Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday 30th December - PDC WC Quarter Final Day

• 30-12-2005 1:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So today is the day of the PDC World Championships Quarter Finals and the order of play is as follows:

Sky Sports 1 @ 1pm
    Gary Welding
    V
    Wayne Jones
    Peter Manley
    V
    Adrian Lewis

Sky Sports 1 @ 7pm
    Wayne Mardle
    V
    Alan Warriner-Little
    Phil Taylor
    V
    Kevin Painter

An absolutely great day of darts is ahead. The first game guarantees that there will be a qualifier in the semi-finals. Welding has been playing very well and no one can forget that he is the man that put out the world number one Colin Lloyd. He has been throwing great darts all week, probably the best he has ever thrown and I would put him as slight favourite for this match. Wayne Jones has been playing well also and has faced some tricky opponents. He was 0-2 down in sets to James Wade in the first round and came back to win so he has great fighting spirit. I dont think he can score as heavily as Welding and that will be the deciding factor in this game. I expect Welding to win 5-3

Peter Manley and Adrian Lewis is another interestig prospect with experience up against cocky youth. Manley has seen and done it all, been in the final twice only to lose on both occasions. Lewis is the new kid on the block who everyone expects to win. Manley hasnt played great throughout this tournament but he will not go down without a fight. He will need to raise his average by at least 5 points to match Lewis who is a very heavy scorer. Lewis can get very frustrated if things dont go his way and that is something Manley will have to try and exploit. Sadly I dont think he will and so Lewis will go through 5-2.

On the the evening session where we have two fantastic matches. Mardle is a terrific dart player and can match anyone for scoring power even Taylor but he struggles on doubles sometimes. Saying that though he was magnificent against John Part, as was Part himself, and the standard of that game was breathtaking. If Mardle can hit his doubles he will beat anyone and the crowd will always be in his favour. Alan Warriner-Little has been steady so far if not spectacular and has done the job to get this far. He is a very consistent player who will certainly give Mardle one hell of a game. He beat the pie man Andy Smith yesterday in a good match and I expect this one to be quite close. If Mardle hits his doubles he should win reletively easily but you never know with Mardle. I think Mardle might just nick it 5-3 in a great match.

Now we are on to the headline act, a repeat of that epic 2004 final which Taylor won in the last leg of the last set in a sudden death nearest to the bull leg. There has been some bad blood between these two players who have had many arguments in the past and both will be very fired up for this win. Painter looked brilliant against Dudbridge last night, beating him 4-1 and scoring very heavily. His doubles were poor though and he finsihed on a 93 average. It would definitely have been over a 100 if his doubles had been better. Tayloy was his usual brilliant self beating Andy Hamilton 4-0 despite Hamilton averaging an excellent 97. This has the makings of a Titanic battle and I can see it going all the way if Painter can hit his doubles. Painter is one of the few players that worries Taylor and I can wait for this. I would love to see Painter win but I think Taylor will edge it in another epic 5-4.

So pull up a seat and a few beers and enjoy the darts. Game on!!!!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Qualifier Wayne Jones lost just two legs on his way to a 5-0 demolition of Gary Welding in the quarter-fnals of the World Darts Championship at the Circus Tavern.

The Wolverhampton man was in impressive form as he set up a semi-final against either Peter Manley or Adrian Lewis, although he was not troubled by a woeful display from 'The Hitman' Welding.

Jones is now assured of at least £20,000 even if he loses his first World Championship semi-final on Saturday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

watman wrote:
    Qualifier Wayne Jones lost just two legs on his way to a 5-0 demolition of Gary Welding in the quarter-fnals of the World Darts Championship at the Circus Tavern.

The Wolverhampton man was in impressive form as he set up a semi-final against either Peter Manley or Adrian Lewis, although he was not troubled by a woeful display from 'The Hitman' Welding.

Jones is now assured of at least £20,000 even if he loses his first World Championship semi-final on Saturday.

Shows what I know :rolleyes:

Also Peter Manley has beaten Adrian Lewis 5-3 to progress o the semi-finals(which I will be attending :D ) in an ill tempered match where Adrain Lewis actually walked off stage on one point claiming that Manley was cursing at him as he was about to throw. He also accused Manley of other things and he was clearly annoyed. I said before that Lewis has a temperment problem that we saw before when he played Priestly and he was getting really annoyed with himself and the slow play of Priestly.

I wonder will this affect Taylor for his match against Painter toninght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

See Wayne Mardle just missed out on a nine darter :(

Pity

Advertisement