Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung LE32R41B 32" Help

• 30-12-2005 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi I am looking at getting a new tv and this is the one
    I am looking at Samsung LE32R41B 32".
    What do you's think of it or could you tell me if you have one?
    Is it wort getting?
    I am also looking for a good swing arm wall bracket.

Thanks

www.shopireland.ie/electronics/detail/B000A0D8FO/Samsung-LE32R41B-32'-Rome-II/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Is it wort getting?

Thanks

Aye, i have one of them myself.
    Brilliant tv, ive nothing but great opinions on this tv.

The picture is excellent from all the lcds ive seen, but if you do buy it and get it home you do have to tweak the picture and colour settings because they are too high from default (for the showrooms)
    I mainly use it for Sky via the RGB scart and the picture is top notch on good quality channels like sky movies and sky sports.
    Colour is nice and vibrant and doesnt look slightly washed out like the crt.
    Blacks on the tv are good for me, but some may say they are too bright, but thats where the dynamic contrast helps.
    HDTV on it, well what can i say, it blew me away, i actually became addicted to viewing hdtv on it because its what the tv does best.

Sound, its good and powerfull for my needs, but for movies i do use my surround sound.

I have a few pictures of when i got the tv, the sea shots of the tv are in HD, but the camera that took them dont do it justice, the rest are all of SD broadcasts.
    http://www.images.sparky-s.com/sp_index.php?dir=./Samsung32

I will recommend the Samsung HD850 HDMI dvd player as it upscales dvd films and i must say the films look nice and crisp and clear when its upscaled to 720p.

Im using the supplied stand that came with the tv, but plan to wall mount it in the near future, i havnt checked on wall mounts yet but they are expensive last time i checked.

Anyways hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭davidmdickens

Thanks for the help.
    Could you tell me the setting's for the best picture
    and where you got your tv and how much?
    I am waiting on DID to get them back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭MickH503

Is it wort getting?

Thanks

I know it's probably been asked before, but what's the difference between the R41 and the R51 models?
    Also, I dunno if you were thinking of buying from the shopireland link you mentioned, but I don't believe they will ship large (?) TVs to Ireland ... not positive though.
    Thanks ....

Thanks for the help.
    Could you tell me the setting's for the best picture
    and where you got your tv and how much?
    I am waiting on DID to get them back in.
    What sort of price are DID looking for? Currys had them on sale for €1449 last week, but, unfortunately I can't afford it quite yet ... almost ......!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

MickH503 wrote:
    I know it's probably been asked before, but what's the difference between the R41 and the R51 models?

The R41 model has a square black frame on the screen with a silver V speakers and the R51 has a V black frame and silver V speakers.

The number after the LE (26/32/37/40 etc) is the screen size. The B model is "normal" and the BD or BDX model have the Digital freeview tuner built in. Note this is for the English market so will not get you any extra channels....

L.

• Advertisement

nereid wrote:
    The R41 model has a square black frame on the screen with a silver V speakers and the R51 has a V black frame and silver V speakers.

The number after the LE (26/32/37/40 etc) is the screen size. The B model is "normal" and the BD or BDX model have the Digital freeview tuner built in. Note this is for the English market so will not get you any extra channels....

L.

So there are no technical differences between the two? Do you know what the refresh rate is? www.samsung.co.uk don't say in the tech specs. Thanks.

MickH503 wrote:
    So there are no technical differences between the two? Do you know what the refresh rate is? www.samsung.co.uk don't say in the tech specs. Thanks.

Both the 41 and 51 will be the exact same the only difference is the V at the bottom of the screen

I have been reading up on avforums.com about these and the consensus there seems to be that the refresh rate is 12ms or 8ms depending on which model you get - ie the newer or older one.

The next difference is if you start to look at the M model (LEXXMX1XXX) which looks different (it is all square - no V). This definitely has an 8ms response time.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

nereid wrote:

L.

Will the freeview built in not work over here???

I went up to Dixons to get the Samsung LE3251BD but the Salesperson said they have been recalled due to them catching fire or sparks flying out of the set. I was really dissapointed cos I had made my decision to get the Samsung TV. The salesperson said they should have them back in stock in a few weeks. I am willing to wait a few more weeks unless I see a nice new model that catches my eye!!!!

So there is no real difference between the LE3241B and the LE3251BD? I see that Komplett have the LE3251B which doesnt have the freeview built in for €1399, I cant make up my mind now!!!!

nereid wrote:
    Both the 41 and 51 will be the exact same the only difference is the V at the bottom of the screen

I have been reading up on avforums.com about these and the consensus there seems to be that the refresh rate is 12ms or 8ms depending on which model you get - ie the newer or older one.

The next difference is if you start to look at the M model (LEXXMX1XXX) which looks different (it is all square - no V). This definitely has an 8ms response time.

L.
    Thanks for the info. Is that M model available in Ireland yet and what price? Cheers ...

Davexirl wrote:
    Will the freeview built in not work over here???

I went up to Dixons to get the Samsung LE3251BD but the Salesperson said they have been recalled due to them catching fire or sparks flying out of the set. I was really dissapointed cos I had made my decision to get the Samsung TV. The salesperson said they should have them back in stock in a few weeks. I am willing to wait a few more weeks unless I see a nice new model that catches my eye!!!!

So there is no real difference between the LE3241B and the LE3251BD? I see that Komplett have the LE3251B which doesnt have the freeview built in for €1399, I cant make up my mind now!!!!

There is no Freeview Digital TV in this country yet as far as I know so this is of no use to you. It might come out at some stage but you can always get a set top box in that eventuality.

I heard about that recall too. Not sure what to make of it because I only "heard" about it on avforums - nothing on samsung website. Also it seems to be just the currys/dixons group that are recalling and that coincedentally is the only shops that are selling the D models (ie with the freeview tuner) so maybe that is what is breaking!!!

Personally I am going for a 26" (small house....) and have pretty much narrowed the choice down to the Samsung LE26M41B or the JVC LT26S60B equivalent spec, both on Komplett for the same price. The JVC is supposedly 7ms response time and I saw the 32" version of it instore today and it is pretty damn good too.
    MickH503 wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Is that M model available in Ireland yet and what price? Cheers ...

I have seen the M model nowhere and none of the erm, knowledgeable, sales people seem to have heard of it. It is on the internet though. Komplett.ie have it and the price seems reasonable - €1260 to your door for the 26".
    I just have a mental reluctance to buy something like this off the Internet... The savings are there to be made though - I guesstimate somewhere in the region of €100 - €200 on the 26" size.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Davexirl wrote:

I went up to Dixons to get the Samsung LE3251BD but the Salesperson said they have been recalled due to them catching fire or sparks flying out of the set. I was really dissapointed cos I had made my decision to get the Samsung TV. The salesperson said they should have them back in stock in a few weeks. €1399,

which dixons was that dave ?

i bought a Samsung LE32R51BD in dixons blanch in november and it lasted for 13 days then blew and got it replaced with the same model.

i have my new set about 6 weeks with no problems but if they would not sell you the set i'll have to ring them and check mine out just to be sure .

Jesus christ lads, you dont inspire confidence in the tv i got. :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Clover wrote:
    which dixons was that dave ?

i bought a Samsung LE32R51BD in dixons blanch in november and it lasted for 13 days then blew and got it replaced with the same model.

i have my new set about 6 weeks with no problems but if they would not sell you the set i'll have to ring them and check mine out just to be sure .

It was Dixons in Liffey Valley on Saturday, I was in Currys in Blanchardstown and they said they had none in stock so I asked yer man to check the other Currys/Dixons shops he tells me that Dixons in Liffey Valley had 5 in stock so I go over there to buy it and they said they cant sell me any due to being re-called.

I would ring to make sure clover that your tele isnt from the same batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I got mine on December 14th from Dixons in Tallaght. They obviously told me nothing about this spontanious combustion issue. Can someone show me some hard proof that they are officially recalled.

me waits for recall info in newspaper :D

Sparky-s wrote:
    me waits for recall info in newspaper :D

Sparky you could be lucky... link.

Seems to just be the current batch, but maybe you could send an email to Samsung to see if they have a batch number that you could check against.

L.

nereid wrote:
    Sparky you could be lucky... link.

Seems to just be the current batch, but maybe you could send an email to Samsung to see if they have a batch number that you could check against.

L.

yeah, seems to look like its currys that are getting a bad batch, i got mine mid november in DID, and i did notice mine has the flat black trim, rather than the v trim on what currys had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

@ Sparky-S

Just looked @ your pics of the telly the picutre is sweet!

I have the LE32R51BD model ..

Could you tell me what way you have your set up wired/cabled ... as i'd like to get the best possible picture out of it.

thanks in advance

Darren

MR DAZ wrote:
    @ Sparky-S

Just looked @ your pics of the telly the picutre is sweet!

I have the LE32R51BD model ..

Could you tell me what way you have your set up wired/cabled ... as i'd like to get the best possible picture out of it.

thanks in advance

Darren

ok where to begin :D

Sky plus via RGB scart, (Ext1)

Mode standard (modified) (i use this mainly for all tv watching)
    • Contrast 100
    • Brightness 58
    • Sharpness 45
    • Colour 52
    • Colour tone Warm2
    Digital NR off
    Dynamic Contrast off
    Brightness sensor on

DVD via HDMI
    I use Standard again for this

You may need to adjust the settings yourself for personal preference, but the rule i use is
    • Set the colour down to 0 (black and white)
    • adjust contrast and brightness till the picture is acceptable
    • bring the colour back up to your desired level

Cheers Lad.;)

• Advertisement

MR DAZ wrote:
    Cheers Lad.;)

No problem, sure ya must be surrounded by them if you live in Samsungville :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hi Folks

Since we are on this subject of this tv, I bought the LE32R51BD in Curries Blanch day after st. stephens. No one said a word to me about the recall. Have had no issues since *fingers crossed*.

Anyway, I have a little question.

Is it possible to connect my Chorus Settop box to my Sony DAV550 DVD player (via scart from chorus and into the 'video in' of the sony using the bog std red, white (for audio) and yellow (for video) cables then 'video out' from my sony using my component cables to the TV. I tried but I just get audio and no picture.

Cheers

B

I wish... i just work for them - PC division;)

Is it possible to connect my Chorus Settop box to my Sony DAV550 DVD player (via scart from chorus and into the 'video in' of the sony using the bog std red, white (for audio) and yellow (for video) cables then 'video out' from my sony using my component cables to the TV. I tried but I just get audio and no picture.

I suspect the DVD player does not upconvert a composite signal to component. To chain devices together you will probably have to buy a upconverting av amp or some other external device that does support upconversion.

Note: The signal will still be of the same quality as the source, it will merely be output through the component cables. You won't suddenly be getting HD 720p pictures from the chorus box. (Composite video is one of the poorest quality for transmitting video, a better bet would be to try to upconvert svideo or even RGB Scart.)

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Sparky-s wrote:
    Aye, i have one of them myself.
    Brilliant tv, ive nothing but great opinions on this tv.

The picture is excellent from all the lcds ive seen, but if you do buy it and get it home you do have to tweak the picture and colour settings because they are too high from default (for the showrooms)
    I mainly use it for Sky via the RGB scart and the picture is top notch on good quality channels like sky movies and sky sports.
    Colour is nice and vibrant and doesnt look slightly washed out like the crt.
    Blacks on the tv are good for me, but some may say they are too bright, but thats where the dynamic contrast helps.
    HDTV on it, well what can i say, it blew me away, i actually became addicted to viewing hdtv on it because its what the tv does best.

Sound, its good and powerfull for my needs, but for movies i do use my surround sound.

I have a few pictures of when i got the tv, the sea shots of the tv are in HD, but the camera that took them dont do it justice, the rest are all of SD broadcasts.
    http://www.images.sparky-s.com/sp_index.php?dir=./Samsung32

I will recommend the Samsung HD850 HDMI dvd player as it upscales dvd films and i must say the films look nice and crisp and clear when its upscaled to 720p.

Im using the supplied stand that came with the tv, but plan to wall mount it in the near future, i havnt checked on wall mounts yet but they are expensive last time i checked.

Anyways hope this helps.

Major vertical banding in the hidef wmv screenshots. Still think plasma is superior to lcds. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Still think plasma is superior to lcds. :p
    Can you back up your statement? Am torn between Plasma and LCD myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

aaf wrote:
    Can you back up your statement? Am torn between Plasma and LCD myself.
    Sure. Inherent contrast, plasma starts at 3000:1 whereas lcd can start as low as 500:1. For movie watching plasma wins because the provides the CRT like image lcd can't. Lcd has bluey grey blacks, plasma is superior in this aspect but not perfect. Later on this year another tech will come along with better blacks, it's called SED. Anyways my reasoning as to why lcds are flying of the shelves are because, they are lightweight (in comparison) and hidef capable at a smaller size, hidef on really beings at 50" for plasma. Plasma isn't without it's own problems such as image retention, ie sky news logo, or skysports logo. Overall the cinema quality package is with plasma. Lcds excel at gaming and pc usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭davidmdickens

The people who have this LCD could you tell me if the wall
    bracket will work on this tv.

Wall Mounting LCD/ TFT Mount ( Articulated , Tilt & Swivel ) BT7515

or this one

Wall Mounting Articulated LCD / Plasma Mount BT8003

They are on this web page
    http://www.ricamstore.co.uk/erol.html#376x0&&

let me know what you think.

Cheer's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Is it wort getting?

Thanks

ShopIreland won't deliver large TVs here, but don't tell you that until after you've filled in all your details, which is bloody annoying.

I got a 41BD in early November, very happy with it so far. Got mine from www.savastore.com in the UK, took about 4 days from order until delivery here, only cost GBP 20 delivery. Just checked it, their current price is GBP 840, so about EUR 1290 including delivery. The interesting thing was the model advertised is the 41B, but when I got it it was actually the LE32R41BD one with the digital tuner - for the same price!

On the refresh rate - I've one mail from Samsung telling me there's no difference at all between the 41B and the 41BD apart from the digital tuner, and that the corresponding 51 models are the same as the 41s apart from the colour. But then I've another mail saying the refresh rate on the 41 is 16ms. And I think I've a third mail saying something else. And I've seen posts from other people who have been told 12ms.
    Now that I have it, I've watched a bit of football on it on RTE and Setanta, and it looks fine, no trails, so that's good enough for me.

I think the recall issue only affects certain 51s - the 41s seem to be OK, from what I've read. (I hope!)

Haven't used the wall bracket, so can't help you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Sure. Inherent contrast, plasma starts at 3000:1 whereas lcd can start as low as 500:1. For movie watching plasma wins because the provides the CRT like image lcd can't. Lcd has bluey grey blacks, plasma is superior in this aspect but not perfect. Later on this year another tech will come along with better blacks, it's called SED. Anyways my reasoning as to why lcds are flying of the shelves are because, they are lightweight (in comparison) and hidef capable at a smaller size, hidef on really beings at 50" for plasma. Plasma isn't without it's own problems such as image retention, ie sky news logo, or skysports logo. Overall the cinema quality package is with plasma. Lcds excel at gaming and pc usage.

Just wanted to add that in some cases Plasma tvs are not always an option because of the shear size of them. I may be mistaken but is 42" the entry level size. I could be wrong however. LCDs have a greater range of sizes and prices.

I just bought house and if I put a 42" plasma into the gaff I wouldn't have room for much else....

So, I'm gonna get the Sammy 32" mentioned by the OP.

Just wanted to add that Power city also stock this model. Its 1449 in the sale but I asked nicely and they said they'd do it for 1370 - not as cheap as the interweb but it ain't too bad.
    Better get saving :)

Advertisement