Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazines

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Used to buy Amstrad Action then PC Format, but I stopped buying magazines altogether a good while ago and just rely on the net now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ObeyGiant wrote:
    *flush*

According to gamesindustry.biz, Highbury (the publishers of GamesTM, Play, X60 and Cube magazines) has just been put up for sale. Byebye GamesTM.

not necessarily. if their sales are anyway decent (and i suspect they are), they'll pick up another publisher. of course the other route is that whoever buys highbury will continue the current output, as the mags you listed are all well known, and as such, probably make some profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

not necessarily. if their sales are anyway decent (and i suspect they are), they'll pick up another publisher. of course the other route is that whoever buys highbury will continue the current output, as the mags you listed are all well known, and as such, probably make some profit.
    Why do you suspect their sales are decent? I'm no economist, but I'd guess that if the sales were decent, they wouldn't have reached a level of debt that couldn't be recovered.

Future effectively owns the market. I can't imagine anyone being foolish enough (or brave enough, or philanthropic enough) to tackle them. Although, that said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if GamesTM does live on. As much as I dislike their writing, I do like to have a choice in magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Why do you suspect their sales are decent? I'm no economist, but I'd guess that if the sales were decent, they wouldn't have reached a level of debt that couldn't be recovered.

true enough, but given the popularity of gamesTM, play and what not, i'd be fairly sure they make some sort of money. the company as a whole could be going down the tosser for any number of reasons
    ObeyGiant wrote:
    Future effectively owns the market. I can't imagine anyone being foolish enough (or brave enough, or philanthropic enough) to tackle them. Although, that said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if GamesTM does live on. As much as I dislike their writing, I do like to have a choice in magazines.

maybe future'll take on gamestm? though that would conflict with a number of their publications... hasn't stopped them in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Bought CVG religiously every month from bout mid '93 till sometime around 2001, same with the official Nintendo for about five years. Used to pick up various others other mags aswell (Gamesmaster especially) a good lot of the time. I have about 500 old magazines up in my attic at the minute.
    I could count on my two hands how many magazines ive bought in the last few years though, maybe the odd one here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I really like Edge, but they have gone a bit down hill in the last year or so, especially after there "re-vamp". It is one of the few magazines that actuall treats gamers as adults and games as more than reviews and advertising. It is a bit too console orientated for my liking though (eg. loads on Halo 2, little on Half Life 2), and some times they just get it completely wrong (10/10 for Halo, do not think so), but it is still light years away from most of the stupid "Offical Lick Arse" mags out there.

I loved Arcade!!!, I actually remember being angry when it was cancelled. Silly to be angry over a games magazine, but it was such a class magazine ... *sob* ..

Sometimes by PC Gamer but that has got a bit sh*t recently, and as anyone noticed that it doesn't seem to be nearly as big as it once was (I mean content wise)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

EGM used to be a fantastic magazine (and they stocked it in Easons too.) About three years ago the writing, among other things, just became... bad. Really bad. It's a shame that I can't actually enjoy reading it now... it's awful stuff.

Got a free subscription to Game Informer a year or two ago, it's not the worse but not great. They seem to like skewing reviews alot.

Out of them all, I like Edge the most, although I do find it takes itself a tad too serious most times. Still, got 50 issues or so off here for nothing and reading back over some of the special features makes a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

PC Gamer here. For years and years.

Advertisement