compiling" info to see if there is actually any market there for me to get started. I know of the lads down in Cork, but their jerky is made in Estonia and brought in. Has anyone tried their product? I have not to date but would be interested in getting some. I am in Kilkenny so none of the shops carry it, I believe it is very regionalised around the Munster area.

I would eventually be looking at a line of jerky and the pepperoni style sticks, maybe even some other snack foods as well to compliment the line. But I really want to get the jerky up and running first. Like I said I want to produce everything in Ireland, we don't make anything these days and I feel if I can get it off the ground in this country eventually it could lead to an export market throughout the EU.

All comments and ideas welcome!

Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I'd buy it from you, Terry, if you could do a sugar-free version! They've been selling it in Westport Supervalu for ages - in packs that hang in front of the shelves, if you know what I mean. Love it, but would prefer it not to be sweet. Hot is good, but sweet is a bit bleah :)

Hi Darkginger!

I am a type 2 Diabetic, so I watch my sugar intake as well. Jerky has allways been marketed as a low fat, low sugar high protein snack, as long as you don't get into the teriyaki or sweet smoked cured stuff.

Our basic flavour and the hot (we actually did 3 levels, normal, hot, and really hot) were allways low in sugars, the only sugar we get in the recipe comes from ketchup, which is in minor ammounts. So the lads marketing the jerky as low sugar are not lying to you, but most traditional brands would be fairly low anyway.

The big American brands seem to use a lot of sugar for curing as they have a lot more moisture in their product, but it makes it easier to chew. A lot of the jerky experts out there do not even consider that product as jerky, but it is a big seller. We stick with the dehydrated tough as hell to chew stuff and it seemed to work for us. Longer shelf life, no preservatives (like nitrates) and its fun to naw on...

When I get a few test rounds up and to a decent standard I will be looking for "testers"... I will post more on this, maybe even start another thread specifically for it. But for now I am just looking for ideas and comments. Thanks Darkginger all input is really appreciated.

Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

hope to see your product in shops eventually :)

I get some when ever I spot it - supervalue in Athlone is the only place I ever notice it though and that stuff is just ok. I prefer the really chewy stuff and agree with not having it too sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Thutt, definite customer right here! The only thing I dislike about jerky is that nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I should be supporting Irish produce, that's most definitely the only thing though. I like the sound of "tough as hell" jerky too by the way, not a fan of jerky that disappears far too quickly for softness.

In the meantime, can anybody name anywhere else around Dublin city centre that I can get hold of jerky? I'm never around DF or malahide...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd be very interested in Irish produced ' tough as hell to chew ' jerky.

I'd also be very interested in trying lamb jerky. Do you think that could work?

I'd happily volunteer to be a taster !:D

Thanks for the comments to date gang!

"Tough As Hell" Jerky seemed to go over well with you all, I wonder if it is a marketable name? I will be doing the basic jerky (not sweet) and 3 variations in mild, medium, and hot to start.

As for lamb jerky, it does well, but can be expensive. I will look at it closer, but lamb does hold itself well provided the cuts are lean (the fat does not dehydrate and turns rancid quickly). But when in Rome... you Irish love your lamb so I will investigate! (Mutton, which is usually quite tough and not the best to eat as a roast, would make fine jerky as toughness does not matter when you are dehydrating it. Also it is much cheeper from the butcher.)

Finally, I would like to call attention to the fact I will be using Irish ingredients and Irish labour where ever possible, trying desperately to put more money in our local economy. I noticed a few comments about buying locally on the boards and I hope people will give this snack food a real chance...

Keep the comments coming, I will answer all. If you think I should start a new thread let me know, I am new to BBs and I don't know the procedure too well, BUT I DO KNOW JERKY!

Cheers all,

Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

thutt- That is as far as it goes. If you wish to conduct further feasability studies please do it elsewhere. I am all for the production & promotion of Irish products, but if we gave free rein to all food businesses to use this forum to promote future products it may as well just be an ad site.

Thanks,

HB

Sorry Hilly Billy!

Didn't mean to do any harm. Cheers and thanks for all the comments. Is it ok to post a link to a site that I might set up to compile info and just chat about the product? Again I didn't mean anything malicious or unbeneficial to the board.

Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks Terry. I'm glad you understand.

Now - back to discussing Beef Jerky without the product placements... ;)

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

I was in Mayo this weekend and bought it in Supervalu in Westport. First time I've ever seen it in the republic!

AlkalineAcid,

Was it expensive? I had some Wild West Beef Jerky from the North on the weekend, it was a 25g bag and retailed for 1 pound at ASDA. It wasn't bad, but it was a little sweet. I went through it very quickly...

Cheers,

Terry

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

thutt wrote: »
    Thanks Lornen,

I am new to this and would not want to upset the boards or this thread here. I am not looking for self promotion or traffic to a particular web site, like I said I am just "compiling" info to see if there is actually any market there for me to get started. I know of the lads down in Cork, but their jerky is made in Estonia and brought in. Has anyone tried their product? I have not to date but would be interested in getting some. I am in Kilkenny so none of the shops carry it, I believe it is very regionalised around the Munster area.

I would eventually be looking at a line of jerky and the pepperoni style sticks, maybe even some other snack foods as well to compliment the line. But I really want to get the jerky up and running first. Like I said I want to produce everything in Ireland, we don't make anything these days and I feel if I can get it off the ground in this country eventually it could lead to an export market throughout the EU.

All comments and ideas welcome!

Terry

Hi Terry,

I bought a load from Estonia a couple of weeks back and to be honest I was expecting better. I got a good mix of types, the crumbly sort and the bigger chunks and it's a bit hit and miss. I'm more used to biltong than jerky so I don't know if my expectations were off but I would have preferred there to be more of a chew before the moisture comes; instead it's a little dry and bland.

My parents live in Kilkenny; I would love to be able to buy some when I'm over or have them post some on to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Clarkes supervalu in barna are currently selling it. Haven't tried the one they sell there, must give it a go today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

anyone know where I could get some in Dublin?

im a whoore for Jank Links teryaki jerky! delish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

The Fresh supermarkets do them. Certainly the one on Grand Canal Square. They're Jack Links.

A got a couple of bags but very expensive considering there's very little in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

WilcoOut wrote: »
    anyone know where I could get some in Dublin?

im a whoore for Jank Links teryaki jerky! delish

Airside of Terminal 2. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eriu1979

The new tesco extra in portlaoise has it, couldnt believe it when I saw it as I have been getting my beef jerky from GERMANY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

The Applegreen petrol station just down from The Stillorgan Park Hotel in Dublin has some, I got 2 bags last week and nearly ate the bag and all. Maybe ill get some for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pacsbuilder

Supervalue in Sallins has Jack Links but only Sweet&Hot in tiny little bags.

I believe Tesco Extra in Naas does Wild West but I can't find it on the shelves and it doesn't come up in their database but with Tesco's history they've probably mis-filed it (actually now I think about it I might check the 'exotic food' section).

For the record, my own fav woud be Jack Links Peppered.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

The only place I have seen jerky in ireland is in Super Valu. It was the Jack Links brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I went into Dunnes Stores in Blanchardstown the other day. They are selling little bags of beef jerky for 2 euro each. They are in the crisps aisle, hanging from little peg things at random intervals down the aisle. The flavours are: 'Original' and 'Sweet and Hot'. It's the Jack Links brand. I bought one packet of each..both were delicious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Every time this thread is revived I think thutt is back to give us all glorious free jerky, gives me one hell of a craving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Acidmanic

hi all, new to posts on boards so forgive me for my ignorance.

i have a south african friend who supplies biltong (jerky) to his saffa friends.

not sure if i can post his details here for you guys to get hold of him?

tks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement