Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung LE32R41B 32" Help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

currys only sold one of the faulty tv's in Ireland, and it was recalled. I got one there too and asked my friend who works in their Mastercare warranty dept. to find out about the recall after reading about the sparky tv here. (I got a pc from them on Stevens' day and it blew up on me!)

my 32r51bd blew up on me this morning:mad:

Watching a dvd and smoke started seeping out from the top and bottom of the unit along with a high pitched whistling!!!!!

Going into Currys tomorrow with my angry head on:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭MickH503

ffocused wrote:

Watching a dvd and smoke started seeping out from the top and bottom of the unit along with a high pitched whistling!!!!!

:eek: Holy Sh1t!!! This doesn't inspire confidence in Samsung ... this was the telly that I planned on buying in the next few weeks. Have Samsung made any sort of public statement on this? Is it just r51's that are spontaneously combusting? Let us know how you get on with Currys ... I had to return a LCD monitor to them last year and got a new replacement straight away no probs ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

MickH503 wrote:
    :eek: Holy Sh1t!!! This doesn't inspire confidence in Samsung ... this was the telly that I planned on buying in the next few weeks. Have Samsung made any sort of public statement on this? Is it just r51's that are spontaneously combusting? Let us know how you get on with Currys ... I had to return a LCD monitor to them last year and got a new replacement straight away no probs ....

There was a 40 page thread on the AVforums about this TV, i also own an LE32R41b (same tv, cosmetic difference) and this is the first case i have heard of about this. Mines running 2 months daily without a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

gs39t wrote:
    There was a 40 page thread on the AVforums about this TV, i also own an LE32R41b (same tv, cosmetic difference) and this is the first case i have heard of about this. Mines running 2 months daily without a problem

ive the 41 model also since 19th november, and no bother.....so far.
    on average 5 hrs on a weekday, 13-15 on weekends.

• Advertisement

Sparky-s wrote:
    ive the 41 model also since 19th november, and no bother.....so far.
    on average 5 hrs on a weekday, 13-15 on weekends.

Thanks lads. I thought I read someone else on boards that had to bring their r41 or r51 back within a few weeks too, but I can't remember for sure!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

ffocused wrote:

that happened to mine after 13 days :mad: LE32R51BD , i bought it in dixons and they sourced a new set from pc world .

no problems with it so far but i take no chances and plug it out when leaving the house or going to bed.

was ment to ring dixons about the serial number on my replacment set but never got round to it , i noticed in the paper yesterday that they where not advertising the samsung 32 inch lcd so i'll ring today .

the first set was bought at the start of november .

Edit 1 / just back from dixons blanch and they have said that people who have the faulty set's have been contacted by samsung about it , i asked for the serial number range of the batch but they did not have it .

they took my info and said they will check it out but i think i'll just get onto samsung direct for an answer.

Edit 2 / rang samsung on 0818717100 and after a chat of about 10 min;s they say that there is not a recall and there was not a bad batch and me giving them the serial number of my replacment set would be of no use.

they also said that they have not been contacting people about replacing sets and dixons should have not said that as it was not true .

so now after trying dixons and samsung today i'm even more in the dark about the set .

I returned it yesterday and am getting an LG RZ37LZ55 instead for an extra EUR500:D . Should be collecting it on Saturday. (It has to be delivered from Currys in Limerick)

the 37" LCD's were over a grand more expensive when i got the Sammy.

Happy days are on the way.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

quazzy wrote:
    Just wanted to add that in some cases Plasma tvs are not always an option because of the shear size of them. I may be mistaken but is 42" the entry level size. I could be wrong however. LCDs have a greater range of sizes and prices.QUOTE]

Plasma starts at 37" and take up less much room as an older 32" Tube TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭familyguy

Are those the TV's they have in shops for trying out the Xbox 360 on?
    They are beautiful to look at.

What I want to know is, when those 360 kiosks disappear from shops, will there be a load of second hand Samsung TV's going for cheap?

I've got dibs on the one in my local Xtra-Vision:D

• Advertisement

familyguy wrote:
    Are those the TV's they have in shops for trying out the Xbox 360 on?
    They are beautiful to look at.

What I want to know is, when those 360 kiosks disappear from shops, will there be a load of second hand Samsung TV's going for cheap?

I've got dibs on the one in my local Xtra-Vision:D

yes the tvs microsoft are using are the samsung 26" LCD's

the LE26R41B

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭davidmdickens

The 360 kiosks things come from Euro-route in Blanch.
    They are a big warhouse company.
    They do not sell them or give them away.
    I know this because i work in the same building
    and the still have loads of the old xbox with tv's
    sitting around.

I am still waiting on DID to get the 32 inch Sam in stock
    but they will give me no date. A friend of my brothers
    works there so i get 10% off the sale price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The Samsung LE32R51B is on sale at http://www.komplett.ie for €1299 and in stock FYI

The Samsung LE32R51B is on sale at http://www.komplett.ie for €1299 and in stock FYI

not a bad price at all considering i paid €1600 for my 41B model.

And a good bit of info from the reviewer
    Reviewer: Nortonp
    I have this product for a week now. Spent a lot of time adjusting the picture to get a great picture. The samsung presets do not give an optium picture. The contrast on this screen is too much. For the best picture turn the Contrast down to 60, brighness up to 52, Sharpness on 50, Color 50 and normal. These setting work for me on standard NTL tv in dublin.

Sparky-s wrote:
    not a bad price at all considering i paid €1600 for my 41B model.

And a good bit of info from the reviewer
    I don't think I'd want to buy something this big/expensive on the web. The 32R41 was €1455 in Power City today ... hmmm tempting ...!;) But is it worth paying more for the 8ms refresh rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

these stats seem very reliable, so i'm pretty sure they are both have the 8ms response time ;)

http://www.samsung.com/fr/products/tv/lcdtv/lcd169/le32r41bxxec.asp

http://www.samsung.com/fr/products/tv/lcdtv/lcd169/le32r51bhxxec.asp

Woo hoo! I'm getting my Samsung today! Courier just rang. As for people saying they wouldn't buy something that big/expensive from the web, Komplett are a very reputable company. Between all my friends an I, we have spent a few grand on Komplett. I bought all the parts for a PC from them last year and no problems. If there is a problem, they're usually very helpful.

I know it sounds like I work for Komplett but I honestly don't, it's just a shame for people to miss out on good prices. They are doing some deals on LG LCDs at the moment and plenty of others.

i would of bought from komplett, but i was a bit uneasy because at such big money i didnt want to chance it, plus it may be hastle if something went wrong with the tv, now not saying komplett will make things difficult, but i felt a bit rest assured that if anything went wrong with mine, DID was only 10minutes away.
    Of course i have purchased a good bit off komplett over the past 13months and have never had a problem with them.

Giblet wrote:
    these stats seem very reliable, so i'm pretty sure they are both have the 8ms response time ;)

http://www.samsung.com/fr/products/tv/lcdtv/lcd169/le32r41bxxec.asp

http://www.samsung.com/fr/products/tv/lcdtv/lcd169/le32r51bhxxec.asp
    Thanks Giblet, that's good info. The specs on Samsung's UK website doesn't mention refresh rate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭davidmdickens

Woo hoo! I'm getting my Samsung today! Courier just rang. As for people saying they wouldn't buy something that big/expensive from the web, Komplett are a very reputable company. Between all my friends an I, we have spent a few grand on Komplett. I bought all the parts for a PC from them last year and no problems. If there is a problem, they're usually very helpful.

I know it sounds like I work for Komplett but I honestly don't, it's just a shame for people to miss out on good prices. They are doing some deals on LG LCDs at the moment and plenty of others.

Hi
    Can you tell us what the tv is like?
    Are you happy with it?

I odered mine today from DID with an arm wall bracket but will not
    get it for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Hi
    Can you tell us what the tv is like?
    Are you happy with it?

I odered mine today from DID with an arm wall bracket but will not
    get it for 2 weeks.

Hi,
    I got the TV delivered to my parent's place (works out handier for me), i'll be collecting it this evening, and i'll give it a thorough testing over the weekend. I won't be able to post here again until Monday(the joys of having internet at work ;) ), but i'll leave you know then what I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I bought the 26" LE-26R41B version in August last year from dabs and have been very pleased with the display.

Pros:
    Excellent picture quality
    Good range of inputs component, scart, S-video, VGA, HDMI/DVI, composite
    HDTV ready
    Decent range of options for altering the picture quality and sound
    I think that it is good value for money others may disagree.

Cons:
    Out of the box picture pushed a blue tone too strongly this can be changed of course (This may no longer apply as Samsung updated the firmware of the TVs) and you need to tweak it a bit to get it to your liking.
    Their was a v-sync bug in the firmware in the early models that caused tearing when running with NTSC & HDTV resolutions likes 720p, Samsung issued a firmware update last year that fixed the problem (I myself did the update to my own TV) so again it probably no longer applies to shipping models.
    I would have preferred a quick button to cycle though the inputs instead of pressing source for each one or going through menu then source but its a minor niggle.

What’s hooked up:
    Chorus digital->Scart RGB
    WinXP MCE 2005->VGA
    Xbox->Component (chipped with HDTV pack running at 720p)
    PS2->Component (connected though component splitter was through S-video before)

Picture quality on Chorus is as to be expected but on the channels were Chorus take the freeview feed you can see the quality of the signal.

MCE though the VGA connection is great or any PC as its very handy to hook it up and not have to worry about fiddling with the display controls trying to get it the desktop display correctly because it works just like a normal monitor. Games were also fine ran a few titles and didn’t observe anything out of the ordinary.

Xbox picture quality though the Xbox is excellent I was worried it might be worse than my analogue TV but to my surprise it was better.

PS2 this was connected to the S-video connection and the picture quality wasn’t bad a major step up over composite but on component it gives a very clear picture though obviously the console is showing its age.

Samsung has since when I got mine launched newer models these ones no longer have the speaker at the bottom but have it at the sides they also feature a better contrast ratio oddly though it seems for some of them at least they removed the HDMI connector and replaced it with a DVI one.

Overall I'm very pleased with the display & also my brothers in law are both planning to buy the same Samsung display as well from watching TV and DVDs on it.

my tvs still on last mays firmware, ive to make myself up a 3.5 jack plug to 9pin D-sub and install the firmware i have soon to the september one thats said to be the most stable.

You can call Samsung in the UK and they will send the cable out to you, it took 2 or 3 weeks for mine to arrive in fact I was about to call them again the day it arrived :D I had thought about asking someone to make the cable for me but I chickened out as I didn't want to take the risk.

All they ask for are the details of the TV from the back of it serial number/model number etc cant remember if they asked for the firmware version but you can get that from the service menu.

I haven't been really keeping tabs on the issue after I got the update but you only need it if you want to run a NTSC device off the TV the PAL side is unaffected from what I recall.

For those interested in the displays Samsung UK have a listing of them, though when listing the inputs 1EA means it has one input of this type why they just don't put 1 is beyond me. Pretty much all the displays from 23" up to 46" use the same generation panel some of the ones in the LExxMxxB range have a slightly improved contrast ratio but nothing else of note bar the housing redesign.

Also Samsung Germany is the place to go to see what are the latest TVs Samsung has because the newest models always show up here first in the EU by contrast the UK version is still listing some of the older models (The UK does have unique models which are the BDX kind these have an integrated Freeview tuner which isn't all that useful over here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭In IRL

you guys seem to know a lot about Displays. Just out of curiosity, is the 102 inch plasma display available, and if so, how much is it? Can't seem to find it on the official website.

In IRL wrote:
    you guys seem to know a lot about Displays. Just out of curiosity, is the 102 inch plasma display available, and if so, how much is it? Can't seem to find it on the official website.

oh yeah there made alright Samsung and LG made ones about a year ago, but afaik they are not in full production yet, but when they are expect to pay around €70,000 for them :D, plus you wont need a heater in the room, the display will heat the room.

Hi,

Anyway I spent the entire weekend messing around with the TV. I agree almost totally with 8T8s comments.

Picture quality is excellent. I hooked Sky and a DVD player via SCART, and a Xbox 360 via HD component cables. The 360 comes with two HD videos on the hard drive, both look excellent. I tried some DVDS. Saving Private Ryan and the start of Gladiator looked well with their bleak greyish pictures. Then I tried Swordfish which is a much more colourful film and that looked great too. All the DVDs were played using Progressive scanning. 360 games looked excellent too in 720p.

The cons are fairly short. The most annoying thing is what 8T8 said, that you have to cycle through the sources rather than skipping straight to what you want. Another thing is that the stand seems slightly wobbly, even though I was very careful to screw it onto the set properly.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

Actually one other thing is that you get a bunch of presets that control the picture quality plus a custom option but I didn’t really find any of the presets to my liking and you can’t use multiple versions of the custom setting which would allow you to fine tune the picture to each device so you need to balance it between all the various devices you have hooked up.

This is what I used, obviously wont be to everyone’s liking but I find it better then relying on the presets;

Mode: Custom
    Contrast: 95
    Brightness: 52
    Sharpness: 25
    Colour: 50
    Colour Tone: Normal

Digital NR: On
    Dynamic Contrast: Off
    Brightness Sensor: Off

My Colour Control ->Easy Control->Standard

you can edit all the picture presets, you do know that?
    just go to picture >>>mode>>>>>>>select which picture mode, then press >>> again and adjust the picture settings.

you can then use the p.mode button to then cycle through them.

• Advertisement

I must give that a try I never tried altering the presets in fact I didn't think you could, that would be handy because I can turn up the sharpness for the consoles and leave it turned down for Chorus thanks for the tip Sparky-s :cool:

Advertisement