Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Little bump in car = €1000 damage

Options
  • 30-12-2005 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

So ill keep this one quick, my mam is in the supermarket there 2 months ago and as she was reversing from her car space an old woman in a yaris drives in her way, but luckily my mam hit the brakes but just enough to give a bump on the yaris and a bit of cracking in the paintwork, no bigger than if someone hit their fist to the rear panel.

So anyway the woman reckoned she should go and get it fixed and then contact my mam for payment, but my mam had a feeling that if so, it wouldnt be controled and she could be paying for more than she should be, so she got in contact with the insurance and asked advise.
    So they said it would be better if they got their assessors to check it out and sort everything.
    So she went that route and today she got a letter to explain that the total damage was €1000 and that 15hrs of labour was used to take out the bump.

But what makes me wonder, is how does it take 15hrs to take out a bump, ive seen these people use these suction cups and it would take no longer than an hour at least.
    Unless they are charging for the paint drying:confused:

If its like that for a bump, jesus any bigger and the car would of being a write off in terms of cost.

Has she been overcharged or is this the expected price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Shes being over charged. Once a body shop hears that its an insurance quote they inflate the charge.. Shes prob best to go and allow the other woman get it fixed but before she commits to the work, get her to ask your mum if its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If she has been billed for it, she's entitled to a full breakdown of the work that was carried out. Get your mum to get a detailed invoice for the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

15 hrs is a bit over the top,

the main procedure for getting a dent out of a car is,

hitting the dent out from behind the damaged panel,

grinding the paint off so the isopon- body filler has something to stick to

a few layers of isopn

primer

paint.

most deff you were over charged, more than likely the car was sent to a large garage where most of the work there is insurance jobs, so for the company to make it worth thier while they milk the job,

you were much better sending the car to a smallerbody shop, where most of the work there is not insurance jobs because the workers want to keep costs down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

[A little OT -- but not too much!!]

Almost the exact same thing happend to me except I was the car the was damaged/reversed into. I was stopped at red lights in a line of traffic and a car reversed into me from a on-street parking spot.

My car is a small but newish car valued at around €11,000eur. The front part of the car is all 'driven-in/damaged' and the front lights are destroyed -- making the car not road worthy -- no front right indicator light.

They admitted it was their fault, etc. The person who did the damage asked me to get a quote and they would pay for it. I don't want to screw the person out of money but I do want the damage repaired correctly. As it's christmas time I haven't been able to get to a garage yet but will do in the new year.

I am planning on selling the two year old car in about 3 months. Will the repair work effect it's trade-in price?

My gut reaction is to bring it to the main dealer where I purchased the car and get it fixed professionally.

My question is:

Is this the correct thing to do (more expensive?), or should I bring it to a small bodyshop and get a lower quote but potentially effect my trade-in value more?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Well the job went ahead, the insurance company said to go ahead and do it, she is looking for a breakdown of costs, but from what the guy said, they sent the car to a SIMI garage.

My dad reckons they may have replaced the whole quarter panel. And maybe the woman rented out a car aswell

I reckon we have been overcharged, only thing now is everything is done so once we see the breakdown ill see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

tigerbalm wrote:
    I am planning on selling the two year old car in about 3 months. Will the repair work effect it's trade-in price?

Hi, yes!! Someone ploughed into the back of my car this year and caused 5000 damage. The car was worth 14,500 before the accident, now it is worth 12,500. Go to the main dealer and get it done professionally and claim off their insurance for it. You will definitely be out of pocket becuase of this - unless the person who crashed into you covers for both damage and depreciation.

Just be aware that insurance companies will try to screw you on your entitlement. They say that you are entitled to 5% of the pre-vat repair costs for depreciation. This is incorect. i had an independant loss accessor see my car after the crash and they said ... no ... becuase the chasis was damaged (structural damage) that it is 10 - 20% of the pre-accident market value of the car. If there was structural damage - this would cover your depreciation.

I am stuck with my car - can't afford to trade it in this year now. The difference is too much.

---

@Sparky.
    I tipped into a woman once at a roundabout and there was NO paint damage. It was an Alfa Romeo and the plastic bumper had a teeny white mark on it. Quite insignificant.
    The next year my insurance went from 900 euros to 1450 euros!!
    I wanted to pay this myself, but the insurance company went behind my back and did it!! (long story). The bill was 1300 euros. The mark was about 2 mm long!

They collected the car from her workplace, fixed the scratch, left a rental car in the carpark of her workplace. When she got her car back later it was fully valeted. BUT - I deserved it!! I should have been paying attention!! I accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah bubby, thats what i reckon, the insurance crowd has treated her like royalty, so im quite sure they gave her a rental car etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

My dad reckons they may have replaced the whole quarter panel.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

its very unlikely they replaced a 1/4 panel and besides the bill would be alot more than 1,000 e,

most places do offer a rental car so it is likely she took advantage of the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You should insist on seeing the Motor Assessors report. As Volvoboy said earlier its very unlikely the quarter panel was replaced.S.I.M.I. and S.I.M.I. approved garages are the biggest shower of gangsters going, so I wouldn't go by what they say. Nearly all the insurance companies are using the Glassmatics estimation system at this stage and the bill would have to be justified. As a matter of fact the profit margins are so small with insurance jobs nowadays I gave up doing them and as well as waiting an age to get paid from them, it was the best move I made in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Doesn't sound outta this world to be honest....I've had 2 minor incidents both of which cost in the region of €1k.....to be honest....most garages don't seem to want to panel beat anymore and just replace the whole panel/door...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭halkar

Sounds a lot. Someone put a bump to my driver's side door about 3-4 years ago in a car park and cost me €250 including all respray of the door because of the metallic paint. I left the car for two days, got a replacement car with no extra cost. It was the main dealer I bought the car from did the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

junkyard wrote:
    You should insist on seeing the Motor Assessors report. As Volvoboy said earlier its very unlikely the quarter panel was replaced.

Axa will under no circumstance furnish their assessor's report. I have been there. You need to get your own assessor to assess the damage.

Advertisement