Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On NTL BB -> Setting up wireless -> Any guide links?

• 30-12-2005 3:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Currently on the NTL broadband using an ethernet connection.

Im upgrading to an wireless network for the lads in the gaff. So 3 wireless connections are required and as secure as possible.

Does anyone know of a link to a step by step guide to this?
    Also -> ASDL wireless router wouldnt work with 1+ connections required isnt that correct? It has to be a dsl/cable modem?

PcWares

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

should be easy enough. However, don't forget you FIREWALL settings.:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

This is a handy resource for NTL customers.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/dhcp.html

1 Setup wireless router first. Assign a network description (typically name of your house) Setup wireless secuirty giving it a password.

2 Configure firewall on router machine giving access to an IP range 192.680.15.100 - 1005 for WRT54GP2 or 192.168.0.100 - 105 for WRT54G. This always catches me out

3 Install wireless PCI card on machine. Install software. In the control panel you should see "Setup wireless network". Double click to connect.

4 Configure firewall to connect to router machine.

5 Repeat step 3 as necessary.

Caution. IP address are assigned based on first come first serve. So, if you boot up machine "C" before the router/sever machine, "C" machine gets assigned 192.168.0.100. So to avoid this, as said in point 2, for every machine, configure your firewall to permit access to a RANGE of IP's

Hope that helps:v:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 847 ✭✭✭pcwares

thanks alot

H new year.

PcWares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

RedRooster wrote:

2 Configure firewall on router machine giving access to an IP range 192.680.15.100 - 1005 for WRT54GP2 or 192.168.0.100 - 105 for WRT54G. This always catches me out

Caution. IP address are assigned based on first come first serve. So, if you boot up machine "C" before the router/sever machine, "C" machine gets assigned 192.168.0.100. So to avoid this, as said in point 2, for every machine, configure your firewall to permit access to a RANGE of IP's

Hope that helps:v:

how do you change the IP range?, specifically for the
    WRT54G. i went into the router settings page 192.168.1.1 but could not find the option to change these firewall settings

also other general settings: is the connection type DHCP and what are the host and domain names?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

its ok figured it out

i disabled the routers firewall in the set up with the cd.

the connection is DCHP as long as i set THE COMPUTERS internet connection as a specific IP (along with specific gateway etc...) and allowed nortons firewall access to that specific IP

• Advertisement
Advertisement